300wby to 28nosler

Who says brass fired in one chamber, then necked down and full length sized, will fit into a different custom chamber? He has dies,,, he may or may not have brass (without buying new). All new custom chambers deserve NEW brass.

Will not argue that a new BBL/chamber DESERVES new brass. But, as far as fitting the used brass....simply run them through something like Larry Willis' Collet die before you FL size and I will GUARANTEE that they fit. My .02 says that if you are gong to run belted magnums you should already have this die. I can't think of a dollar more wisely spent!!

Even if he buys new brass, it is a heck of a lot easier to find 300 WBY brass than 7mm STW brass.

But, on the flip side...there is always that something that draws us to new chamberings like the 28 N!!!

I think you leaning toward a 28 Nosler so choose that one. It is a better cartridge than an STW.

I think you leaning toward a 28 Nosler so choose that one. It is a better cartridge than an STW.

How is that? And don't say because it's beltless... In these modern times, the belt doesn't even factor into the equation, whether it is there, or not, as long as it is headspaced properly.

They both have about the same capacity, are nearly ballistic twins, brass costs about the same, and can be found at an equal number of places, Nosler makes brass for both cartridges, and they both have a wide accuracy node. About the only notable advantage I can see to the .28 Nosler is that it is slightly shorter, allowing for deeper seating of long high-BC bullets within magazine length.

I'm not saying any one is better than the other, I'm basically saying it's a toss-up...If you want a Nosler, build a Nosler...If you want an STW, build an STW. You'll be happy either way.

I have been debating on rebarreling my 2nd STW (the one I have never shot) to a .28 Nosler, since I already have an STW with plenty of barrel life left in it, and the action that the 2nd STW is built off of, was originally a 7RUM...And its been blueprinted, so, no action mods are required, just a barrel swap.

A 7-300Wby would be great and feed with no changes
A 7 STW would be great and feed with no changes
A 28-Nosler would be great and feed with no changes

Ballistic performance between the three is so close that barrel to barrel differences (fast barrel/slow barrel) would play a factor in determining speed of yourl rig.

For the 28Nosler which twist rates are ideal? 1:8? I want to be able to shoot the 195's for a backup to my 300win mag but will otherwise shoot 168vld's for the whitetails here in TX. And also the STW?

Can't beat .308 holes in game when hunting !! I must have missed something reading this....there's nothing a .284 bullet can do that the same .308 can't..nothing ! Why would you want t do all that it would take for the conversion to gain basically nothing especially for whitetails when both are considered too big ..

Can't beat .308 holes in game when hunting !! I must have missed something reading this....there's nothing a .284 bullet can do that the same .308 can't..nothing ! Why would you want t do all that it would take for the conversion to gain basically nothing especially for whitetails when both are considered too big ..

L:)L, that's why I responded as ...

However IIWY, since you have the .300 WM already, unless you got it covered too, you have an excellent platform to explore the possibilities of launching the 300gr Berger ...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-230-300-otm-hybrid-terminal-results-80283/

... but that's just me. :):Dgun)

... not for whitetails but elk size game at 1K yards and up. :cool:

For the 28Nosler which twist rates are ideal? 1:8? I want to be able to shoot the 195's for a backup to my 300win mag but will otherwise shoot 168vld's for the whitetails here in TX. And also the STW?

Yes an 8twist.

I'll see your .308 and raise to .338. Bang, flop. Hahaha.

Seriously. If we were all .308's wouldn't live be boring?:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts