Factory 338 Lapua carry rifle for hunting?

Looking at getting a 338 lapua in a hunting gun. The savage LRH seems about the best bang for the buck. Any other I should consider?
I used to have the Savage 110BA in 338 Lapua. After attaching a Terminator T4 (aka - American Precision Fat Bastard) Gen 1 muzzlebrake, I got my reloads down to same hole at 100yds, about 1/4" at 200yds, and 1.75" groups at 600yds (under .29 moa). I found the Savage to be the most accurate 338 Lapua I've ever shot (and big bang for the money!). I sold it because of the frequent brass sticking in the chamber (read numerous Forums on this problem of which Savage denies). Because no brass sticking issues were commented on the Ruger Precision, I then purchased a Ruger Precision in 338 Lapua to replace the Savage. Yes, even after quick firing of the Ruger, no sticking issues. I found the Ruger to be accurate (5/16" at 100yds & 5/8" at 200yds) but not as accurate as the Savage. I just ordered the American Precision Gen3 Fat Bastard Self-Timing muzzlebrake (updated version of the T4 brake). According a some barrel makers, the muzzlebrake will affect the barrel harmonics, which will affect the accuracy. I found this to be true on the Savage. So, when I receive and attach the new muzzlebrake (possibly next week) I will be doing some range testing to see if the accuracy improves on the Ruger 338 Lapua.
I hope this helps.

I'm another one with the Weatherby Mark V Accumark. I spent the extra few hundred and got the "range certified" version. It is an absolute tack driver with 250's and 300's but is just average with lighter bullets. It is also on the heavier side for a carry rifle but is fine for long range shooting from stands which is what I got it for.

Looking at getting a 338 lapua in a hunting gun. The savage LRH seems about the best bang for the buck. Any other I should consider?
The Savage is a great gun. I've had one for years. I shoot 300 grain bergers at mag depth with retumbo. Out to 1800 yards plinking with it.

It's also manageable for lugging into places. It's a well rounded gun for the thick stuff I hunt in where we hike a few miles in and lob bullets across canyons.

The Savage is a great gun. I've had one for years. I shoot 300 grain bergers at mag depth with retumbo. Out to 1800 yards plinking with it.

It's also manageable for lugging into places. It's a well rounded gun for the thick stuff I hunt in where we hike a few miles in and lob bullets across canyons.
Savage rifles' out-of-the-box accuracy and DIY friendliness are hard to beat.

I'm another one with the Weatherby Mark V Accumark. I spent the extra few hundred and got the "range certified" version. It is an absolute tack driver with 250's and 300's but is just average with lighter bullets. It is also on the heavier side for a carry rifle but is fine for long range shooting from stands which is what I got it for.
Never mind, we talked before.

Last edited:
I've got a Christensen Arms in 338 Lapua. Only weighs 7.1 lbs bare. Put a NF ATACR on it, so it's basically 10 lbs and well balanced. Shot the mountain goat in my profile photo with it on Kodiak Island. Had a 7 hour "Bataan Death March" hike in high winds and rain into what became base camp and the rifle was never an issue as far as weight was concerned. It's a tack driver. Only issue for me with the rifle is the chamber has really tight tolerances. I had to neck turn all my Lapua brass but not any of my Nosler brass. I was getting sticky and hard to extract brass on any of my reloads even though I was below pressure. Neck turning cured that as well as changing to Nosler brass
Sounds like that gun has problems.