300 WSM loads

Bighat

Anyone out there shooting a Kimber 300 WSM....could you please tell what factory ammo is working best for you? Any help would be appreciated since I'm leaving on my first Elk hunt September 25th!

Good luck on your hunt. Most guns will not just match up to one another in terms of what ammo they like. What twist do you have? Use that as a starting guide look up twist chart and see what weight range will match up best with your gun then buy a few boxes of ammo from different manufactures and see which she likes best then stock up. Dont just buy the heaviest bullets u can find because we like them here and for the bc as a factory gun may not have the twist to stabilize them Or learn to reload and really see what she can do.
Let us know how you do
Don

No prob You will figure it out. It's not ricket science.... Actually it is but not really that difficult to comprehend once you get into it. Start learning and reading about reloading and it will help you gain a wealth of info fast. Fool luck and have fun.

I posted in your other thread yesterday. Believe it or not (and don't laugh) Federal Fusion did the best in my 270 WSM. Ironically, it does well in my 25-06 as well. It's about the least expensive factory ammo you'll find and worth a try. Realize it's not made for "long range" hunting, and by that I mean the ballistic coefficient of the bullet itself. It will work fine, however, and kill quite effectively.

http://www.fusionammo.com/ballistics/rifle.aspx?id=665

If I had a WSM I'd also check out the Winchester 300 WSM 180 gr Supreme Ballistic Silvertip. They shoot wonderfully in my Sendero.

FYI, so far on a few guided elk hunts the furthest Dad and I have shot is 165 yards - on a mule deer doe. Elk were 147 and 53 yards. Other deer have been as close as 80 and, as noted, as far as 165. I'm sure you will do fine.

Dr. Vette-
Thanks for taking the time to respond. My confidence is wavering a little right now....I spent most of my adult life in law enforcement and 6 yrs on the SWAT team. I killed 4 deer last year one of which was 250 yds. Now I can't put 6 rounds in a 10' circle from 150yds. I'm going to get my gunsmith to check the mounts and scope tomorrow and bore sight. I'm starting over with your advise on ammo. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Dr. Vette-
Thanks for taking the time to respond. My confidence is wavering a little right now....I spent most of my adult life in law enforcement and 6 yrs on the SWAT team. I killed 4 deer last year one of which was 250 yds. Now I can't put 6 rounds in a 10' circle from 150yds. I'm going to get my gunsmith to check the mounts and scope tomorrow and bore sight. I'm starting over with your advise on ammo. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

The money your going to spend on the smith to troubleshoot you could get started in reloading and find or fix the problem yourself.

Single stage press kit, components, and a couple books (how to reload and reloading manual) will cost you about the price of 5 boxes of premium ammo.

I know you SWAT guys love to pull triggers but don't know much about guns.....(sorry bro I'm a fireman and i have to give you SOME sh!t) and most firefighters can shoot better than SWAT guys....haha....

Seriously start reloading and you will learn the ropes while custom tuning your ammo to your rifle and amaze yourslef with your groups in the process....

Just my opinon....

+1 on the 180grn Winchester supremes, they have shot excellent in every thing I've used them in before I got hooked on reloading. The only ammo I can think of that's shoots better is Corbon but for a wsm they are probably 55-60$ a box, but they do use some of the best components.

I'm really supposed to take advice from someone who runs into burning buildings and then sit around the firehouse and polish their chrome? No really, I have thought about getting into reloading but just havent taken the plunge. My wife says if I find one more thing to do with guns I'm cut off from money and other things.

Thanks for the help. I will try and send some pics of the Elk hunt.

I'm really supposed to take advice from someone who runs into burning buildings and then sit around the firehouse and polish their chrome? No really, I have thought about getting into reloading but just havent taken the plunge. My wife says if I find one more thing to do with guns I'm cut off from money and other things.

Thanks for the help. I will try and send some pics of the Elk hunt.

As opposed to a guy who deliberately drives reallly fast to the scene of crimes looking for the violent person???????

UMMMM ya.....at least people are glad to see me!! :)

Anyways trade that wife in for a new one, telling you that youll be cut off....don't you earn your own paycheck? common man use some of that "verbal judo" and control the scene.....

My girl has her own guns, reloads her own ammo, and butchers her own kills, I even made her carry her first buck out of the mountains by herself...but I did bone it out for her....

Anyways all teasing aside reloading saves money and makes any rifle more accurate..

Stay safe..

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.