300wby to 28nosler

Only thing you should need to achieve this is a competent gunsmith and a new barrel blank. Pretty much any name brand blank should get you the results you are looking for. Everyone has their favorites. I like Bartlein and Proof Research blanks.

Thats what I was hoping for. Any suggestions on barrel length for the 28Nosler? Do you need 26" to take full advantage of the round?

Thats what I was hoping for. Any suggestions on barrel length for the 28Nosler? Do you need 26" to take full advantage of the round?

Technically you need 28+ to take full-advantage of any magnum cartridge (based on case capacity), but at the shortest I would go 26". Also, being a magnum cartridge, I would go with something atleast a # 3 contour, and if you will be doing more sitting or prone shooting instead of walking/hiking, I would recommend a fluted Sendero/Rem Varmint contour.

If you plan on shooting the new Berger 195 EOL bullets, go with a 1:8 twist.

Berger 180's (and lighter weight bullets) can get by with a standard 1:9 twist.

The only issues may be feeding. The Weatherby is a bit longer and not as big around as the Nosler. Wouldn't want to guarantee it'd be a "drop-in", wouldn't want to say it's not.

The only issues may be feeding. The Weatherby is a bit longer and not as big around as the Nosler. Wouldn't want to guarantee it'd be a "drop-in", wouldn't want to say it's not.

Good point, I forgot to mention that he might need to have the feed rails opened. But, like you said, that's something the gunsmith will have to determine.

I would think the feed rails might be open enough. The belt is fairly big, and if it feeds, the Nosler case may very well feed. But this is pure speculation. A Gunsmith will make it work either way...

I would think the feed rails might be open enough. The belt is fairly big, and if it feeds, the Nosler case may very well feed. But this is pure speculation. A Gunsmith will make it work either way...
Don't know. Every magnum action I've rebarreled to UM has required some rail work and a mag box designed for the UM always helps. The 26 Nosler case is just a shortened UM. The STW would be a good plan. MidWay has cases made by the Quality Cartridge Co.

Don't know. Every magnum action I've rebarreled to UM has required some rail work and a mag box designed for the UM always helps. The 26 Nosler case is just a shortened UM. The STW would be a good plan. MidWay has cases made by the Quality Cartridge Co.
I agree, the STW is the obvious conversion... I'm partial to the 300 Weatherby so... I say rebarrel to a 9 twist 300 Weatherby, and sling some 215 and 230 Bergers....gun):D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.