300 RUM

Another one for retumbo. I shoot 89 gr of retumbo and 210 berger. The gun and load will out shoot me any day. I'm pushing about 3150 fps with an extreme spread of about 10 fps.

Yep, I still miss H870. I've tried several mil-spec ball powders but just cannot seem to find one that IS NOT highly temperature-sensitive, and at high pressures that means shifting POI etc. Not knocking them, especially for practice loads you cannot beat the price... but they burn dirty so you better be ready to swab the bore every few rounds while cooling the barrel!

I've been a fan of the RL powders for years...to me they've always seemed less temperature-sensitive than anything from the IMR line and plenty accurate when the hand loader does his/her homework. Here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula we see a lot of serious temperature/humidity fluctuations, so that's a real issue.

Maybe it's just a bit of strange luck, but for me H-1000 has been a bit odd in several of my rifles. Won't give best accuracy at top velocities, and forget it if I think a respectable load with one bullet will even be close with another of the same weight. You always expect to tweak it if you switch pills, but I'm talking about major load re-development even when weight, length and profile are close. I haven't run into it that badly with other stick powders from Hodgdon. Got any tips for H-1000 in particular?

I won't make any claims for the RL's like "better than XXX" as I've had great results from other powders too... but for whatever reason the RL's have usually been more available and more affordable in my neck of the woods. (Maybe when I get to my second million in the bank I won't care about that. Working on it now...gave up on the first million a long time ago!)
My experience with H-1000 is somewhat similar. It always worked and I could always find a good accuracy load using it but never at top velocities. For most of my reloading years I didn't do a whole lot of experimenting with bullets, I just shot the same load for everything because 90% or more of my shooting was on Deer and Coyotes with an occasional Antelope thrown in.

Only in the last 15 years or so have I really started getting serious about getting that Nth degree of accuracy from each of my rifles and my variety of calibers has expanded dramatically.

For most of my adult civilian life I shot a .220 sift usually loaded with SBK's and powered by H380 or H414 and a 7mm RM or 7mm STW starting in 92 running mostly NBT's pushed by H870 until the last of it was gone.

Once we started having lots of hogs in the mix I went to the Nosler Accubond and Hornady Interbond, had the best luck with the Interbonds and shot them pretty well exclusively until they became extremely hard to get my hands on when Hornady was gearing up for the roll out of the ELD series.

I then tried the Swift Sirocco's which fly great but are too soft for me frequently flattening out almost like a coin on impact and taking ridiculous turns instead of tracking straight through.

I'd experimented a little with the Barnes Bullets but wasn't generally happy with the TSX or LRX.

When I went to Africa in 2015 I got introduced to the Peregrine's and the more I shoot them the better I like the. They are constantly working to improve and have been through four generations of the VLR series since I got introduced to them.

Mostly today I shoot whatever their latest prototype to come out is and send my feedback to them in return.

I started working with the RL powders about five or six years ago and have gotten better results with them than I ever have with IRM powders and even Hodgdon.

Two of my STW's really like H1000 but all of my WM's, Rum's, STWs and .375 Rugers are shooting very well with the RL powders. I've run 17 and 19 in the 375's, 19, 23, and 26 in the .260's, 26 and 33 in the WM's, Rum's, and STW's.

I try to focus on just two or three rifles in a couple or three calibers each year and when I find something that really works I quit right there and try to stay with it. I'll load up a couple of hundred with the same lot of powder and all components at a time once I'm there.

Too light for retumbo, try RL26 or RL33. H1000 is a good choice as well but gives up about 100-150fps in velocity to the others.

Retumbo is great for heavier bullets but it's the dirtiest burning powder I've ever tried so I've moved away from it.
I have a great load with Retumbo shooting barnes 168 TTSX. Just get your measurements off the ogive. Used this
I have a local supplier that seems to have figured out how to keep 210M and 215M primers in stock. Let me know if I can help out.

Wildrose,
I have a fantastic load with Barnes 168 TTSX and Retumbo at 96.2 grains. OAL to ogive is 4.050. Avg. velocity 3314 from a magnito chrono, group size .245 at 100 yds. Used this load to harvest a fannin sheep in the Yukon.
Currently working on a Retumbo load with Nosler accubond LR 190 gr. 94.2 gr, 4.115 to ogive, must single feed, avg velocity 3203 with can. .278 3 shot group at 100 yds.

I have a great load with Retumbo shooting barnes 168 TTSX. Just get your measurements off the ogive. Used this

Wildrose,
I have a fantastic load with Barnes 168 TTSX and Retumbo at 96.2 grains. OAL to ogive is 4.050. Avg. velocity 3314 from a magnito chrono, group size .245 at 100 yds. Used this load to harvest a fannin sheep in the Yukon.
Currently working on a Retumbo load with Nosler accubond LR 190 gr. 94.2 gr, 4.115 to ogive, must single feed, avg velocity 3203 with can. .278 3 shot group at 100 yds.
That's a real screamer.

My experience with it was that it always performed best with the heavies and was inconsistent with lighter bullets. Of course shooting drive band bullets changes the whole pressure equation and I haven't used any since I started shooting the Peregrines.

My experience with H-1000 is somewhat similar. It always worked and I could always find a good accuracy load using it but never at top velocities. For most of my reloading years I didn't do a whole lot of experimenting with bullets, I just shot the same load for everything because 90% or more of my shooting was on Deer and Coyotes with an occasional Antelope thrown in.

Only in the last 15 years or so have I really started getting serious about getting that Nth degree of accuracy from each of my rifles and my variety of calibers has expanded dramatically.

For most of my adult civilian life I shot a .220 sift usually loaded with SBK's and powered by H380 or H414 and a 7mm RM or 7mm STW starting in 92 running mostly NBT's pushed by H870 until the last of it was gone.

Once we started having lots of hogs in the mix I went to the Nosler Accubond and Hornady Interbond, had the best luck with the Interbonds and shot them pretty well exclusively until they became extremely hard to get my hands on when Hornady was gearing up for the roll out of the ELD series.

I then tried the Swift Sirocco's which fly great but are too soft for me frequently flattening out almost like a coin on impact and taking ridiculous turns instead of tracking straight through.

I'd experimented a little with the Barnes Bullets but wasn't generally happy with the TSX or LRX.

When I went to Africa in 2015 I got introduced to the Peregrine's and the more I shoot them the better I like the. They are constantly working to improve and have been through four generations of the VLR series since I got introduced to them.

Mostly today I shoot whatever their latest prototype to come out is and send my feedback to them in return.

I started working with the RL powders about five or six years ago and have gotten better results with them than I ever have with IRM powders and even Hodgdon.

Two of my STW's really like H1000 but all of my WM's, Rum's, STWs and .375 Rugers are shooting very well with the RL powders. I've run 17 and 19 in the 375's, 19, 23, and 26 in the .260's, 26 and 33 in the WM's, Rum's, and STW's.

I try to focus on just two or three rifles in a couple or three calibers each year and when I find something that really works I quit right there and try to stay with it. I'll load up a couple of hundred with the same lot of powder and all components at a time once I'm there.
Yes, it sounds like we observed similar results with H-1000. Not a bad powder, but not quite one that you think about for long range work.

Unfortunately it never worked out for me to get results on game with the 180 Swift Scirocco in this caliber, though I have spoken to others who advised me to consider this a deer bullet and NOT an elk bullet. Sounds like your experience would agree with this.

Agree with you on the RL powders. 15 is quite useful in some older calibers like 300 Savage, and 17, 19, and 22 all have provided go-to hunting loads in a variety of calibers. As mentioned previously, RL-25 is my go-to for my 300 RUM elk load, and both 23 & 26 look like they'll add to that list of pet loads.

You mention the TSX...again similar experiences. Performance on elk was puzzling...punch-throughs without causing enough shock or tissue damage for clean & fast kills even though shot placement was more than adequate. After a couple of long chases that began with very reasonable shots, l stopped hunting with them. I'm told that the TTSX is better, but I haven't gotten around to checking this out.

You mention Peregrines. I'm not familiar with these...Can you point me in the right direction to check them out?

Yes, it sounds like we observed similar results with H-1000. Not a bad powder, but not quite one that you think about for long range work.

Unfortunately it never worked out for me to get results on game with the 180 Swift Scirocco in this caliber, though I have spoken to others who advised me to consider this a deer bullet and NOT an elk bullet. Sounds like your experience would agree with this.

Agree with you on the RL powders. 15 is quite useful in some older calibers like 300 Savage, and 17, 19, and 22 all have provided go-to hunting loads in a variety of calibers. As mentioned previously, RL-25 is my go-to for my 300 RUM elk load, and both 23 & 26 look like they'll add to that list of pet loads.

You mention the TSX...again similar experiences. Performance on elk was puzzling...punch-throughs without causing enough shock or tissue damage for clean & fast kills even though shot placement was more than adequate. After a couple of long chases that began with very reasonable shots, l stopped hunting with them. I'm told that the TTSX is better, but I haven't gotten around to checking this out.

You mention Peregrines. I'm not familiar with these...Can you point me in the right direction to check them out?
You'll like RL26 and RL33. My latest load for RL33 with the 6.5LRM had me shooting 3 shot cloverleafs at 200yds pushing the Interbonds at 3400.

