300 RUM or 338 RUM for 1000m hunting

I see your BR tendencies are showing, as a LRH I am not interested in 5 Shot groups. I have never shot 5 shot at an animal. What I am interested in is "PUTTING THE FIRST SHOT IN THE KILL ZONE". The 300 SMK does this with boring regularity for me out of my 338 Lapua.

I never shoot more than 3 shot group and they hit well with-in the kill zone with boring regularity.

Just before hunting season I shot 1 shot at 600 yards and my steel 12" circle steel plate, then 2 days latter I shot 1 more shot at the same target and then 1 week latter I shot 1 more round at the same target and all 3 shots were with-in 2". That is all that I am concerned about is frist round hits in the kill zone.

I practice the same way at 1K and beyound. First round hits in the kill zone is all that should matter to the LRH.

That is the way to do, gun) Train like you plan to hunt, cold bore shots.

Cheeers,

Master Diver

MD, The GS Customs are an awesome hunting bullet. but they are much more effecient at shorter ranges. Gerard told me they need an impact velocity over 2400 to work best, of course the faster the better. their terminal performance at slower speeds is not the best. again, they are meant to be driven at very high velocities to work best. they are best suited for ranges under 500 yards.

secondly, the advertized BC's seems to be very generous. i can remember 2 individuals on here that tested them, along with several other bullets and their BC's were considerably lower than what is claimed.

generally speaking, at long range, the match bullets work best because of their long range accuracy, high BC's, and most importantly, their ability to kill at long range.

I agree with you totally, however if one is using match bullets for hunting one could also use GS Custom match bullets if they comply with the twist recomended.
Most hunting bullets will NOT be within the velocity that the manufacture recomends for maximum terminal performance.
What cal. .30 (300 RUM) hunting bullet would you recomend for 1000m small game/roebuck?

Cheers,

Master Diver

Question: See all these posts re 600 - 1000 yard kills with 338RUM etc. I have a 700 Classic 338 Win Mag with a VariX111 - 3.5-10 scope. Shoot 210 gr Nosler in front of 77.0 Gr of H4831 , Win Mag primers. At 100 yards my first three shots from a clean and cold barrel, all touch. Should still be at 1500 fp at 500 yards. Am I then OK to 500 yards on muleys and elk? Please advise. If so I need to find a place to practice. My furthest elk was 175 yards with 7 mm Mag.

After buying my first 300rum i didn't think i would ever be with out one. that was till the edge came along and i got one. after shooting the edge and the 300rum side by side at 500yrd at 1/2" plat steel and seeing the dif there is no way i would go back to the 300 for a 1000yrd hunting rig. the 300rum with 220smk it would make a little dent in it and the edge blows though it so hard that it will punch a plug of steel out of the plate and 9 time out of 10 though a piece of 3/4"ply wood with a hole the size of a quarter. i have found a couple of the plugs embedded in the wood. It's a big difference between the two as for as down range knock down power. the big 338's just have the power to knock the living sh!!! out of what they hit.

If your going to be a bear you mit as well be a grizzly.

Bear2, you've got plenty of killing power for elk at 500.

MD, i'm with 475, 208 A-max, 210 Berger, 200 or 210 SMK. whichever shoots best.

Jeff300, i'm with ya 100%. i don't care what the ft lbs. of energy or any numbers say. the 338's just hit a lot harder.

After buying my first 300rum i didn't think i would ever be with out one. that was till the edge came along and i got one. after shooting the edge and the 300rum side by side at 500yrd at 1/2" plat steel and seeing the dif there is no way i would go back to the 300 for a 1000yrd hunting rig. the 300rum with 220smk it would make a little dent in it and the edge blows though it so hard that it will punch a plug of steel out of the plate and 9 time out of 10 though a piece of 3/4"ply wood with a hole the size of a quarter. i have found a couple of the plugs embedded in the wood. It's a big difference between the two as for as down range knock down power. the big 338's just have the power to knock the living sh!!! out of what they hit.

If your going to be a bear you mit as well be a grizzly.

+1 Well stated

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.