300 RUM with 230gr berger otm's

cb4128

I'm not a competition shooter by any means, but I do have a load worked up in my 300 rum that is shooting really well with the 230gr berger otm's.

I have enough elevation in my ATACR to get to 2,000 yards with my zero stop set (73.6 moa) but at that distance, would I be able to be consistent enough to compete in a local match? I have them going 2,945 fps right now and shooting in the .2's consistently.

Trying to use what I've got for the moment before I jump into another rig.

*If I were to move to another 30 cal, what would be a better setup for these bullets? 300 Norma? Not opposed to trying out the 245gr elite hunters as well, but would probably need to go to an 8 twist.

Thanks for the help!

No experience with matches like this, but curious is it slow fire, long range?

I have about 400+ rounds on my RUM now and have added .002" to the COAL. Shooting N570 mostly. Just curious how long your load gets you that kind of accuracy. Mine is pretty forgiving, but barrel heats up quick. C6 though. 215s and 245s jumping a good bit.

I'm not a competition shooter by any means, but I do have a load worked up in my 300 rum that is shooting really well with the 230gr berger otm's.

I have enough elevation in my ATACR to get to 2,000 yards with my zero stop set (73.6 moa) but at that distance, would I be able to be consistent enough to compete in a local match? I have them going 2,945 fps right now and shooting in the .2's consistently.

Trying to use what I've got for the moment before I jump into another rig.

*If I were to move to another 30 cal, what would be a better setup for these bullets? 300 Norma? Not opposed to trying out the 245gr elite hunters as well, but would probably need to go to an 8 twist.

Thanks for the help!
You're really limiting yourself with a .30 cal shooting over 1,500yds. The big cased .338's and .375's are going to eat you up in ELR competition unless you're competing in one that has classes by caliber.

Even if you're consistently shooting .2's at 200yds targets the wind, environmental, and getting the correct dope are the essentials and the much lower comparative BC's of the .30's will be a real disadvantage for you.

Last edited:
Just for comparisons sake, what kindve BC's are the 338's and 375's running?

When are they going transonic as well?

Thanks for the info!

Just for comparisons sake, what kindve BC's are the 338's and 375's running?

When are they going transonic as well?

Thanks for the info!
338 Berger 300 gr OTM is .822 BC, a badlands 285 solid is in the range of 1.0

for the 375 are most anything worth running is in the .950 to 1.03 range.

more than that the larger bullets provide better splash for spotting misses.

What kind of match are you talking about? Nightforce steel challenge 700-2100 yards has been won the last couple years with 300 NM and it seems the majority of the top shooters are using that. No reason a RUM won't hang.

If you want to stick with 30 just go to an 8 twist for the 245-250gr bullets. If you want to change I'd go to 338 Edge, even just the heavier bullet will help fight the wind.

I have a 300 RUM also, I have a 375 barrel on order and I am sure I will end up with a 338 barrel as well, At that point I will probably order a 7mm as well just to have the whole family together.

I wouldn't hesitate one bit to shoot a match with the 300 Rum .
Just do your homework on your dope . I shot a match once with a factory 300 Rum Sendero and factory loaded 210 Nosler ablr. The Army Sniper on our team said ..what ?? Your using factory ammo ? I said yes this is my Elk hunting rig ! Ha ha
Long story short ..I ended up 3 points under him . And I smacked the steel.at 1400 yards my first shot ..

This led me to what i have Accomplished up to date !
Jump in and go for it ! It's only bullets , primers and powder ! Ha ha

Rum Man

I have lots of 300 Rums !
I put one together from parts on here just to hit a milk jug at a mile , 1760 yards . I had the 230 otm going 3036 ft.per.sec with Nv570 in a 25 " heavy factory barrel . I put this together with a budget in mind just to prove I could do it . The wind up in the Mountains the day we shot was very challenging.
I would try this match your talking about ..you might get spanked by the other guys but the knowledge you will gain will be very helpful to you .
I'm working on a new 300 Rum right now .
It's a carbon barrel 1/9 twist with a long throat, it should be a fun project !

Anyway sorry to busy up your thread ! Please let us know how you do !

Rum Man

would I be able to be consistent enough to compete in a local match?

Only you can answer that question. We have no idea how consistent a shooter you are especially considering match pressure and length of shot strings.

Cartridges with this amount of powder generally heat a barrel up pretty quick potentially causing all sorts of problems. That's why LR and ELR shooters can be found fielding heavier contour barrel. Competitions such as mentioned above usually have shorter shot strings.

I suggest just buckling up and go join the fun! It can't hurt anything except the throat in your rifle...

Enjoy!
:)

I wouldn't hesitate one bit to shoot a match with the 300 Rum .
Just do your homework on your dope . I shot a match once with a factory 300 Rum Sendero and factory loaded 210 Nosler ablr. The Army Sniper on our team said ..what ?? Your using factory ammo ? I said yes this is my Elk hunting rig ! Ha ha
Long story short ..I ended up 3 points under him . And I smacked the steel.at 1400 yards my first shot ..

This led me to what i have Accomplished up to date !
Jump in and go for it ! It's only bullets , primers and powder ! Ha ha

Rum Man

You need pretty good equipment, but it's the nut on the trigger that will make the difference.
Tom

Ok I'm headed out to a shoot this weekend try out the RUM. My hope is to get an impact at 2,000 yards with the 230gr hybrid otm's.

I will report back with the results!
May the Wind Gods be in your Favor for your attempt!
Video if you can !
Phone scope and a Spotting scope helped me out at a 1 Mile and 3027 yards !

Rum Man