270 WSM for Elk?

Thanks for the comments, MPK.
I really don't see myself shooting game at 1k, but I would like to ring steel at that distance- maybe more.

I'm also a bowhunter and a muzzleloader hunter, and I've always enjoyed the challenge of getting in close and personal for the shot.

MTP, get you a 270 wsm,keep yur 270 wcf or trade it yur call , yes their all great rounds and I own them also,at first I was unconvinced about 270 wsm,then I started shooting with my good Friend that has had them in tikka's brownings, at least 2 of each over the past 12-15 yrs. so I decided to get one , lucked out and bought a used like new Savage md14 American classic, 24 inch bbl, it'll match the great 7 rem-mag, toe-to toe with same weight bullets, that's saying a whole lot,and its more efficient to boot. oh an by the way nothing wrong with the 270/300 w-mag wild-cat, just more powder to feed an less efficient. wolf76, have you ever shot a 270 wcf? let alone a 270 wsm? don't be Scared to have yur eyes opened, nothing Wrong with being Humbled once or thrice! I also shoot 300 w-mag ,7stw's 338 w-mag, been reloading 40 yrs yes dat Wonderful 270 short mag is that GOOD!!!

MTP, get you a 270 wsm,keep yur 270 wcf or trade it yur call , yes their all great rounds and I own them also,at first I was unconvinced about 270 wsm,then I started shooting with my good Friend that has had them in tikka's brownings, at least 2 of each over the past 12-15 yrs. so I decided to get one , lucked out and bought a used like new Savage md14 American classic, 24 inch bbl, it'll match the great 7 rem-mag, toe-to toe with same weight bullets, that's saying a whole lot,and its more efficient to boot. oh an by the way nothing wrong with the 270/300 w-mag wild-cat, just more powder to feed an less efficient. wolf76, have you ever shot a 270 wcf? let alone a 270 wsm? don't be Scared to have yur eyes opened, nothing Wrong with being Humbled once or thrice! I also shoot 300 w-mag ,7stw's 338 w-mag, been reloading 40 yrs yes dat Wonderful 270 short mag is that GOOD!!!

I own and shoot a good number of rifles including the 270s. Some of the other cartridges in my safe are 257 bee 308 243 35 rem 30.06 45 raptor 300wm 223
In my previous post, I said there is no hate toward the cartridge from me. I think of guns like tools. Use the right tool for the job. Deer, antelope, and coyotes don't take much. Elk, moose, and bear are a bit different. All can be killed with solid shot placement/bullet construction. Next consider shot distance. 300 yards or less? 500 yards and more? All this is too say there are many variables.
What gets me is people thinking their one cartridge (usually the 6.5 crowd) is vastly superior to anything else. Then the bc tables come out and name calling starts. I think they're each cool for different reasons.
As for eye openers, if you want to see a real difference, we'll shoot steel at 500 +. You can ring it and I'll ring it and swing it. The 270 wsm has nothing on my 300wm with a 215 berger. Broz has proven that.
If you want to see a very under appreciated round, check out the 257 weatherby.

I own and shoot a good number of rifles including the 270s. Some of the other cartridges in my safe are 257 bee 308 243 35 rem 30.06 45 raptor 300wm 223
In my previous post, I said there is no hate toward the cartridge from me. I think of guns like tools. Use the right tool for the job. Deer, antelope, and coyotes don't take much. Elk, moose, and bear are a bit different. All can be killed with solid shot placement/bullet construction. Next consider shot distance. 300 yards or less? 500 yards and more? All this is too say there are many variables.
What gets me is people thinking their one cartridge (usually the 6.5 crowd) is vastly superior to anything else. Then the bc tables come out and name calling starts. I think they're each cool for different reasons.
As for eye openers, if you want to see a real difference, we'll shoot steel at 500 +. You can ring it and I'll ring it and swing it. The 270 wsm has nothing on my 300wm with a 215 berger. Broz has proven that.
If you want to see a very under appreciated round, check out the 257 weatherby.

Off topic, but someone needs to keep beating the drum... How great would that 257 Roy be if it were pushing high bc bullets in the 130 class? It would be a game changer for several cartridges that get passed over because there are no modern bullets to feed them. I do not want to derail a good thread. Just plugging an idea where a .257 came up.

Off topic, but someone needs to keep beating the drum... How great would that 257 Roy be if it were pushing high bc bullets in the 130 class? It would be a game changer for several cartridges that get passed over because there are no modern bullets to feed them. I do not want to derail a good thread. Just plugging an idea where a .257 came up.
We just built one with a 7" twist and made a 128g bullet for it. At 3250fps it is pretty good to 700+ yards for hunting.

Sorry for continuing the derail.

Steve

wolf76, points taken and well said....... I guess I called you out a bit, glad you have a 270 wcf, yes i'm a 270 lover n shooter,you know not everyones cup of tea is big bullets and big recoil,ive got 300w-mag custom that's pretty tricked out,heck I love shooting steel , but lets bac it up shall we , 1,600 to a mile would be very nice, your 215 berger would rock the steel better that's a given but also an unfair advantage,ive got most of what you got except 257 bee n your 45 raptor, but my 25-06 aint no push over,my rng backstop is 625 yrds, ever come thru wis? yes agreed all 25 cals are under loved, MTP what say you?

wolf76, points taken and well said....... I guess I called you out a bit, glad you have a 270 wcf, yes i'm a 270 lover n shooter,you know not everyones cup of tea is big bullets and big recoil,ive got 300w-mag custom that's pretty tricked out,heck I love shooting steel , but lets bac it up shall we , 1,600 to a mile would be very nice, your 215 berger would rock the steel better that's a given but also an unfair advantage,ive got most of what you got except 257 bee n your 45 raptor, but my 25-06 aint no push over,my rng backstop is 625 yrds, ever come thru wis? yes agreed all 25 cals are under loved, MTP what say you?
Agreed. We're cool. Unfortunately I don't make it to the other side of the pond much, but it sure is pretty.
If he buys a 270wsm, i think there's no reason to keep the 270 win.

yes Agreed, and yes its Pretty,thks......but he could turn his 270 wcf in a 270 BEE or 270/300 mag, or just keep it cause its special? anyway his choice .

Thanks for all those responses!
I'm planning to trade off my 270, but my wife has a REALLY nice one that I'll still be able to shoot if I ever get the urge.
Was gonna get the deal done tonight, but we've got a bunch of snow coming in and I needed to get a bale out for the horses.
As for the 25's, the gun counter guy where I'm getting the WSM from is a guide and he shoots a 257 Weatherby. Sounds like a hell of a nice round, but yes, underappreciated.
Still have my eye on a 300 RUM, too, just need to find the funds.
As you can see, I've got too many expensive hobbies!
Thanks again for the replies!

Ron

Why try to reinvent the wheel. My brother, who passed last March, and I killed 49 elk between us, and only lost one that we didn't recover(w. 7mag). Most were killed with .300 Weatherby, two with a .270wsm...and you could tell the difference...the big bull went for some distance on our standard behind the shoulder lung shot, before he layed down and died. If he had been in our brushy coast country, we could have lost him. Elk are tough,but our record of shot/recovery speaks for itself. .300 Weatherby.

Wheeler, congrat's on that many Elk taken, and Welcome to the forum!!!, Condolences on your Brothers passing, I think you should start your own thread about the 300 (BEE) weatherby seriously many could benefit from your hunting experiences , i'd for one would love to hear them all, being that i'm not that close to elk hunting land ,and can't go each and every year ! I'm a 300 wby fan owned a Vangard for yrs reloaded it grouped 3/4to 1moa with my best reloads , load for a 300 rum,another great rd but not as efficient as the 3oo Bee, jmov don't flame me guys! last point about the 270 wsm its efficient milder recoil, as hunters and shooters we're not all the same size and recoil proof,or have the Sharp skills of a Natural , most earn their skills the hard way . think about writing up some or lots of your Hunts Will you? thks jjmp

Well thank you for the welcome, jjmp. Where do you hang up your hat? Going on first sage rat expedition of season in the morning, but will tell you one bedtime elk story, with a moral. The morning before season, about four years ago, we had 12 batchelor bulls spotted across a big canyon. Five of them were what you would call trophy bulls...about as big as they get. Those old bulls get that way from not being seen in daylight, and by 0730 they were bedded down. Opening day never saw a hair. The habits of Rocky Mt elk are so different than the Roosevelt's, that I grew up hunting the first half of my life, that you might as well call them caribou...they can move ten or more miles overnight, while Rosie's live and die within five miles of where they were born. Anyway, second day the sun was out and I spotted a 5-pt on bunch grass open hill at 0830. No cover, open grass, so I did the coyote crawl to get closer. Done this many times on deer & elk. Get down on hand & knees and crawl...look like coyote. At 400 yds I thought good enough, so I sat up set up my tripod. There was a scrub patch of juniper above and I scanned it looking for color. I decided to move ahead five yards to a tree for a rest. Soon as I moved the bull threw his head up and started trotting, and from the juniper explodes one of the trophy bulls. He was watching me the whole time and was going to let me shoot the little one. I run ( stumble) along parallel as they run into a thicket. At far end of juniper thicket I stop, looking downhill for moving color. Nothing. Suddenly, I hear movement and 20 yds behind me, on my hill, the trophy is wheeling and now they're both heading up through thick dry burned juniper. Three well placed shots could'nt penetrate the dry trees. At the top of the hill he stopped for an instant, mid-twosomething. I fired as he was moving again, and felt myself pulling a lead. Shot. Nothing fell. They disappeared over the hill. Got to the top, no blood. Now when you shoot at game, and no sign of blood, you still have a responsibility to the animal, and yourself to make positive sure you missed clean. I planned to spend the rest of the day on the tracks, but take my time, because we've learned that if you put a bullet in an elk ANYWARE...even a hoof...they will eventually bed down, because

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.