300 RUM Improved Dies

I own many Widden die sets and they are great .I did the same thing with sending my reamer prints to John for my 6 BRA he said that his standard production die would work great . Well it hasn't turned out to work great! I m up in Canada and everything is a hassle to get back and forth across the border for warranty. So I sent 2 pieces of twice fired brass to Harrells and they built me a die . It works but I wish they give me the next number down as the Webb still to tight .
You guys below the boarder have it made for access to suppliers and support for our hobby. I new years ago I was born in the wrong country.LOL

I own many Widden die sets and they are great .I did the same thing with sending my reamer prints to John for my 6 BRA he said that his standard production die would work great . Well it hasn't turned out to work great! I m up in Canada and everything is a hassle to get back and forth across the border for warranty. So I sent 2 pieces of twice fired brass to Harrells and they built me a die . It works but I wish they give me the next number down as the Webb still to tight .
You guys below the boarder have it made for access to suppliers and support for our hobby. I new years ago I was born in the wrong country.LOL
Ya it's tough up here getting stuff. Curious what the problem was with BRA die?

Ya it's tough up here getting stuff. Curious what the problem was with BRA die?
I have to push the shoulder back about.007 " to get the web sized .001". This is far to far for my needs , over working the brass . The bump gauge (.350 ) tool that came with the dies is not a Ackley shoulder design. I is the standard gauge that comes with many of Widden die sets . Ackley bump measurements are not taken at the same place for head space as a 30 or 35 degree shoulder.
When I got my Harrells dies they came with the correct 40 degree measuring tool that lets you head space at the neck shoulder junction as recommended with a Ackley shoulder. This 40 degree tool from Harrells has lead me to believe my Widden die is not making a full 40 degrees shoulder at the time of sizing, I could be wrong as I only have basic sets of micrometers.
As I said earlier I love all the rest of my Widden dies they build great products most of the time.

Yes! He has been doing it for years and I trust him. He's been my go to gunsmith since 2003. My chamber reamer was made by Manson. PT&G made the sizer reamer from my spec to make the sizing die out of a blank die (hardened steel). It is hardened after reaming. He used Newlon die for the hydraulic forming die and Forster seating die (reamed a .338 WM to .338 Thor) using the chamber reamer. Seating dies have steel sleeves (not hardened.
Im suprised he cut a Hardened Steel Sizing Die with a Hardened Reamer.
It most likely dulled the hell out of that reamer , Or ruined it. Becaused Rockwell Hardened Dies Vs Rockwell Hardened Reamer,although sharpened is still hard against hard

I have to push the shoulder back about.007 " to get the web sized .001". This is far to far for my needs , over working the brass . The bump gauge (.350 ) tool that came with the dies is not a Ackley shoulder design. I is the standard gauge that comes with many of Widden die sets . Ackley bump measurements are not taken at the same place for head space as a 30 or 35 degree shoulder.
When I got my Harrells dies they came with the correct 40 degree measuring tool that lets you head space at the neck shoulder junction as recommended with a Ackley shoulder. This 40 degree tool from Harrells has lead me to believe my Widden die is not making a full 40 degrees shoulder at the time of sizing, I could be wrong as I only have basic sets of micrometers.
As I said earlier I love all the rest of my Widden dies they build great products most of the time.
Thanks for this information. I will l keep it in mind

Im suprised he cut a Hardened Steel Sizing Die with a Hardened Reamer.
It most likely dulled the hell out of that reamer , Or ruined it. Becaused Rockwell Hardened Dies Vs Rockwell Hardened Reamer,although sharpened is still hard against hard
Sorry, it should have said unhardened steel, as the following sentence supports.Blank dies are NOT hardened for a reason, so they can be reamed and then hardened.

Sorry, it should have said unhardened steel, as the following sentence supports.Blank dies are NOT hardened for a reason, so they can be reamed and then hardened.
Seating Dies ( Like Arbor Dies) are not hardened but ALL Sizing Dies are HARDENED.. Thats what Im trying to figure out. How hed reamed a Hard Sizing Die and you previously stated.

Seating Dies ( Like Arbor Dies) are not hardened but ALL Sizing Dies are HARDENED.. Thats what Im trying to figure out. How hed reamed a Hard Sizing Die and you previously stated.
Yes, sizing dies are hardened, but blank dies are NOT hardened for a reason so that they can be reamed for custom builds. It does not make sense to have a hardened blank die. My mistake (typo) was ...
Yes! He has been doing it for years and I trust him. He's been my go to gunsmith since 2003. My chamber reamer was made by Manson. PT&G made the sizer reamer from my spec to make the sizing die out of a blank die (hardened steel). It is hardened after reaming. He used Newlon die for the hydraulic forming die and Forster seating die (reamed a .338 WM to .338 Thor) using the chamber reamer. Seating dies have steel sleeves (not hardened.
The error, as explained in #20 was blank die (hardened steel) instead of blank die (unhardened steel). But if you read the following sentence, it says, "It is hardened after reaming. It is similar to @Taylorbok's comment.
I wouldn't cut a hardened Die with a reamer.
If you wanted to go that route get a Newlon Die blank and have it hardened after. I'm actually running one that is not hardened for a 284 Win-imp.
Again, blank dies are NOT hardened.
He made a sizing die using the PT&G reamer (left below) to ream a blank die that is NOT hardened. It is hardened after reaming.
1690113495980.png

1690118829829.png

As you can see, the reamer is in excellent shape, and that is after building two sizing dies out of a blank. A friend is having my GS build a rifle using my dies. Let me know if you still need clarification.

Last edited:
I haven't made dies but after working in the business my guess is the dies are hardened after reaming or machining. So imo the sizing die is hardened after reaming.

So who made the BLANK Sizing die that was Un-hardened ? I dont believe Ive had Non hardened Seating Dies & Non Hardened Chamber Dies. Ive just not had the chance to see a Plain Non Hardened SIZING Die.
So turn me on to where you bought this one so I can get me one so my GS can ut mine so I dont have to send my next one to Whidden or Warner. Thanks in Advance

Newlon makes die blanks last time I ordered from them there was a long wait. Your smith could fairly easily make you a die body also.

That's ok.I had Wudden making these two.Ive had two sets from Warner. They were a little steep.I think I paid $600. four years ago.
John Whidden us onl $260.00 for a custom set.
Thanks fir the information