300wby to 7wsm build

Eleazar

I'm looking to convert my 300wby to a 7wsm.

Reasons:
-From my research 7wsm has proven effectiveness as hunting caliber.
-I have a 300win and 300RUM..300wby does not offer a huge advantage over these two 30's that I can justify the keeping it.
-The bolt face (.540) on the LA 300wby will accept the SA 7wsm and still allow for longer seating depth - and it wont have to be a single fed rifle.

With all that --
What barrel length, twist, contour should I be looking at to get the best performance out of the 7wsm.

This will be use for deer/elk

Thanks for any advice/feedback

Feeding may be an issue, I re barreled a 6 lug Mark V action to 6.5x284, while it shoots great, feeding isn't perfect. Might be something with the shorter, fatter case...

Otherwise, 26", 8.5 to 9" twist should do well with the 160-180 bullets.

Thanks Jr...i was thinking 27" with 1/8.7 twist...does barrel contour effect accuracy (there wont be a high rate of fire through this gun each session (load development then hunting

The contour indirectly effects accuracy. A heavier barrel won't shoot better just because it's heavier. But heavier barrels are easier to hold steady and they don't heat up as fast so they tend to shoot better.

+1 on the 1:9 twist. A shorter, fatter barrel will dampen harmonics and strengthen the overall stiffness of your rifle. A 26 in tube should allow you to get all the velocity you'll need out of a wsm. Look at any of the major barrel brands...hart, lija, benchmark, krieger.

Why don't you take advantage of that long action. Make it a 7mm REM. Mag easier to get brass for, less pressure, information is everywhere for it, its a great choice.

Jud96

Very true - I would but I already have one in a ruger Mark II M77

Well then, why do you want a 7mm WSM? If you already have a big 7 then why do you want the short mag? Go with something different like a 6.5, if you already have two .30cal Magnums and a 7mm Remington Mag what other big magnums do you need?

Well then, why do you want a 7mm WSM? If you already have a big 7 then why do you want the short mag? Go with something different like a 6.5, if you already have two .30cal Magnums and a 7mm Remington Mag what other big magnums do you need?

Come on jud you know it's not about need with shooting! :D that is a good point about the 7mm though. You should change it up. What about a 338 cal? Winchester, ultra mags, Norma mag?? Also a 6.5x284 would be great in that action. Just some suggestions not talking you out of the 7mm wsm.

Come on jud you know it's not about need with shooting! :D that is a good point about the 7mm though. You should change it up. What about a 338 cal? Winchester, ultra mags, Norma mag?? Also a 6.5x284 would be great in that action. Just some suggestions not talking you out of the 7mm wsm.

Haha I know what you mean, I'm just trying to open up some options. I have pretty much decided that the 7mm REM. Mag can cover the .284 diameter pretty well and have been stuck on this cartridge for some time and may eventually build or buy one. To bad he doesn't have a standard bolt face, that way he could make it a 6.5-06, they're easy on components, fast, and extremely accurate. I still believe he should just use a full size cartridge in a long action, but if I had to use a short action mag in 7mm it would be a 7mm RSAUM. It has a longer neck than the WSM for accuracy and the cool factor is that the Army Marksmanship Unit uses the 7mm Remington SAUM for 1000 meter matches.

Im not dead set on the 7wsm - it just seemed like a good hunting caliber for tr bolt face that the current action has. Do any of the 6.5's run the same bolt face (.540)?

My goal was to make a lightweight mountain gun-- normally i wouldn't go for the weatherby action but it has just been sitting around not being used - seemed like a fun project.

Good input so far

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.