270 for elk?

Use as heavy of a bullet as you can. I would say 150+ Partitions, accubonds, E tips, GMX, Barnes TSX and TTSX all good bullets, just remember weight is your friend

I don't know this guy, but I will tell you that he knows what it takes to kill an elk. Very good advice.

I shoot a 7 mag as my all-around rifle, and there are people that would tell you that it's not enough gun for elk! Elk can take alot of killing if they want to, and a .338 in the guts is going to do alot worse than a .270 behind the shoulder! My great grandpa, grandpa and dad all remember trading in their .30/06's and "upgrading" to a "real" elk gun when the .270 became common out here. My brother still hunts with our great grandpa's 1948 M70 .270 as his only big game rifle, with Nosler 130 Accubonds as his all-around load with no trouble to date.
My girlfriend shoots an M700 .270/Leupold combination that works great for her. She's 5'x 105 lbs, most girls her size would be shooting a .243 or 7mm08, but she believes in killing stuff right now. Last fall she killed a big bull elk, bull calf and a 150" whitetail with three shots total using 150 Nosler Partitons, what i consider being the top of the line bullets for the caliber.
Go use your .270, put meat in the freezer! Hit 'em right and they won't have a a clue you weren't using a .338 Remchester Super Short Ultra STW with all copper XYZ bullets.

I killed two antelope in Wyoming 2 weeks ago and love my 270!! I love shooting this gun due to the light recoil which increases my accuracy which I found out with a 419 yard harvest of my antelope doe. I'll be using it for mule deer next year and elk in 2014.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.