which rem 700 SA for 300 WSM

phutch30

Im looking to put together the parts for a 300wsm build. With the rem 700 SA, will the .308 bolt face work for the 300 wsm or is there a SA mag version?

You will need a magnum bolt face. I built a 300 WSM last fall. I bought a LA 700 SPS and stripped it. Timney trigger, bartlein barrel and Greybull precision stock. Shoots great. I like this on a LA because it allows me to seat the 215 Bergers way out. My rounds would never fit in a SA. Getting velocities of 2900+ with RE26.

^^^^^^^^What he said. I get a lot of compressed loads in my 270 WSM trying to load my rounds to SA length. Those long .308 bullets will eat up a lot of your case capacity unless you seat them out a ways.

But then, if you're using a long magnum action, might as well just go 300 WM.

You can have the 308 opened up by a smith and it will work fine. If you built a 300 SS, the round would fit in the REM SA. You would need to install an AICS or wyatt box. The SS would equal the wsm and do it in a short action......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.