Which Rem 700?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by MontanaRifleman, May 4, 2009.

1. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

I saw a Rem 700 7 Ultra in a pawn shop today and they were asking $699 for it.

My question is... which 700 is it? I'm guessing it's the Stainless SPS or XCR but the stock doesn't look or sound like the stock that Rem site shows. It's a dark charcoal color and feels fairly solid but a little flexible. It has a smooth grippy ruber like feel. I like it. Feels a lot better than my Sako stock.

Anyone have a clue? Is it an older Rem stock or an after market stock and how would I tell the difference between an XCR or SPS stainless?

Thanks,

Mark

2. preacherman

preacherman Well-Known Member

could it have been a "hogue"?

they feel like "rubber coating"...

3. MontanaRifleman

Maybe.... I have not ever handled a Houge.

4. preacherman

the Hogue stock is dark gray/black, with a rubbery feel, like pebble grain... has an aluminum insert similar to h-s style... frankly, if it's a Hogue stock, you might want to get a second opinion from someone who has one, before purchasing...

thanks, Larry

5. MontanaRifleman

Nope, it doesn't have a pebble grain feel, it's smooth but grippy. I'll go to one of the local stores and checkout their hogue stocks and the XCR?SPS's if they have any. Hard to tell how old this gun is but it looks like it's in good condition. Who knows what the throat is like....

6. preacherman

take a look at the site below... good photo of a Hogue stocked Remington... come to think of it, they are smooth finish, sorta...

remington 700 SPS Tactical

7. MontanaRifleman

Thanks for the link, the description and pictures seem to match the stock. If it's still around in a month or two, maybe I'll make an offer on it.

8. ash1055

ash1055 Active Member

$700.00 can be a lot for that gun you can find them for $400-600.
    I got mine for $600 off gunbroker. Sounds like same gun to me.