338 build

goblbustr

looking at a new .338 build. Plans are the McMillan ETX stock, Hart barrel, Devient/tactical action. This is all I am decided on so far. Now, I am limiting myself to the following 338 RUM, 338 norma mag, 338 Lapua, 338-378. Help a fella decide. Which would you chose and why? At this point I am leaning towards the Lapua but good reasoning could change my mind. Thanks

Do not get the 338 Rum you cant get brass for it very EZ. 338 Laupa brass is the best brass of all it will out last norma brass by a long time. I have had both . I Rebarreled my 338 norma to a Lapua 338-imp. The norma brass will not hold up to high pressure. The 338 Norma is a great round but I did not like the brass.I now have to 338-imp Lapua. Joe

looking at a new .338 build. Plans are the McMillan ETX stock, Hart barrel, Devient/tactical action. This is all I am decided on so far. Now, I am limiting myself to the following 338 RUM, 338 norma mag, 338 Lapua, 338-378. Help a fella decide. Which would you chose and why? At this point I am leaning towards the Lapua but good reasoning could change my mind. Thanks

Any LR build the WHOLE questions comes down to this......BRASS.

338-378 brass is $$$$$$$$$$ and not Lapua brass.

338 RUM is hard to find and certainly isn't Lapua.

338 Norma is OK and is decently affordable PER PIECE but wont last and isn't Lapua.

338 Lapua brass is Lapua brass. Nuff said

I'm an Edge guy and with Bertram being made I would throw it out there also but you would want to buy enough brass to kill the barrel BEFORE you buy.

Brass quality, availability and price PER RELOAD is everything in a LR build. Kinda makes the Lapua the go to in this case unless you find 200 pieces of Bertram Edge and buy it BEFORE you build.

338 Lapua, good and easy to find brass. Its performance might be under the 338-378 but it uses much less powder compared to the 338-378

I'm gonna disagree for the most part, I find .338 RUM brass for sale all the time. If not, use any other ultra mag brass to form it. Just run it through a .338 RUM die, it sizes the neck and pushes the shoulder back. I have experimented with all the forms of ultra mag cases. Easy-peezy, though I admit that (though not really needed) I usually anneal first. No problem as I do it every 2-3 firings anyways. Plus I turn the necks a little to be more concentric, but again I do that anyways.
Not much difference than what you are doing with a Lapua Improved, just using one case to make another. The difference is that you are using one way to push the shoulders out and I'm using another to push them back.
If I were going with the Lapua case it would be to improve it, otherwise I'd say they run about equal.
So as not to sound like I am against the Lapua (awesome round), it does have some of the best brass going for it.

As Todd stated, I have an Edge also and it's worth a look.

I disagree, I find .338 RUM brass for sale all the time. If not, use any other ultra mag brass to form it. Just run it through a .338 RUM die, it sizes the neck and pushes the shoulder back. I have experimented with all the forms of ultra mag cases. Easy-peezy, though I admit that (though not really needed) I usually anneal first. No problem as I do it every 2-3 firings anyways. Plus I turn the necks a little to be more concentric, but again I do that anyways.
Not much difference than what you are doing with a Lapua Improved, just using one case to make another. The difference is that you are using one way to push the shoulders out and I'm using another to push them back.
If I were going with the Lapua case it would be to improve it, otherwise I'd say they run about equal.
So as not to sound like I am against the Lapua (awesome round), it does have some of the best brass going for it.

As Todd stated, I have an Edge also and it's worth a look.

Funny how much variation there is in component availability nationwide. I live on the AR/OK border near Fayetteville and any RUM brass is like unicorn turds. Lotsa 308 and 223. Where i'm originally from out in the OK panhandle RUM brass is REALLY easy to find. Tulsa OK and Fayetteville AR area isn't LR territory and most places locally it's a case of 308 or 308 or 308. I see you are from AR, is there anywhere I should know about that carries a little more LR friendly stuff?

Funny how much variation there is in component availability nationwide. I live on the AR/OK border near Fayetteville and any RUM brass is like unicorn turds. Lotsa 308 and 223. Where i'm originally from out in the OK panhandle RUM brass is REALLY easy to find. Tulsa OK and Fayetteville AR area isn't LR territory and most places locally it's a case of 308 or 308 or 308. I see you are from AR, is there anywhere I should know about that carries a little more LR friendly stuff?

