Which is better, 300 RUM or 338 RUM?

What bullet would you guys reccomend shooting out of the 300 RUM? I want to go no lighter than 180g. I want a bullet that will still hold up fairly well at close range, and still expand out to 600 yards fairly well. I also want a bullet with a good BC. My first choice maybe the new 200g Nosler Accubond. What do you all think?

I think the 200gr Accubond would be the great comprimise... if they shoot well in your gun.
wink.gif
They kill anything well, but the 165 Interbond would too. The difference between the 180 and 165 isn't much at 600 yards but compare the 240 SMK and the 165 at 800 and now they start parting ways.
wink.gif
Using the heavier bullet will help with retained weight as well as it running a bit slower ta boot.

I will be honest and say I'm not a real big fan of Hornady bullets. I am partial to Noslers. B-tips have been my choice for varmints to deer, and partitions have been on my elk/bear hunts. I am only 17 years old. I have a place where I can shoot out to 1000 yards that takes me 5 minutes to drive from my house. I love my 25/06, been shooting it for about 2 1/2 years now and its time for a new barrel. A leupold vx2, 6-18 Target sits atop and also have a Nikon Laser 800 rangefinder. I love being able to use the clicks out to 600 yards, it works super well. It would be impossible to guesstimate holdover out to that range. I have shot everything with this gun from p-dogs to bear, from 25 yards to a muley buck at 604 yards, however, last weekend I hit a big black bear at 200 yards with a 120g partition and he ran off like nothing happened. Ended up not even finding the bear. Did not find any blood. It really made me mad because last year I shot a black bear at 440 yards with my 25/06 and 115g B-tip and it only went 75 yards before piling up. I am a firm believe now on big magnums. They do have there place. I will practice about everyday just like I do with my 25/06 on milk jugs at 400-600 yards. The ultra mags seem to be a good choice to knock bears and elk off there butts out to my long range distance of 600 yards. With practice and time, I would like to extend out to 800. I have shot targets at 800 with my 25/06 and my groups are running about 10-14 inches for 3 shots. That is no good for hunting anything in my books. At 500 yards I have shot 2.5"-5" 3 shot groups. Good enough for any deer let alone an elk. I will be putting a muzzle break on the 300 RUM beast, I feel that the lighter kicking guns are able to shoot well at longer distance. I will also put a Leupold vx2, 6-18 Target with the knobs to allow me in shooting longer distances. I will probly shoot this gun about every other day a couple shots at milk jugs at 400-600. Just for practice. I use a harris bi-pod and lay prone for all my long range hunting and shooting. Do you guys think this will be a decent set up for what I am wanting it to do? Thanks for all the replys. You have been more than helpful.

25-06

I think the 300 RUM will do everything you want and more. Search this forum on what some of these guys have done with the 300 RUM and wildcats built from it, you will be amazed.

Frank D

rem,

you are doing well, and have the right idea and outlook.
cool.gif
Keep your leathal range reality based like you are and your success will be near 100 percent.
smile.gif
Wish I had known what you do know when I was just 17!!
grin.gif
The 300 will serve you very well the way you are set up. You know your limitations and that will keep your success rate very high! Sorry to hear about your bear gettin away. I had mine get away too, I just got lucky in the end and got another shot at him a little later though. I think I misjudged the uphill angle just enough to miss on the 450 yards shot. My group size at that range, coupled with a slightly misjudged angle on a bear with a fairly small body size "must" have stacked up against me. I'll have a angle indicator mounted on the scope next time!

Remingtonman,
I like where you are and like where you are headed. As Brent said if only I knew what you know at 17! I talked my brother into a 338 RUM, but follow the advice of these that know more than me - get the 300 RUM. The only thing wrong with the Vari-X II 6-18 is that it is not a Vari-X III 6.5-20. It has obviously taught you well and is better than any piece of glass I had at your age.
Welcome to the forum and good shooting. You are in the right place with where you want to go.

Thanks to all of you guys. You were all very helpfull and very nice about everything. I have my 300 RUM RCBS dies, Rem cases, H-1000 powder, 200g Accubond, Leupold rings/bases, and my Leupold vx2, 6-18 Target already ordered and on the way to my house. I have definately decided on the 300 RUM and will be going with the Rem Sendero SF. I looked at one yesterday and the feel and balance of it was unbelievable. I loved it. The price is $770. Not to bad. I will have the money saved up in about 1 1/2 months. I should have it all set up just in time for the fall bear season that starts August 1st. I cant wait to start breaking it in and working with it to find a good load. Thats my favorite thing to do. Once again I thank you guys for your help.

Brent

You said something about an angle indicator on your scope? I am very interested in knowing what this is. I also had an experience 3 years ago on a bear that was what im guessing to be 45 degrees downhill at about 475 yards. I was shooting my .300 Win Mag. at the time. I shot way over him because of the angle. I did not compensate for the angle. Also 3 years ago, I did not know even 1/2 the stuff I do now about ballistics. If you can lead me in the direction of that angle it would really be a help. I have found from my studies that for long range shooting, anything over probly about 400 yards with a 30degree angle you definately need to compensate for how high you will now shoot. Thanks.

S1 wrote:

Unless you are going to shoot the barrel out in less than 1 year, I would stick with the 300, some of the new bullet tech will be available for the 30 long before it is made in a 338.

Exactly what do you mean 'bout that???
I've always belived that the .300 will burn more steel!?
frown.gif

25-06,
I have a 300RUM LSS. This thing is a beast compared to my 06. I dont know how big you are, but im 18 and weigh about 165 and this gun knocked my socks off with 180gr partitions. I opted for the muzzlebreak which now kicks less than my 30-06. But its super loud. I was torn between the 300 and 338 as well but I will mainly be shooting whitetail at long range and the occational elk trip so I opted for the 300RUM. I dont know if you are aware but the 300RUM case is slightly larger then the 338RUM. I use 165gr ballistic tips on whitetail which obliverates them and plan on using the 200gr accu-bond for elk this november. You going to need a trigger job so you dont flinch. You will not be dissapointed in this caliber!

I mounted a Leopold Long range 6.5X20X50mm scope (silver)

[ 06-15-2003: Message edited by: smoak ]

smoak

I am 17, 6'2 and 148 lbs. Pretty **** skinny. I also do not like recoil as I feel you cant shoot them as accurate at longer range. That is why I also opt for muzzle brakes on everything larger than 25/06. I can still shoot .300 Win Mags with full power house 180's and the such accurately, but dont like to do so in continuous shooting sesssions. I like to be able to see my hits through my scope. I can work on Remington triggers myself, I just bought a Rem 700 .222 Rem and worked on the trigger and got it down to a nice 2 1/4 lbs. I am opting for the Sendero just because of the extra added weight for recoil, and also bull barrel for accuracy and barrel life. My first thought was the LSS because of that pretty laminated stock. I am now planning on shooting the 200g SMK, and if those wont shoot, I will try the 220g SMK. I will mount a Leupold vx2, 6-18 Target. I would like the vx3 LR scopes, but **** they are spendy. I want this rifle for sheer power for elk and bears up and out to 600 yards. I am located in Eastern Oregon and can get some way out there shots. 600 is my effective range though, and with no wind. How far are you hitting out to with your 300 RUM? My coyote/antelope/deer rifle is my 25/06. I have 5 other big game rifles, but dont shoot them like I do my 25/06. It is nice to see another young adult (kid) in long range hutning/shooting. I have never met anyone or talked to anyone that is so much into it than me. Most kids our age are out doing other things or involved in other things, but my number one hobby and interest is definately reloading, shooting, and hunting.

Rem,

I'm not sure if you are aware of it or not so I'll just state a major difference between the VXII and the VXIII.

The VXII has a rubber friction type turret adjustment stop. The VXIII has positive clicks at each 1/4 MOA interval.... this is a nice feature if you dial in the come ups.
smile.gif

I know what you mean about the price difference, but the optics are clearer and the adjustment positive, and opt for an adjustable objective if you can swing it.

No matter what else you can live without, I think you'd be happier considering where you're at right now with positive clicks in those turrets.

Good luck with what ever you choose though, just my opinion... and everyone's got one.
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts