300. Wsm advice

matt_3479

Looking at putting together a new build shortly in 300 win mag or 30 nosler big game game hunting but just came across a nice build in 300. Wsm on a surgeon action, jewel trigger, broughton barrel with low round count in trade for a firearm I never use plus minimal cash. My plans were to run a long throated 300 win mag with 215 Bergers and curious what kind of accuracy and velocity you guys are getting with the wsm? What bullets are you shooting? Anyone try the 215's?

Looking at putting together a new build shortly in 300 win mag or 30 nosler big game game hunting but just came across a nice build in 300. Wsm on a surgeon action, jewel trigger, broughton barrel with low round count in trade for a firearm I never use plus minimal cash. My plans were to run a long throated 300 win mag with 215 Bergers and curious what kind of accuracy and velocity you guys are getting with the wsm? What bullets are you shooting? Anyone try the 215's?

Matt,

I've not heard of anyone running .215 gr bullets in there .300 WSM. I've been shooting .180 gr Barnes Triple shock bullets which my rifle pushes at almost 3100 fps. This will be the same round I'm taking on my Wyoming buffalo hunt this Oct. Not many bigger critters in NA than a big old shaggy. I haven't seen the need to push anything longer.

I look forward to seeing your results if you move forward with the .215 gr bullets.

Best of luck on your project, sounds like it will be a great shooting rifle!

Is your 300wsm throated or standard chamber? Is it a long or short action? The answer dictates what bullet I'd shoot.

Standard 300wsm chamber in a short action just almost demands 180gr bullets and under. The loss of case capacity with heavier bullets just displaces way too much powder to be a good idea.

A throated long action 300wsm is MUCH more practical for 215 gr bullets, or 300 Win mag.

My accuracy has been around. 5 moa 5 shots at 200 yards consistently with 168 Berger Classic hybrids.

Here.

Attachments

• 20160826_183205.jpg
    20160826_183205.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 101
We are still working out the details of this trade. It is a short action though Forsure, throated a little long. So running them wouldn't be an issue if I didn't want to you the magazine. For hunting can make a little bit of an issue but for target doesn't overly matter. I love the ballistics of the 300. Win mag with the 215's as that's what I use to run. But never tried anything in a 300. Wsm other then a factory browning x-bolt with 180gr accubonds. If the trade goes through the rifle is beyond a good deal. It's way way to good to pass up! If the deal wasn't so good I wouldn't even look at a 300. Wsm as the win mag holds a place in my eye.

never ran a surgeon action but heard great things, Jewell triggers are my favourite, broughton barrels are good, AIAX chassis and comes with a set of Redding competition dies

It sounds like a good deal as a custom rifle set up right will put the bullet where it needs to go. I shoot the 208 amax in a 300wm but bought a 300wsm this year just because. It is a Savage Bear Hunter and it pushes the 208 at 2700 fps vs my 300wm at 2940. Even at 2700, I have plenty of hunting energy to 1000.

I should find out towards the end of this week if the deal goes through or not. I have 250 215 hybrids left over. 150ish 210 vld's left over and a few different powders I can try. I'd love to see if I can get it atleast 2750fps +. I'm not sure how possible it is but have seen the odd 300. Wsm do it. If I don't like it, the 7mm wsm has always interested me with the 180 Bergers. So re-barreling it is an option down the road leaving me to build the 300. Win mag. Not sure what else I could build on this action with the current bolt face

Do yourself a favor and make it a 7mm-300wsm.

You will never find brass for 7wsm but you can always neck down 300wsm.

Been real curious of the 270 wsm? What kind of bullets are you running? And velocities? Which wsm chambering would you choose on the short action

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.