280 AI replacement for 270 Win.

This thread inspired me to try RL17 in my 280AI. I have loaded some at 52 gr, 52.5 gr and 53 gr and will shoot for velocity, not this weekend but the next.

Will let you know.

What bullet weight are you shooting?

JD338

I too shoot the 280AI and as of now have a load of 63 grains of Retumbo with a 168 Berger VLD hunting bullet that I figure as I have not Chronographed it at about 2900-3000 fps. I have just picked up some RL17 and was going to test it in a 7mm-08 using the Berger 140 VLD hunting bullet with a starting load of 41 grains and move towards 45 or so until I either get pressure or the accuracy drops off as that is what I shoot for anyways . If I can pick up another 200-300 fps in the 7mm-08 then it would be shooting up there with the 280 remington and that isn't a bad thing either!
I can tell you one thing is that the Berger Hunting VLD's does do there job on game as I harvested a 200+lb. Whitetail last November with one and it performed beautifully now the only problem is finding them to reload with as they are as hard to find as primers !

gun)

This thread inspired me to try RL17 in my 280AI. I have loaded some at 52 gr, 52.5 gr and 53 gr and will shoot for velocity, not this weekend but the next.

Will let you know.

Thanks,
Some of the earlier members posting impressive MV never sounded back in. So they either aren't currently active on the Forum, didn't pursue it any further, or did pursue it and don't have anything earth shattering to report. If I can get some RL17, I may try it. Still working with a few powders that I currenlty have - Retumbo, H1000, IMR 4831SSC. Coming by gunpowder in Alaska can, at times, be difficult.

Don't necessarily have to wait till summer. Just walk out the door with a room temperature rifle and ammo and shoot over the chrono in the back yard. I do this every now in the cold season to get a quick glimpse of MV variation with temps increased from ~0F to ~72F. Just firing into a stump or some junk auto tires.

I suppose it's all relative. One might need to wait till summer to shoot in 85F. Or turn the heat up in a small room to bring the rifle and ammo up to 85F. I'd have to wait a very long time (100-year event) to shoot in outdoor temps over 85F in my home turf. 72F exceeds 95% of my summer day temps.

Unfortunately, I cant shoot "out back" - the neighbors are too close. Nearby FS land where I sometimes shoot is snowed under until spring thaw which is usually May or so. This time of year I shoot at the range which is about a 50 min drive and I've got some other testing going on that's a little higher priority with my 25-06. I might get some RL temp testing done with the 7mm or 300 WSM sooner, but it would require several trips to the range under different temp conditions.

That does make a difference. I've got neighbors through the woods too but they tolerate some of my periodic noise - so far...

If I get some RL17 I will probably put it through the paces also. I keep reading some good, some bad, some indifferent posts on this powder to the point that I was hoping to draw out some further feedback. But no such luck.

280 AI all the way!

With Reloader 17 I have seen 3041 over a Pact Pro chronograph from my 28" 6.5X47 Lapua with 139 gr. Lapua Scenars! Did not see pressure signs but backed it off because I'm sure that load will be bad news in the summer. My rifle has a .200" freebore so that helps.

I'm currently running 2960 with the 139's, which is what I was getting out of my 6.5-284, but I'm doing it with 8 gr. less powder!

-Erik

Not to hijack the thread but all this talk of RL 17 has me asking some questions.

Do you find it is a dirty powder?
Doesn't all this added velocity come with higher pressures?

BTW, I'd love a .280 AI. AI's are just cute as hell.
I love my 7RM.
I love my .270 also.

I guess my problem is I can't recall a rifle I didn't like. Real helpful huh?

I am sorry I have not chimed in. rifle is out for detachable mag conversion. Not sure whenit will return. I have 5 lbs of rl 17 and I plan to get back at it asap. I quit fooling with it when I ran out of 17 and then started fooling around with 189 Catursio customs and RL 22. The accuracy out of this Harold Fred built rock barreled gun were absolutly amazing. I shot some groups at 700 yds in front of witnesses that i am not going to talk about here for fear of a thrashing. I would be staying with these bullets but I shot some does with them and had very lack luster results. If they had not been shot out in big open fields they would have lost. No blood at all. So my next move is back to the 162 amaxs and I am very interested in the 180 berger as well.

Not to hijack the thread but all this talk of RL 17 has me asking some questions.

Do you find it is a dirty powder?
Doesn't all this added velocity come with higher pressures?

No.... that's why it's such an interestng powder. Greater velocity with less or equal pressure. The big question now is how temp stable is it? I have read conflicting reports on that and plan to find out myself. Also very interested in others experiences.

-Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.