300 RUM Brass

Can someone please explain to me the absence of 300 RUM on the market? I have searched every supply store I could possibly think of and there is NO brass out there. It is getting to be quite frustrating!

Your not going to find any Remington brass. I think they are hitting the reloaders in the pocket. Forcing us to buy preload shells to acquire brass. Lot more profit in that market. Then you take Nosler and they have been making the 300 RUM brass but at a hefty price and not large amounts. Then powders like retumbo is also hard to come by. Its been months since I have bough retumbo. I think there's been a different way the companies look at the market now and how much market share/revenue they loose to reloaders. Last there probably been a shortage in supply of raw materails as well. Also a huge increase in the number of people reloading. When my barrel is gone I'm not sticking with the 300Rum unless I see brass come back. Your best bet is buy nosler brass or try and find the 50% reduced recoil loads for the rum. I've seen those sell pretty cheap.

Thank you for the reply.

I have seen no brass from any manufacturer. I'd like to stay away from RP brass but, at this point, I'd buy whatever I could get my hands on. I only have four boxes of factory ammo, 2 Barnes Vor-Tx, and 2 HSM. I have no clue who supplies their brass.

As far as Retumbo, I have no trouble finding it. If you have a "pet load" with Retumbo I'd be interested in trying it.

Again, thanks for the reply.

I agree with wacsman... Just switch over something more available like the .300 wm, life's to short to purposely drive yourself crazy for 200 fps.

I have seen no brass from any manufacturer. I'd like to stay away from RP brass but, at this point, I'd buy whatever I could get my hands on. I only have four boxes of factory ammo, 2 Barnes Vor-Tx, and 2 HSM. I have no clue who supplies their brass.

The Barnes ammo is Remington. For the HSM it seems to depend on the cartridge/load/year/lot of ammo, your best bet is to call them and ask. They seem to have used a variety over the years.
I load for three rifles that use the .300 case and just got a .338 RUM. You think .300 RUM is hard to come by, try finding .338 RUM! I think I just got lucky and found someone willing to part with some brass for a good price. I was robbing my limited .300 stash to make the .338 brass.

Good luck!

Just last night, a buddy of mine told me there was a 300 RUM brass shortage. Looks like he was right. I didn't know about the shortage as I bought some right before the shortage hit. As I recall it was Nosler brass and while it is good stuff, it is some expensive s**t. 7mm WSM brass has been unavailable for a lot longer. I have a hundred pieces of that but would like to have some more and it is just not out there. I saw someone mention to buy it in loaded ammo just to get the brass. Seriously? That is just plain WRONG! And then there is Ramshot Magnum - one of the best powders made and it is, surprise, surprise UNAVAILABLE! It may be time to drag out the old 30-06. With the new ELD-X bullets it will reach out there and say hello.

I see major changes coming shortly about certain carte dges cases used for long range banging!! Guess we'll all have to learn to turn a few more clicks on the scope

Engineer,
What they were saying about the loaded ammo is to try to find some of the reduced power loading. I've seen it priced pretty low when I have seen it. I recently got two boxes for the brass, but they were priced lower than what virgin brass was going for last time it was available.
And yes it is pathetic that you have to do that for the bass now-a-days.

I bet that if everyone on this site (and had everybody they know with one) took two minutes everyday to send Remington an email about wanting more .300 and .338 ultra mag brass, they would eventually listen. Even if it were to just shut us up, like on Shawshank Redemption.

It would be nice if everyone stopped hoarding but they won't. So, the only way you will ever have enough to shoot when you need it is to hoard. I suggest taking out a second mortgage and buy minimum of a 5 year supply when you finally find it. That goes for barrels, bullets, and primers as well....

I bet that if everyone on this site (and had everybody they know with one) took two minutes everyday to send Remington an email about wanting more .300 and .338 ultra mag brass, they would eventually listen. Even if it were to just shut us up, like on Shawshank Redemption.

It might because they have better financial return on loaded ammo than selling their brass for reloaders.

I agree with wacsman... Just switch over something more available like the .300 wm, life's to short to purposely drive yourself crazy for 200 fps.

if your have a factory chamber and rifle and are loading factory duplicates I might agree.
if you have custom chambers and are loading for maximum potential I think with heavy bullets that number quickly approaches 300fps and more pretty easy and if your "LONGRANGEHUNTING" that makes a huge difference down range.

Sorry to de trail this but what's the current worth of once fired 300 rum? Remington cases and cleaned. Couldn't find any recent threads in the sale section. I have some in my tumbler right now in the garage.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.