270 win vs 280 Rem

come on feenix,

read my post before the last one. the 280 AI is superior to the 7 mm rem mag on light to medium bullets and just marginally slower with the heavier ones. it is the diamond in the rough. the 7 probably beats it out with the 175 or bigger bullets tho, but not much.

if any of you guys have any data on the 175grainers or bigger, i would like to compare to mine. H 4831 seems to work the best in mine.

you guys made my day. thanks for the laugh

doc

Read my post again since you totally missed the point, both .270 and .280 when AId has similar gains yet the .280 AI is glorified and the .270 AI is thrashed.

I missed the funny part but I'm glad you got a laugh and we made your day.

I am still fire-forming to .270 AI but I'm pushing the 175 Matrix at 2919 FPS with 57.5 H4831SC >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/index2.html

All of these benefits to any cartridge are for nothing if you can't get those high BC bullets to go at top speeds if they group like crap though. Just sayin.

Feenix,

i'm in no way meant that disrespectfully. i think some have misunderstood my responses. this is one thing that cant be helped on the internet or writing unlike being there. i LOVE the 270. i think it is one of the most efficient wonderful rounds ever introduced. it CAN hang right in there with 280 (both in standard and AI dress. I am not saying you cant get performance near to the other cartridges. he pushed the 25-06 to the limits too and got velocities near the 3700 fps mark in various improved versions. he didnt RECOMMEND it tho as it really burned up barrels and was rather persnickity in loading. each cartridge has its own personallity i have found over the years. modern steels have helped a lot on the erosion factor, as well as we learned to not shoot the piece when it is hot and a lot of other factors. the 280 was a dud to the public but handloaders loved it in the old days because we could get 7 mm bullets (the second most varied and factory produced cal.) and really use our "modern 270-as some of us said".
we loved the 270 so much that the 280 with the available factory 7mm bullets was just gravy. today that is not so much the case as more and more bullet manufacturers are making slugs that fill the niche for more and more calibers.

i guess i should have prefaced what i said before with the above. you guys really did make my day and that is with all respect too.

can a lover of shooting ever hate any cartridge? if they had spear season i would hunt that too.

doc

ooh and by the way,
meatyrem is spot on as far as i am concerned. if you read between the lines with po and i didnt know him or am not in anyway an expert of ackley, he is simply stating that in terms of max efficiency the 270 standard is on the same level with the 280 AI whereas the 270 AI and all 7mm cases over the case capacity of the 280AI were getting more inefficient. a viper is inefficient to a vw bug too, but that doesnt mean i dont like to drive it. i just cant afford it.

doc

The only real advantage to the AI design is what PO intended, better case life with less stretching at the same top pressures as there parent case. Using a 28" barrel and going from 2880-2900ish with a 165 matrix, to 2950-2970 isn't very impressive, especially when you have to form the cases, everyone has an opion and mine is why do that when a 270 wsm or wby mag still comes out on top and loading is cheaper, a redding 3 die set for a wsm is 65$, what's a 270AI, about 180 or so? Also I don't think to highly of a 280 or AI, but components are easier to get, and with 160s and heavier the plain ole 7mm rm has a pretty stout advantage over the 280s.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.