Todd I don't really rely on locals. I do find some stuff from time to time at Bass Pro or a local gun shop. I recently found several boxes of new factory loaded .300 RUM ammo for cheaper than what brass alone would go for.
Around here Lapua brass would fall in line with everything else as far as availability...maybe worse.

Todd I don't really rely on locals. I do find some stuff from time to time at Bass Pro or a local gun shop. I recently found several boxes of new factory loaded .300 RUM ammo for cheaper than what brass alone would go for.
Around here Lapua brass would fall in line with everything else as far as availability...maybe worse.

Been a real shock for me to move from an area where a 338 Lapua is more common than a 308 to here. Half of the stuff I shoot people around here have never even heard of. I have moved online as well I just like to support local gun stores whenever possible. Kinda hard to patronize somewhere that has never heard of a 284 lol.

I've never seen 338 brass of ANY chambering at a LGS around here. I'd love to support the local guy and do buying guns, but for any reloading components except primers, there is simply no selection or consistency. It's cheaper to pay hazmat and shipping fees than burn my time and gas hoping to track stuff down. No such thing as a really good reloading store around here.

I don't see RUM brass being unicorns online, unless you want actual Remington. That is indeed a unicorn.

From a brass availability and quality standpoint, I would do a 338 Lapua AI in a 28" barrel
There is actually one for sale right now at a discount price listed in the for sale section

I have never had any problems getting brass when I wanted it. Without paying hoarder prices. Always online. Never local as no shop carries any brass selection here.

I'm pretty sure it's all available right now.

338 Win Mag
340 Weatherby
33 Nosler
338 RUM
338 Norma
338 Lapua
338 Edge
338 Lapua AI
338-378 Weatherby

In approximate "performance" order.

I went 338/26-Nosler (before Nosler announced the 33), 338 Edge and 338-378

If you are a brass snob you have to Lapua or Edge with Bertram brass.

If you want the biggest that will cycle in a normal action with the bullet seated long, 33 Nosler.

I use R-P brass for my Edge, no problems. Norma/Nosler makes all the Nosler and Weatherby brass, no problems.

With the action you've chosen, 338 Lapua or 338 Lapua AI.

I have never had any problems getting brass when I wanted it. Without paying hoarder prices. Always online. Never local as no shop carries any brass selection here.

I'm pretty sure it's all available right now.

338 Win Mag
340 Weatherby
33 Nosler
338 RUM
338 Norma
338 Lapua
338 Edge
338 Lapua AI
338-378 Weatherby

In approximate "performance" order.

I went 338/26-Nosler (before Nosler announced the 33), 338 Edge and 338-378

If you are a brass snob you have to Lapua or Edge with Bertram brass.

If you want the biggest that will cycle in a normal action with the bullet seated long, 33 Nosler.

I use R-P brass for my Edge, no problems. Norma/Nosler makes all the Nosler and Weatherby brass, no problems.

With the action you've chosen, 338 Lapua or 338 Lapua AI.
My Edge slaughtered Nosler brass.
3 firings at 2700 with Nosler or 6 at 2850 with Remington. Loved the brass, beautiful stuff and all of mine within 1 gr. Just wouldn't run. My 6-284 chewed up Nosler also. I just bought a slug of 7 SAUM norma. Hope it will hold up better for me. Of course I'm a Retumbo nut and its a lil rough on brass.

My Edge slaughtered Nosler brass.
3 firings at 2700 with Nosler or 6 at 2850 with Remington. Loved the brass, beautiful stuff and all of mine within 1 gr. Just wouldn't run. My 6-284 chewed up Nosler also. I just bought a slug of 7 SAUM norma. Hope it will hold up better for me. Of course I'm a Retumbo nut and its a lil rough on brass.

Like I said, I just don't experience that. My Edge tracks at 2932fps. No problems, I'm using IMR-7828.

I'm using Retumbo in my 338-378. Same speed from a 3" shorter barrel but just started working the load on that one should go a little faster.

Like I said, I just don't experience that. My Edge tracks at 2932fps. No problems, I'm using IMR-7828.

I'm using Retumbo in my 338-378. Same speed from a 3" shorter barrel but just started working the load on that one should go a little faster.

That's a 250 right? H-1000 has been too fast for my Edges I cant even imagine running 7828.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.