advice on 300 WSM loads

Going to work on a load for 300 WSM with a buddy, its his gun. Was thinking about the 180 Berger Elite hunting bullet, what powders do any of you like? I see there are even loads with superformance in the 180 grain. His gun is a Browning X-Bolt......
I was loading for 2 300 WSMs for years. The bullet I found that seemed to be magic in both rifles was the 190 Berger VLD Hunting bullet with IMR 4350 and IMR 4451. Both rifles were sub MOA and some loads were in the .3 MOA range. This was without trying a bunch reloading tricks. The only issue I had was mag length.

Just started to try the new Speer 190 Impact and finished first ladder where RL26 went up to 2950 where I started to see some very slight ejector marks but it is also Hornady brass so not surprised. Hoping to shoot today in backyard 100 yard range to get some accuracy thoughts on it as well. If it shoots well and is as tough as stated, it just might be the bullet for me going forward. I plan on trying RL16 as well in next week or so.

I was loading for 2 300 WSMs for years. The bullet I found that seemed to be magic in both rifles was the 190 Berger VLD Hunting bullet with IMR 4350 and IMR 4451. Both rifles were sub MOA and some loads were in the .3 MOA range. This was without trying a bunch reloading tricks. The only issue I had was mag length.

What was the min.and max for that 4451 load if you dont mind?

Jamiebolseth: satisfied with the 178? Just started some load work up in 26" barrel from Preferred Barrel. Superformance ok but not great, RL16 looks good so far. RL17 fastest so far but not sure I like how hot it is

I have been satisfied with the 178 ELDx's. I've only taken 3 animal with them. A mulie buck at about 50 yds. Bullet went through the chest and off shoulder and existed. My buck last year was a mulie buck quartering away on the move at 475yds. I hit him high on the rear quarter and I never found the bullet. It smashed the back hip and continued all the way up into the chest cavity. Never found the bullet, so not sure if it exited or not. Last was a cow elk at 320 yds. Went through the lungs and exited. Dead cow.

Ballistically the bullets are really good for what I'm using them for. Accurate and efficient. This is a lightweight hunting rifle, so I don't do much really long range stuff with it as I sort of just plan to shoot critters with it out to 500-600 yds. But I ran it out on steel to 900 yds yesterday in some fairly windy conditions and it performs well for sort of a "medium range, lightweight, short, hunting rifle".

No my kitchen floor did many years ago in absent minded entry.:eek: Became Mr. Muddyboots from house CEO which became my on line tag since it seemed so appropriate.

H4350, RL17, HV100 & W760 were the go to powders for the 300 WSM in years past.
RL16 is probably one of the best of the newer crop of powders out there now. Looks like RL26 & RL23 will be pretty darn good, too.
My 180 gr Accubond load is with HV100 and the 200 gr ELDX is with RL17. If I were to start over, I'd use either H4350 or RL16 since they are both very temp stable and work well in this cartridge.

What was the min.and max for that 4451 load if you dont mind?
The one that shot the best was 61.5gr IMR4451 with the 190 VLD 40/1000 off. Of course your results will vary. That load shot .448 MOA. I just noticed that was 5 years ago. Time flies.

I don't have a min/max. For this I would use the IMR site.

Attachments

• IMG_20200415_193701.jpg
    IMG_20200415_193701.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
For all out accuracy h4350 is going to be hard to beat. If you want more speed then go to the double base powders. Like stated the hodgdon extreme powders are very temp stable and don't drop alot of speed when it gets below freezing. But they normally will not be speed demons

The one that shot the best was 61.5gr IMR4451 with the 190 VLD 40/1000 off. Of course your results will vary. That load shot .448 MOA. I just noticed that was 5 years ago. Time flies.

I don't have a min/max. For this I would use the IMR site.

Thanks a lot...
Had a post recently asking for some help and only received few responses...looks like I picked bad combo to load

Thanks a lot...
Had a post recently asking for some help and only received few responses...looks like I picked bad combo to load
Well, I always had good luck with accuracy on the 300 WSM. It's very effecient and pretty forgiving from my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.