300 RUM

Yes, one thing the RUM has is plenty of power. It can rival little guns in accuracy, needed most in long range. My best loads are not quite max with most bullets, but still plenty fast.
I have heard that RL-26 is a strong and accurate powder for this cartridge. If it performs anywhere near as well as it does in my 7mm RemMag (top vels with heavies, very good accuracy) than it's certainly worth testing! I simply haven't gone further than RL-25 because it gives me over 3200 FPS with a 200-gr Accubond and consistently groups 1/2 MOA at 400-500 yards. Same with a Swift 180 Scirocco II at 3400. Not sure a shaky old guy like me can shoot any better than that!

No doubt the 300 RUM is impressive in terms of power and accuracy, but it's not the cheapest round to load and shoot! Worth it to buy quality brass (I've had good results with Norma) and the 215 Match primers - they have been available in Michigan since last spring, but I stocked up and have not checked back since then. Try Jay's Sporting Goods in Gaylord, MI.

I have heard that RL-26 is a strong and accurate powder for this cartridge. If it performs anywhere near as well as it does in my 7mm RemMag (top vels with heavies, very good accuracy) than it's certainly worth testing! I simply haven't gone further than RL-25 because it gives me over 3200 FPS with a 200-gr Accubond and consistently groups 1/2 MOA at 400-500 yards. Same with a Swift 180 Scirocco II at 3400. Not sure a shaky old guy like me can shoot any better than that!

No doubt the 300 RUM is impressive in terms of power and accuracy, but it's not the cheapest round to load and shoot! Worth it to buy quality brass (I've had good results with Norma) and the 215 Match primers - they have been available in Michigan since last spring, but I stocked up and have not checked back since then. Try Jay's Sporting Goods in Gaylord, MI.

For those looking for Federal 215 Match, Grafs has then right now.

Rhett

Too light for retumbo, try RL26 or RL33. H1000 is a good choice as well but gives up about 100-150fps in velocity to the others.

Retumbo is great for heavier bullets but it's the dirtiest burning powder I've ever tried so I've moved away from it.

My results are like jasonco, Retumbo has been pretty clean for me when running the pressures close to top end. WildRose- given your statement about using middle of the road loads, this may be why you are seeing it as dirty. I find that RL-33 and Rl-25 seem dirty if the loads aren't towards the top end. Also, you recommended RL-33 for lighter bullets instead of Retumbo. I know that it's a different cartridge but in my .338 RUM and .375 Snipetac RL-33 seems to be slower burning. This is from using light(ish) and heavy bullets in both. I know that burn rates (charts) aren't a given so just take that as my findings.

My results are like jasonco, Retumbo has been pretty clean for me when running the pressures close to top end. WildRose- given your statement about using middle of the road loads, this may be why you are seeing it as dirty. I find that RL-33 and Rl-25 seem dirty if the loads aren't towards the top end. Also, you recommended RL-33 for lighter bullets instead of Retumbo. I know that it's a different cartridge but in my .338 RUM and .375 Snipetac RL-33 seems to be slower burning. This is from using light(ish) and heavy bullets in both. I know that burn rates (charts) aren't a given so just take that as my findings.

You're right. There is no "seems to be" about it. RL33 is in fact slower burning than Retumbo.

I've just found that Retumbo worked best with the heavies but even then was pretty dirty compared to the others. The loads for the 6.5 LRM that I bought with the rifle were very hot, too hot actually as the were giving me serious pressure signs and a very stiff bolt.

Who knows, maybe it was just bad luck with bad lots but I gave up on it completely and feel like the RL26 and 33 are giving me better results. I shot a lot of both in the .260 even though I was having to run very compressed loads attempting to get the velocity up where I wanted it. They are both just too slow for that case. RL19 and 23 have proven to be much better for me in that caliber.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to "under load" I just don't push max and over max loads like I used to. I'm running right at 3400fps in the 6.5LRM with RL33 with a super accurate load pushing the 129gr Interbond shooting cloverleafs at 200yds. Any faster and the groups start opening up but I have a wide accuracy node between around 3325 and 3400. I had about the same with the 143gr ELDX but didn't like the pressure and the Interbond is just a better bullet overall even if it's lighter and has a lower BC.

