300 WSM SA advice

boomhand

I'm a new member to the site and I appreciate all the info that is available here. I want to build a hunting rifle in 300WSM on a 700ss sa. and after doing a search on this forum I'm aware of some of the limitations such as bullet length and feeding. I plan on keeping my bullet weights in the 165 to 180 range so will this still require altering the magazine (wyatt) and is there any machining or altering the stock to install what I need? Also can feeding problems be avoided by keeping less than 3 in the mag? And finally is a factory WSM SA different then any other SA in any way?

I load for a tikka 300wsm and a winchester 325wsm. My tikka is impossible to touch the rifleing with spitzer bullets and still fit in the mag. But 180 grain bullets will be seated a little into the case taking up powder room when they are seated to a COL of 2.9"

An excellent round, but I wish there was a little more room in mine to seat longer.

The winchester 325 has very little freebore. I have 180 grain seated way into the case to fit into the chamber.

Boomhand

Since I have had that same question when I first started with that excellent round, may I suggest that FIRST you settle on the bullet, followed by the barrel then the extended Wyatt? The reason is that by knowing the loa of the specific cartridge you are going to shoot, you can then take it to a smith and say I want it chambered so that my bullet is 0.002" off my lands and it must be this length. Going the other way in sequence will run you up against the loa problem. Best wishes, Overbore
ps 2.800" is not the loa limit

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.