300 RUM Improved Dies

TXTrained

Who knows where to buy 300 RUM Ackley Improved Resizing Die?
Or who has experience in making a 300 RUM.A.I. resizing Die from just a 300 RUM resi,ing die.
I'm afraid the LE. Wilson hardened resizing die will mess up the reamer.
Need yalls brain picked and experience.
Tha ks

I've had great luck with whidden dies. you won't be dissapointed.
Thanks.I have a couple of Custom made dies from WhiddenI. I had one Custom set of dies from Warner at $600.00 .I thought I'd go with Whidden @ $260.00 on this smaller cartridge.I started to try and cut the LE Wilson Resizing die I have with reamer.I know the reamer is hard as well as the Wilson Resizing die.But figured I'd probably screw up both .I'd ( Porters Precision) Already cut the Seating die abd Chamber..
Thanks for the advice.
It may also help someone in the future.I now wish I may have went with straight 300 RUM or 338 Edge.
I'm just not all that satisfied with 33XC.
I think everyone drank the coolaid too soon on the David Tubb cartridge.
Knowing what I know now shooting just 14 months in King of 2 Mile matches.out to 2913 yards I'd been satisfied with a 338 Lapua Magnum Improved.

Thanks.I have a couple of Custom made dies from WhiddenI. I had one Custom set of dies from Warner at $600.00 .I thought I'd go with Whidden @ $260.00 on this smaller cartridge.I started to try and cut the LE Wilson Resizing die I have with reamer.I know the reamer is hard as well as the Wilson Resizing die.But figured I'd probably screw up both .I'd ( Porters Precision) Already cut the Seating die abd Chamber..
Thanks for the advice.
It may also help someone in the future.I now wish I may have went with straight 300 RUM or 338 Edge.
I'm just not all that satisfied with 33XC.
I think everyone drank the coolaid too soon on the David Tubb cartridge.
Knowing what I know now shooting just 14 months in King of 2 Mile matches.out to 2913 yards I'd been satisfied with a 338 Lapua Magnum Improved.
LOL Ya IMO the AI on the RUM probably won't net much gain. ( save some trimming for sure)
Everything I've seen about the 33XC seems to point to don't expect much more than a 338 Lap AI.

I did a 375 RUM with the shoulder moved ahead and body taper reduced, I am just finishing up fireforming, hopefully start load dev next week but it's looking promising with 390gr a-tips. This cartridge will keep me under the 10k joules limit for Ko2M Canada and I'm hoping to do Ko2M USA next year and maybe squeek in another match or 2 before hand.

I also ordered a 338 barrel, planning on doing an EDGE for the light gun class.

LOL Ya IMO the AI on the RUM probably won't net much gain. ( save some trimming for sure)
Everything I've seen about the 33XC seems to point to don't expect much more than a 338 Lap AI.

I did a 375 RUM with the shoulder moved ahead and body taper reduced, I am just finishing up fireforming, hopefully start load dev next week but it's looking promising with 390gr a-tips. This cartridge will keep me under the 10k joules limit for Ko2M Canada and I'm hoping to do Ko2M USA next year and maybe squeek in another match or 2 before hand.

I also ordered a 338 barrel, planning on doing an EDGE for the light gun class.
I think you are making a wise choice. Ive shot in King Of 1 Mile finals last and in King Of 2 Mile matches this year. Ive had a lot of fun. Ive had a lot of help from various people.Shane,Jaclyn Bryan ,Ronald Withem and John Sgorous and Brian Wink and Gee Mann and Paul Phillips. All these but mostly Rodeo, {Ron Withem my shooting partner} He cleaned the plate at 2907 with his 33XC at 2907. Its a capable round.Almost in the Heavy class. He actually beat the Heavy Class that same dal;
Ive see a bunch of people going bigger and bigger Yet Shane and his wife Jaclyn keep on kicking *** and qualifying and hitting targets at 4227 with their n375 Cheytac and 390 A-Tips. Shane said there is no need in going bigger so I shoot my 375 Cheytac with 400 gr Lazers. I hit 2013 last weekend with it.
I just think the 338 Edge or 338 LM improved is just as good or better than the 33XC because of less powder and less recoil to shoot the same bullet out to 29020 yards and closer. We re not going to shoot any farther than 3K with a light gun anyway.
Good Luck with youre new guns/Keep us posted.Im sure I will run into you at a match. ORR

I think you are making a wise choice. Ive shot in King Of 1 Mile finals last and in King Of 2 Mile matches this year. Ive had a lot of fun. Ive had a lot of help from various people.Shane,Jaclyn Bryan ,Ronald Withem and John Sgorous and Brian Wink and Gee Mann and Paul Phillips. All these but mostly Rodeo, {Ron Withem my shooting partner} He cleaned the plate at 2907 with his 33XC at 2907. Its a capable round.Almost in the Heavy class. He actually beat the Heavy Class that same dal;
Ive see a bunch of people going bigger and bigger Yet Shane and his wife Jaclyn keep on kicking *** and qualifying and hitting targets at 4227 with their n375 Cheytac and 390 A-Tips. Shane said there is no need in going bigger so I shoot my 375 Cheytac with 400 gr Lazers. I hit 2013 last weekend with it.
I just think the 338 Edge or 338 LM improved is just as good or better than the 33XC because of less powder and less recoil to shoot the same bullet out to 29020 yards and closer. We re not going to shoot any farther than 3K with a light gun anyway.
Good Luck with youre new guns/Keep us posted.Im sure I will run into you at a match. ORR
If 375 Cheytac wasn't banned up here that would be what I'd have gone with 100%.
I plan on making a post about my wildcat once I get some load work done.
Ya hopefully make it to at least one ELR match down there next year.

I sent 4 twice fired ɓrass to John Whidden at Whidden Gun Works to make a custom resizing die.
I've had great luck with whidden dies. you won't be dissapointed.
I did the same thing with my .30 LARA. John did an excellent job on my hydraulic forming and sizing/seating die set. On my last custom build, since my I have all the reamers, my GS made all my dies from blank dies and are very pleased with them. It was cheaper and had a faster turnaround time than John's.

I did the same thing with my .30 LARA. John did an excellent job on my hydraulic forming and sizing/seating die set. On my last custom build, since my I have all the reamers, my GS made all my dies from blank dies and are very pleased with them. It was cheaper and had a faster turnaround time than John's.
Did he use your reamer to cut a hardened resizing die? My GS was afraid he would mess up the creamer because of the Rockwell specs on die

Did he use your reamer to cut a hardened resizing die? My GS was afraid he would mess up the creamer because of the Rockwell specs on die
I wouldn't cut a hardened Die with a reamer.
If you wanted to go that route get a Newlon Die blank and have it hardened after. I'm actually running one that is not hardened for a 284 Win-imp.

Yes! He has been doing it for years and I trust him. He's been my go to gunsmith since 2003. My chamber reamer was made by Manson. PT&G made the sizer reamer from my spec to make the sizing die out of a blank die (hardened steel). It is hardened after reaming. He used Newlon die for the hydraulic forming die and Forster seating die (reamed a .338 WM to .338 Thor) using the chamber reamer. Seating dies have steel sleeves (not hardened.

Last edited: