270 for Elk which ammo

What about the Federal Premium Bonded tip . It's the old Bear Claw. Read a lot of phrases for this 130 gr bullet for Elk. Accuracy and shot placement are critical as in any Bulliet.
The Barns TTSX sounds great but the Bonded tip Federal sounds good also because you can get a little more expansion in Bullit , which will deliver the energy in the Bullet

Last edited:
As you mentioned, the Barnes or even the Nosler E-tips or Hornady GMX would work. Before I worked a load up for my wife's 270 she used the superformance 130gr gmx and they worked just fine.

I get good accuracy from the Nosler Trophy Grade 130 Accubonds, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I will be switching to hand loaded 140 Accubonds before hunting season starts though.

I've used the 150 partitions with perfect results on 3 critters. Deer and elk. It expands quickly and the front half fragments a bunch, causing lots of damage, then the back half forms a compact mushroom and passes through completely. Can't go wrong with it if it shoots well for you.

Anyone tried the 150 gr Berger VLD? I bought a new Sako 85 gray wolf in the 270 & was planning on trying this load. I have two 7 mags , a 30/06 & a 264 win mag. Not sure why I'm itching to take the 270 on my elk hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts