338 lapua build

Alex, guys might not notice that Tom is hand feeding that beast at that rate.And as you know he is world record accurate.

Alex, guys might not notice that Tom is hand feeding that beast at that rate.And as you know he is world record accurate.
Im just trying to break the common idea that single shots are slow. I have killed multiple running elk with them and never felt like my 2nd and 3rd shots were too slow. Especially when it comes to long range, where you have time to set up and usually do not need a follow up. But even when you do, its fast. The rounds feed better, never jam, dont beat hollow points closed and dont loosen neck tension. It all adds up to better accuracy and on game performance, seating the pressure ring of the bullet passed the sized part of the neck is well known to loosen with neck tension. Not a single accuracy minded competition out there has competitors seating bullets passed the sized part of the neck. Seating a bullet deeper than it should be to facilitate mag feeding is a sacrifice in so many areas. Now if we are talking a short mag or light weight for mid range I dont really see an issue, but with these big, true long range cases you need all the accuracy you can possibly find if you plan to take those really long shots IMO.

That's funny!

It still doesn't generate the same velocity as the lapua or edge.

This is false! build all 3 to function through a CIP length DBM mag box and The 338 norma will hang all day long! now build the lapua and edge in a single feed or 4.00 wyatts and they will edge it out!

The cip- bottom metal offers quite a bit longer oal & u can run several different hunting bullets at different oal of your choice. The mags hold 5 I believe and oal differs from manufacturers but for sure there's one that's 3.850" and another 4.050" for 338 LM

This is false! build all 3 to function through a CIP length DBM mag box and The 338 norma will hang all day long! now build the lapua and edge in a single feed or 4.00 wyatts and they will edge it out!

I'll agree it's negligible at standard lengths. Why would anyone do that? Add a wyatt's like you said and it's not that close. The Norma is maxed out regardless of cip. With about $125 worth of product/labor the LM and edge have much more usable capacity. No replacement for displacement.

building a 338 Lapua and would like it to be mag fed. from what I am reading you cant feed 300 grain pills through a mag due to length. If this is the case how small do you have to go to be able to use a mag, 285gn., 250gn? would really like to use 300's but don't want to lose the case capacity by seating them deep enough to mag feed. any help?
Who said you can't load a magazine with
.300 gr. I do....no issues..using 300 gr. Sierra's BTHP Match....Weatherby Tac Mark

I believe the mag that carries 4.050 is a chassis system. Not a bottom metal configuration. Pretty impressive. CIP is 3.850 max OAL ( I believe ) More than that a single feed is the only other option. My TAC 338 action bottom metal CIP mag set up carries 3.850 loaded rounds. Not sure if modifying my load port is an option but only 3.850" ammo will fit in my mags. I shoot the improved version of the LM and 300 grain Berger's will fit in the mags adequately at just under 3.850. For maximum performance loading to 4.00+ is ideal. Another option is the 300 SMKs. They will do better in the mag fed guns with limited length.

I believe the mag that carries 4.050 is a chassis system. Not a bottom metal configuration. Pretty impressive. CIP is 3.850 max OAL ( I believe ) More than that a single feed is the only other option. My TAC 338 action bottom metal CIP mag set up carries 3.850 loaded rounds. Not sure if modifying my load port is an option but only 3.850" ammo will fit in my mags. I shoot the improved version of the LM and 300 grain Berger's will fit in the mags adequately at just under 3.850. For maximum performance loading to 4.00+ is ideal. Another option is the 300 SMKs. They will do better in the mag fed guns with limited length.
How far off the lands are you seating?

Posted this in the wrong thread.

I just measured mine again. 300 Gr. Berger Elite Hunter. 3.003" BTO (.005 off) and 3.853" COAL. I have a Wyatt's magazine well (3.825"), but I only single feed.

Which chassis system has 4.050" mags?
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.