230 gr Berger OTM Transonic

300 RUM RL25 90.0 grs, 30 inch Rock Creek 5R ,1-10 twist barrel, 3130 fps, very accurate, I am very impressed with the 230 gr Berger !

You guys maid me take the plunge, ordered two boxes of the 230's. Im shooting 300 Win. a 26" CBI barrel. Been shooting 200 grain accubond with 74.5 grains rl-25 at 2895. Broz I have h1000 federal 215m primers and ww brass. What is a good start point to work up loads? I am going to start. 002 jump, thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Jeff, if you could launch the 230's around 3150-3250FPS do you think you would be more inclined to use them over the 215's???

I would start at 68 gr and work up 1/2 gr at a time. You will probably end up about 72 gr but that is dependant on barrel and chamber so always work up.

Jeff

Broz I have shot a ton of load data the past two days. Starting seating depth was 2.818 coal, h1000 and federal 215M primers. At 71 grains shot .851 with no vertical and at 73 grains shot 1.13 inch group with .5 inch vertical. All shots were at 200you yards with bipod and rear bag in the prone. Speed at 73 grains speed was 2865a with single digit SD! Messed with seating depth out to 2.822 down to 2.816. Groups were ugly except for 2.818 still shot .5 MOA. Shot data to 400the before it got dark held for no wind and program called for 4.2 MOA, applied dope and wammo center steel. My wife shot next and she shot 3/4 moa with winds variable to 4mph then shot a .5 MOA group
And then it got dark.

These speeds sound fast for my load. There is no pressure signs at all. I worked my loads from 68 grains

Speed at 73 grains speed was 2865a with single digit SD!

in a 26" 300 win that sounds about at least 100 fps high for your charge.

The seating depths you listed tell me very little as I have no idea how far off the lans you are unless I had the same reamer as was used for your rifle.

Never the less if you have 1/2 moa accuracy and was on at 400 take it on out farther. Ifthe velocity is too high in your program, the hits will start to go lower with added distance.

What chronograph and what altitude?

Jeff

My oal gauge puts me at 2.824 to touch the lans. Altitude is 4678, just shot 610one yards today program called for 9.3 MOA using 2860 for velocity. Cold bore shot hit dead center of two MOA size rock. Put the wife shoot she hit 3/4 min. Low. Told her to send another one and wamm! Same spot. So I came up three clicks and put my wife on the spotter and sent the shot and split the rock in half center punch. So too your estimate of 100the fps to fast and put it in the program and it came up with 10.1 MOA. I would have sent it out further but the topo Would not allow.
The chrono im using is called "pro chrono" beta master.

Sounds like you are dialing it in. At this point it becomes very important to have very accurate distances as we go out farther. Also it would be great if you could get a 3 shot group on paper or steel at 700 to 1000. Then you can actually go measure the center group with a tape and compare it to the point of aim. That will tell you exactly how low or high you are in MOA.

I have owned many chronographs. Many of them lied. Actual field drop tell the truth and verifies if the chrono is honest.

Jeff

BROZ

Just got done shooting two five shot groups at 804 yards
Conditions were altitude : 4764, temp: 51, BARO :25.62 wind was .25 value from right to left at 2-5 mph.
the two groups were 4.19 and 4.11 horizontal and 3.87 and 3.42 vertical! First group dialed in 17.25MOA and was about .8 MOA above center mass. Dropped it down .75MOA to16.5 and shot 2.55 inches below center mass. I believe that 16.75 MOA at 804 yards is the ticket. I had to drop my fps down to 2710 to get 16.75MOA at 805 yards. Wish I could have taken it out to 1k but range would not permit. Anybody wanting accuracy verification of cbi barrels here you go. I have over 350 rounds down the tube and this thing is shooting better then .5 MOA at 804 yards. I can't say enough about these bullets, way funner then shooting my EDGE... maybe not. Sorry for intruding on this thread. I haven't even taken her out to extreme long range, oops. Love the thread though I will post again when I get her past 1k. Thanks a bunch broz any other advice you can provide would be great

Has anyone worked up a load for the 300 RUM using the Berger 230 hybrid and Ramshot Magnum or Retumbo powders?

I am shooting the 215's out of a 300 RUM.
91 gr H-1000
Rem Brass
Fed 215 Match primer
COAL 3.843"
2985 fps
26" barrel
This load is really accurate in my gun and my drops out to 700 yds seem bang on. I thought they would be faster but I guess not. Plan on ordering another barrel that will finish at 29-30" plus brake. This load shows no pressure in my gun and I could maybe push it harder, but it shoots so good I stopped there. I am at 1300 ft elevation.

I am shooting the 215's out of a 300 RUM.
91 gr H-1000
Rem Brass
Fed 215 Match primer
COAL 3.843"
2985 fps
26" barrel
This load is really accurate in my gun and my drops out to 700 yds seem bang on. I thought they would be faster but I guess not. Plan on ordering another barrel that will finish at 29-30" plus brake. This load shows no pressure in my gun and I could maybe push it harder, but it shoots so good I stopped there. I am at 1300 ft elevation.

I wouldn't worry about it. You are right at 3000fps and that will take game as far as you would shoot them with a 300 even if it was a little faster.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.