300wby - 340wby conversion

LC46270

I currently have a Weatherby Vanguard in 300Wby. I would like to convert it to a 340Wby. Other than a new barrel, will I have to change the magazine box?
Thank you in advance

No, your mag box should be fine, since they both are based off the .300 Wby case...

You should also be able to reuse your .300 Wby brass to make .340 Wby brass.

Why do you want to convert? 340 kicks like a mule. You might want to consider adding a brake as well.

I have one with a brake, one without. While I prefer the one with the brake the one without is definitely tolerable - but that may be just me.

Of note, both the 300 and the 340 do better with a 26 inch barrel. If you really want a 340 I'd recommend swapping up to a longer barrel, or better yet swap to a Mark V that already has a 26 inch barrel.

Thanks everyone for the info. I am ordering a Pac-Nor 27" barrel. I am also going to install a Hollands muzzle brake. This rifle will be used for long range hunting. BTW, I already have a 338WM and a Sako TRG 42 in 338Lapua. Just like the medium bores.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.