6.5/300wby

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by deacon, Mar 28, 2004.

1. deacon

deacon Member

I have decided to built a long range varmint/deer gun in this caliber. It will be on rem. 700 action, Hs stock and a hart 29" mag 1000 barrel. I am planning on shooting 140 a-max or 142 smk. This is my first wildcat , any help on loads or where the best place to get my dies from would be great.

2. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

You should expect this cartridge to be extremely hard on barrels. If it were me I'd consider the 7mm-300wby. In theory, a 7mm-300Wby would be capable of shooting a 140gr bullet a little faster than the 6.5x300Wby and enjoy a little more throat life at the same time.

Either way the 6.5x300Wby does sound interesting and dies for it are a cataloged item from Redding.

Another thought would be to have your gunsmith cut you a set of custom dies while he is doing the work. The price may not be all that much more.

VH

[ 03-28-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

3. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Deacon,

I was just visiting http://wildcatshooting.com/ and noticed that "griz", the site administrator, has a 6.5x300Wby. That would be a good place to inquire about starting data for your wildcat.

Good shootin'

VH