280 AI replacement for 270 Win.

I can only tell you what the numbers are on my chrono. Could be defective. The real test will be when I get it out and start shooting some steel at extended ranges so we can calculate real drops. This should tell us more about the real bc of the bullets and the veolcity. I would not have cared if it had ran at 2950. that was really my target. My mouth fell wide open when I looked around at the chrono after the 1st shot with the 17. If I determin this is true this is quite an advancement in powder it seems to me. My 7wsm will run 162s @ 2950 out of my 24in abolt with retumbo stuffed in the case. I think I have several loaded and may not need any this season but as soon as I start to reload for it we will be checking the velocity with rl 17. If anyone else has any other data using the RL 17 be sure to chime in.
T

280 AI all the way. I even love the 280. I love the 7mm possibilities. My .280 encore will shoot 120gr Barnes all day at .8 or less with RE22. Never had a deer walk away. Course I am kind of biased, I own 3. That 120 acts like a 140 from any other company. Devastating!

I can only tell you what the numbers are on my chrono. Could be defective.

My 7wsm will run 162s @ 2950 out of my 24in abolt with retumbo stuffed in the case. I think I have several loaded and may not need any this season but as soon as I start to reload for it we will be checking the velocity with rl 17. T

Have you shot your 7wsm and 280AI over your chrono in one chronographing event, and your 280AI read 3150fps and your 7wsm read 2950fps? If so, perhaps your chronograph is giving good data/speed.

The chronograph is the way to nail down the MV, above and beyond drops. Using drops to establish muzzle velocity involves guesstimation of both MV and BC. You need to establish MV over the chronograph - in my opinion.

Maybe you know someone else that will let you shoot over their chrono as a check on yours? What brand chrono are you using? "Never say never", but your 280AI MVs seem on the high side. Look forward to learning of your final determination.

This was exactly my reaction when I looked at my chrony. After shooting my RL17 loads. I shot a 5 shot string of max H4350 loads with the same bullet. They were 200 fps slower. 2990 vs 3193.

Which bullet from your 300 WSM? If you're shooting 200 grain bullets at 3193 then I'm trying RL17 in my 300 Win Mag. :)

I have to agree with Todd. I use RL17 with Berger 168s and I can get 3150 as well. I am puzzled about one thing. I'm using more powder to get it. At 53 grs I only got about 2880fps. 55grs gave me 3000fps. I have gone up to 57.5 grs and got about 3150 and just starting to get some pressure. This is with a 27" Krieger barrel. Now, the load that shoots the best is 3050 and that load is shooting sub 2" groups at 500 yards. Not 2 MOA, 2 inches, a few times much less around an 1 1/5. At 100 it burns a single hole. I've checked this load over a Pact Pro and an Oehler 35P and these are real numbers. Sorry if a particular 7 mag wont do it. Pressure handling has a lot to do with the chamber, barrel, lug contact, brass, etc. The guy isnt telling a lie and I dont think he is full of crap either. Is it the norm, I wouldnt think so BUT I'm hearing of more and more people getting great numbers from Reloader 17. I know two guys getting 3000fps with 180s in a 284Win. I'm going to try those too as soon as they get here.

claims could be true with RE-17

I got 168smks to do 3100 out of my 26" 280AI with VV-N560
i had 162gr A-maxs at over 3000 but they are at 2930 for accuracy reasons

Ive tried it in my 6X47 lapua and am yet to see a velocity increase. deffinatly seen a accuracy decrease. ill keep pushing with it tho and see where i get. just waiting for a fine calm day

I can only tell you what the numbers are on my chrono. Could be defective. The real test will be when I get it out and start shooting some steel at extended ranges so we can calculate real drops. This should tell us more about the real bc of the bullets and the veolcity. I would not have cared if it had ran at 2950. that was really my target. My mouth fell wide open when I looked around at the chrono after the 1st shot with the 17. If I determin this is true this is quite an advancement in powder it seems to me. My 7wsm will run 162s @ 2950 out of my 24in abolt with retumbo stuffed in the case. I think I have several loaded and may not need any this season but as soon as I start to reload for it we will be checking the velocity with rl 17. If anyone else has any other data using the RL 17 be sure to chime in.
T

Todd,
What did you finally determine for MVs with RL 17? Curious minds want to know... could you post an update if you've any additional data/numbers to share? thanks,

T

Todd,

Anything more to report? Any reduction in ES with the non-magnum large rifle primers? RL17 velocities still running ~3140 fps with 162 AMAX?

I'm maxing out at about 3030 fps with a 280 RCBS improved with Retumbo powder out of a Brux 28" barrel.

I have to agree with Todd. I use RL17 with Berger 168s and I can get 3150 as well. I am puzzled about one thing. I'm using more powder to get it. At 53 grs I only got about 2880fps. 55grs gave me 3000fps. I have gone up to 57.5 grs and got about 3150 and just starting to get some pressure. This is with a 27" Krieger barrel. Now, the load that shoots the best is 3050 and that load is shooting sub 2" groups at 500 yards. Not 2 MOA, 2 inches, a few times much less around an 1 1/5. At 100 it burns a single hole. I've checked this load over a Pact Pro and an Oehler 35P and these are real numbers. Sorry if a particular 7 mag wont do it. Pressure handling has a lot to do with the chamber, barrel, lug contact, brass, etc. The guy isnt telling a lie and I dont think he is full of crap either. Is it the norm, I wouldnt think so BUT I'm hearing of more and more people getting great numbers from Reloader 17. I know two guys getting 3000fps with 180s in a 284Win. I'm going to try those too as soon as they get here.

LRangepro,

Are you talking MV from a 7mm Rem Mag or a 280 AI? 'toddconley' is talking 3120-3160 fps from a 280 AI with 162 gr AMAXs. If you're talking a 7mm Rem Mag then you would have to increase the powder charges to get similar velocity with the larger cased 7mm Rem Mag. Reason I ask is because your post made reference to 7 mag.

My 7mm Rem Mag accuracy/hunting load with 168 VLDs is also ~3050 fps from my 24 3/8" Tikka T3 using Hodgdon Retumbo.

Last edited:
My M700 24" Hart barrel 280 AI shoots the 160 gr AB to 3019 fps and the 140 gr AB to 3240 fps with MAX loads of RL 22 and a GM215M primer. Accuracy is excellent.

JD338

This thread inspired me to try RL17 in my 280AI. I have loaded some at 52 gr, 52.5 gr and 53 gr and will shoot for velocity, not this weekend but the next.

Will let you know.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts