300wby to 28nosler

Ive got a 300win mag shooting the 215's so just wanting something a little different....After reading these replies sounds like the STW might be the better way to go

Ive got a 300win mag shooting the 215's so just wanting something a little different....After reading these replies sounds like the STW might be the better way to go

I would have suggested the STW in the first post, but didn't feel like getting ripped to pieces for doing so. These days it's just easier to stick to the original questions asked.

As for the STW, I have 2 of them, and got my first one in 2002 (still on its original barrel). Awesome cartridge.

Mud what bullets are you shooting in your STW's?

I have some 195's for when I do finally need a new tube (which will be a 1:8 twist), but my Sendero SF is still wearing her factory 26" 9.25" twist barrel. So I shoot the Berger 180 Hybrids out of it. So far, I found a fairly mild load around 3,000 fps MV that puts 5 inside a dime @ 100, but have not been back to the range to continue working up loads to find my max load in that rifle. But if needed, that load I have worked out already will work great in a pinch. A 180gr 7mm bullet with a BC like the 180 Hybrids have, leaving the bore at 3000 fps, is still fairly substantial in just about any book.

My other STW is a semi-custom that was built by my gunsmith, but a buddy of mine had it built. He never shot it, and got in a tight for cash, so I bought it from him for what he had in it... I still haven't shot it yet. But when I do, it will also be 180 Hybrids or 180 VLD's.

I agree that the STW is a better route; the 7MM WBTY is not too shabby either esp. in the right twist to propel the Berger 195 plus you already have the .300 WBTY brass.

However IIWY, since you have the .300 WM already, unless you got it covered too, you have an excellent platform to explore the possibilities of launching the 300gr Berger ...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-230-300-otm-hybrid-terminal-results-80283/

... but that's just me. :):Dgun)

Good luck on whatever you decide on.

Cheers!

I agree that the STW is a better route; the 7MM WBTY is not too shabby either esp. in the right twist to propel the Berger 195 plus you already have the .300 WBTY brass.

However IIWY, since you have the .300 WM already, unless you got it covered too, you have an excellent platform to explore the possibilities of launching the 300gr Berger ...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-230-300-otm-hybrid-terminal-results-80283/

... but that's just me. :):Dgun)

Good luck on whatever you decide on.

Cheers!

Hey Ed, the 7mm Weatherby is shorter than the .300 Weatherby case. The 7mm Wby uses the same case as the .257 Wby and .270 Wby...But they are still all based off the full-length .300/.375 H&H. Unless you meant 7x300 Weatherby.

Here's an image from Shooting Times for reference...

st257weatherby_041706b.jpg

I would think the feed rails might be open enough. The belt is fairly big, and if it feeds, the Nosler case may very well feed. But this is pure speculation. A Gunsmith will make it work either way...

No they won't. It will feed perfectly.

I have an older Mark V 300wby that I rarely shoot and would like to swap it a 28Nosler. Is this possible?

I have more than 9 Mark Vs. 2 are now xx-Nosler.

I have a total of 4 xx-Nosler. 2 on Mark V and 2 on 700, including a 28-Nosler.

For either a 28-Nosler or a 7mm STW when using a Mark V receiver, the only thing to be done is put on a new barrel.

I prefer chamberings based on the 404 Jefferies. Those are WSM, Nosler, RUM and wildcats.

There is nothing wrong with the 7mm STW. It is a fine cartridge.

There are only 2 differences between the 28-Nosler and the 7mm STW. Length and belt. Performance is so close as to be a complete non-issue.

I have an older Mark V 300wby that I rarely shoot and would like to swap it a 28Nosler. Is this possible?

Forgot to mention. I am selling or trading the 700 based xx-Noslers and putting Proof Research Barrels on 2 Mark Vs. They will be chambered in 28-Nosler and 308/28-Nosler.

Sorry, but the REAL obvious choice for a 7mm built on his 300 WBY would be a 7 - 300 WBY. He has the brass already, and if he has redding Type "S" Bushing dies for his 300 WBY all he needs to do is get smaller bushings.

POOF...7mm

Who says brass fired in one chamber, then necked down and full length sized, will fit into a different custom chamber? He has dies,,, he may or may not have brass (without buying new). All new custom chambers deserve NEW brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.