338 build

RL33 has been given me a little velocity increase over H1000 and Retumbo in the .338 RUM and Edge with 300 grain bullets.

I'm extremely happy with the 338 RUM. Getting 12+ firings shooting Nosler brass with the 300 EH and RL-33. Nosler brass has been very easy to find. For a hunting rifle the RUM does everything I need it to do. In two years the rifle has taken two bull elk, four cow elk and a bear. All 1 shot kills between 15 and 800 yards.

I'm extremely happy with the 338 RUM. Getting 12+ firings shooting Nosler brass with the 300 EH and RL-33. Nosler brass has been very easy to find. For a hunting rifle the RUM does everything I need it to do. In two years the rifle has taken two bull elk, four cow elk and a bear. All 1 shot kills between 15 and 800 yards.
The only thing on the planet that MAY kill better than the 338 would be a 375 with the 350 SMK or maybe Ebola. I killed deer with the 50 BMG before I ever built a 338 and the 338 with a 300gr SMK outkilled the 50 with a 750gr Amax.

The only thing on the planet that MAY kill better than the 338 would be a 375 with the 350 SMK or maybe Ebola. I killed deer with the 50 BMG before I ever built a 338 and the 338 with a 300gr SMK outkilled the 50 with a 750gr Amax.
ROFLH (Rolling on the Floor Laughing Hysterically)

I got some RL-33 to try and never gave it a go. It is supposed to be faster at lower pressures.

I got some RL-33 to try and never gave it a go. It is supposed to be faster at lower pressures.

I would believe this; I'm getting better velocity and Remington primer pockets seem to last a little longer. Not really having to push it hard and getting better results.

I have ten firings on my 338 NM brass.Bought back when for $165/100,feel like I got my moneys worth by then.300 grn at 2750v,have two because I saw one on here for sale that I liked kinda my practice rifle,although taken bull moose,elk,muleys and bear.But I would probably go Lapua

RL33 does great with the heavy bullets. I am getting about 120 more FPS with RL33 compared to H1000 shooting the 300 grain bullets.

Shooting the 280 LRX I was getting about 80-100 extra FPS. The tough part about shooting the all coppers is they take more room in the case because they are longer and 33 is right at edge of being too slow in the RUM case and the load gets compressed which I do not like.

When I dropped down to the 250 grain bullets I saw very little difference with 33 compared to H1000.

I chose to go with the NM. Reasons just were a "seemingly" better design with 300 grain bullets and I didn't think I would need the speed when lobbing such a large chunk of metal. Plus I like to try out the newer things. I get the brass on clearance sales so it's not too bad.

First step in my build is complete. Ordered today

stock_tactical_XTR.jpg

Mcmillan XTR

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.