Peregrine is the best designed monolithic I've yet come across, without getting long winded the way the brass tip works it creates essentially a shape charge in the open cavity below guaranteeing consistent expansion across a broad range of velocities wile also working like a traditional tipped bullet as well physically forcing the hollow point tip to open.

The latest batch I received was VLR4's and VLR5 prototypes.

Accuracy has been good with all of them but it is the consistent, controlled, limited expansion that is by far their best feature.

If you want to try them I have some I can send you to give a ride. I've found that using Barnes load data for starting loads works very well.

Keep in mind though that with Mono's due to the difference in density they require a faster twist rate than lead core bullets of similar weight because they are so much longer.

http://peregrinebullets.co.za/vlr4/

I'm sold enough on them that as long as I can get them in the right weights I won't shoot anything else. When I can't I'll just shoot Interbonds.

Because of the crazy inconsistency I've seen in expansion in the Swift Siroccos as much as I like the way they fly I'm done shooting them at game period. I've had them flatten out like a silver dollar and make 90 degree turns off track and it almost cost me a monster wildebeest and a very nice warthog.

A few years ago I hit a medium sized WT Buck between the 2nd and 3rd rib, just above the sternum broadside and the bullet deflicted straight up into the spine.

Best I can tell the jackets and the lead allow they are using are just too soft.

I have a couple RUM's, and a couple friends that also shoot them, first, I have installed Shawn Carlock's "Defensive Edge" brakes on mine and am very happy with the performance they have. many times I am able to witness hits at 600 through the scope, I am always able to witness all my hits or misses at 1000 and further. They do a fantastic job, but require a person to warn other shooters of their blowback!!! I have no experience with the powder you suggested, but have used H1000, Reloader powders and Retumbo with the 210 Bergers, always a FGMM primer and remington brass. Best I have found is Retumbo, little dirty maybe, but really accurate and dependable.
I highly suggest a brake, this round deserves one! IMHO

You'll like RL26 and RL33. My latest load for RL33 with the 6.5LRM had me shooting 3 shot cloverleafs at 200yds pushing the Interbonds at 3400.

Peregrine is the best designed monolithic I've yet come across, without getting long winded the way the brass tip works it creates essentially a shape charge in the open cavity below guaranteeing consistent expansion across a broad range of velocities wile also working like a traditional tipped bullet as well physically forcing the hollow point tip to open.

The latest batch I received was VLR4's and VLR5 prototypes.

Accuracy has been good with all of them but it is the consistent, controlled, limited expansion that is by far their best feature.

If you want to try them I have some I can send you to give a ride. I've found that using Barnes load data for starting loads works very well.

Keep in mind though that with Mono's due to the difference in density they require a faster twist rate than lead core bullets of similar weight because they are so much longer.

http://peregrinebullets.co.za/vlr4/

I'm sold enough on them that as long as I can get them in the right weights I won't shoot anything else. When I can't I'll just shoot Interbonds.

Because of the crazy inconsistency I've seen in expansion in the Swift Siroccos as much as I like the way they fly I'm done shooting them at game period. I've had them flatten out like a silver dollar and make 90 degree turns off track and it almost cost me a monster wildebeest and a very nice warthog.

A few years ago I hit a medium sized WT Buck between the 2nd and 3rd rib, just above the sternum broadside and the bullet deflicted straight up into the spine.

Best I can tell the jackets and the lead allow they are using are just too soft.
I seem to be having a time negotiating that website, is there another place to get more info on their bullets?

welcome bud!! You have purchased a hell of a round and great platform. ive shot 1000's of rounds through 300 RUM's over the years and they are my personal favorite 30 cal!
Few things that are going to bring you quick success with this round
1. high quality 90 degree muzzle brake of some make, DE, Terminator etc.
2. h1000 powder buy a couple 8 pound jugs to last the barrel
3. CCI 250 mag primers
4. norma brass or ADG
5. choose a bullet and stick with it
6. ladder test @400 yards plus will yield fastest way to find load for LR work

ive done several with 180 gr bullets that were 3400 plus!! chrono velocity LABRADAR
Yes, I have achieved accuracy of less than 1/2 MOA with a 180 Scirocco at avg 3403, same load with 180 Accubond yielded same acc at avg 3440. Both with std deviation of less than 5 FPS, accuracy tested at 200 and 400 yds. The loads utilized Retumbo at 101 grains with a 215 match primer and sorted RP brass.

My best results with 190 LRAB and 200 gr Accubond both came with RL-25.

I am curious about trying other powders like H1000...not out of necessity but out the desire to find a load with good accuracy at somewhat-less-than barrel-burner velocities, both to extend barrel life and make range practice a bit more tolerable. I realize that this horse is built to run, but maybe something closer to a trot than running for the roses!

BTW - my avatar - 300 RUM, 200 Accubond, 484 yds, public land unguided.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.