I was going to try to run the 132gr Peregrine's in it but they accidentally sent me the 123's. I hate to think just how fast I could push them if I leaned into it a little, HA!

Retumbo is my powder of choice in my 300 RUM from 180grn Noslers to 230grn Bergers. Don't care about dirty, my guns don't get cleaned until accuracy starts to suffer. Which usually only means cleaning my rifles once or twice a year.

I don't know why guys get all twisted up about 215M's. The "regular" 215's work the same. I also burn a lot of RL-25 in my RUM and have for 18 years. No problems with temps here. mtmuley

Another one for retumbo... I've tried a few different powders but keep coming back to retumbo

Nosler brass
88.7 grains retumbo
220 ELD-X
Federal large magnum primers
Seated to mag length

Oh yeah .... T3 muzzle break

I've had very good luck with it in both my .300wm's and .300 Rum's as well as the STW.

H-1000 had been my go to powder for just about everything in a large case since H870 went off of the market but RL19, 23, 26, and 33 impress me more and more the longer I use them.

I've had very good luck with it in both my .300wm's and .300 Rum's as well as the STW.

H-1000 had been my go to powder for just about everything in a large case since H870 went off of the market but RL19, 23, 26, and 33 impress me more and more the longer I use them.
I have always like the RL series of powders in everything. I used RL25 with 180's in my RUM. RL26 and RL33 have not been available for sale locally. I may look for some in Dallas this weekend.

You guys are getting me all pumped up to get my Rem out and blow the dust off of it.

I talked my nephew into a used 700 stainless with brass, ammo and dies a few years ago and bought a small shank varmint take off (stainless with a brake) about the same time for my Savage long actions. We have worked mostly with the nephew's 700 and only a little with my Savage combo (I got a 257 STW barrel right about then parked the 300 RUM barrel since then).

But I have this 700 in 300 RUM that may have never been fired. It came from a gun shop as used but I know the guy that sold it, I will have to ask him.

Anyway, when I was getting geared to help the nephew with his project I rounded up a bunch of 215 primers and 4 # of Retumbo. We only loaded 7828 with the 215's at about mid 85 gr levels pushing the Nosler 180 partitions (he is just a kid and no brake or good pad then). He ended up at .75" at 100.

Since then he bought a HS Precision stock with a limb saver and got a brake installed.

We have not loaded for it since and he has been running factory since the brake went on.

This past season (Montana) he ran a 180 TTXS in a factory load through a 4x5 bull at 400 yds cross ways through the heart with the Barns bullet stopping under the hide on the far side. The bull went down in a heap and the now 20 year old "kid" has an even tighter death grip on his long range fire stick!

We are going to get his rifle eating hand loads at first chance as he understands both the economy of it and the accuracy advantages but he is one busy young fellow.

Three44s

Yep, I still miss H870. I've tried several mil-spec ball powders but just cannot seem to find one that IS NOT highly temperature-sensitive, and at high pressures that means shifting POI etc. Not knocking them, especially for practice loads you cannot beat the price... but they burn dirty so you better be ready to swab the bore every few rounds while cooling the barrel!

I've been a fan of the RL powders for years...to me they've always seemed less temperature-sensitive than anything from the IMR line and plenty accurate when the hand loader does his/her homework. Here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula we see a lot of serious temperature/humidity fluctuations, so that's a real issue.

Maybe it's just a bit of strange luck, but for me H-1000 has been a bit odd in several of my rifles. Won't give best accuracy at top velocities, and forget it if I think a respectable load with one bullet will even be close with another of the same weight. You always expect to tweak it if you switch pills, but I'm talking about major load re-development even when weight, length and profile are close. I haven't run into it that badly with other stick powders from Hodgdon. Got any tips for H-1000 in particular?

I won't make any claims for the RL's like "better than XXX" as I've had great results from other powders too... but for whatever reason the RL's have usually been more available and more affordable in my neck of the woods. (Maybe when I get to my second million in the bank I won't care about that. Working on it now...gave up on the first million a long time ago!)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.