270 WSM for Elk?

As far as elk go I cant help but I shoot the 150 VLD's from my Savage Model 16. Is has the fluted bull barrel and muzzle break. It really shoots lights out and has taking some really big hogs past 300 yards.
As far as elk go I cant help but I shoot the 150 VLD's from my Savage Model 16. Is has the fluted bull barrel and muzzle break. It really shoots lights out and has taking some really big hogs past 300 yards.

Attachments

• 20170808_110857.jpg
    20170808_110857.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 309
The early Savage 270 WSMs were 1-11 so you do want to verify that, I started out in the 270 WSM with a Savage model 12, shot that barrel out with 140 Berger's at 3250fps, absalutely awesome! Rebarreled to a 1-10 twist then burnt it out with 165 Matrix, even more of the awesome sause!! My next one will be on a Montana Action to take advantage of the 3.125 mag box and classic design. I really, really like 270's!!!!!

If you already have a 270, why not go bigger? 300 win mag or something in a different class. No hate towards the 270, the 270 wsm is only marginally different. If you're going to buy a new gun, make it worthwhile.

I've personally always thought the 270 WSM was a good candidate for a Barnes bullet. Plenty of velocity to ensure long range expansion, but solid enough to keep from fragmentating on close shots.

Load it with a 150 nbt. In the 270 wizzum it will be a bang flop out to 800 or so yards. I love the 270 win, but after years of shooting the wsm, I have to go with the latter. Too much of a good thing is never bad...in moderation

If you purpose build a 270Win with the best bullets in mind, throat it and twist it correctly it still will pack the mail, blow it out to a Sherman design or AI and it'll running with the best. Though I'm going to encourage every one shooting a 270 WSM to petition ADG for brass!!!!;)

If you purpose build a 270Win with the best bullets in mind, throat it and twist it correctly it still will pack the mail, blow it out to a Sherman design or AI and it'll running with the best. Though I'm going to encourage every one shooting a 270 WSM to petition ADG for brass!!!!;)

How do we do that? Contact info?

Why not choose a kimber mountain ascent rifle in 300 win or 30.06. 6.5# and comes with a brake. Sure there are better brakes though. Lightweight and sub moa guaranteed. As for cost of ammo, I'll push for any serious shooters to reload. I load many cartridges and the most expensive round is $2 per copy (that's if I have to buy brass too). Often its less than $1 per shot if I'm reusing brass.

My daughter is 17, has taken 4 bull elk in Colorado and Montana with a browning a-bolt 270 WSM. loaded with 140 partitions. She is not a seasoned shooter but shoots pretty well. All of her bulls were taken at 350+ This year she took a big 6x6 at 647yds. One shot DRT. Every elk she has taken has been 1 shot never went farther than 40 yards. I guide hundreds of hunters and see all calibers. A 338 with a bad placed shot will do no better than a 257. The reason I am a 270 WSM fan is. Lighter kick,lighter weight rifle, Shoots very well with 140-150 grain bullets, and the most important part is she is very comfortable and confident with that weapon. I say go for it I think you will love the results! I shoot a 7mmstw and 338 Lapua I see no difference in how they perform out to 800 with good shot placement.

A 338 with a bad placed shot will do no better than a 257. I shoot a 7mmstw and 338 Lapua I see no difference in how they perform out to 800 with good shot placement.

I read (and said) the same things many times. I like ENJOYING shooting, and cannons generally are not much fun.

That said, the attraction of a 300 WM or RUM is hard to ignore...

The other side, too, is that I have a hard time reading the wind- especially in the mountains. The bigger/heavier bullets would be better in that respect.

the 270 wsm will def get it done on elk. I know guys who shoot 243 wssm for elk. as others have said its all about distance. guys kill plenty of elk with bows, but not at 800 yds. so, then you have to decide how far can you shoot in the area you hunt. if no shots are possible past 100 yds, there is no reason to get rid of your 270 win. if you can shoot out to 1000 yds, then you need a different cal. So yes, the 270 wsm can kill elk out to distance. now the question is can the rifle you chose do it? can the ammo? and can you? I would venture to say that most off the local sporting goods shelf, with basic factory hunting ammo are not capable of shooting accurately enough to hit an elk at 800-1000 yds. at least not reliably enough to ensure a first round hit, every time. heck that's a tall order with a custom rifle and hand loads. so, really look at what you can do in the area you hunt, what you are willing to do to ensure the rifle and ammo is capable of shooting, and you practice enough to be able to successfully engage an animal at the distance you want.

I know when I goto the range with my 6.5 saum, I always take a cold bore shot at 600-800 yds. cause that's what my hunting scenario will be. Ive spent a lot of time doing load dev and then shooting and trueing out my ballistics calculator to KNOW my dope is going to be perfect when it comes time.

just some things to think about

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.