270 win for elk?

Tex3030

A family member is going on an elk hunt next year. He has plans on taking his 270 win. I do not think he will attempt a shot over 300 yards. I suggested using 150gr partitions, but this was just a guess.

All that I have heard about elk is that they are exceedingly tough (have heard the same things about pigs we shoot with .22s (although have seen one shake off 4 rounds of .41, only to be put out by a .22) Based on the pictures on federal ammo they do not suggest the 270 with 150 partitions for elk, but I have no idea how they came up with their recommendations.

If the 270 is not enough for elk I can loan him either a 30-06 or 300 RUM, but neither will be used past 300 yards.

270 is what I have been using on Elk for the last 10-12 years. It works just fine with 140 Accubonds and I've taken some down past 400 yards. I used to use 130 gr Partitions and they were OK too, just seemed like shot placement was less forgiving.

270 win will work very well on elk, I have shot several bulls with mine. I use run of the mill Hornady 150 gr SP bullets. Keep in mind that these bullts are not bone crunchers but a well placed bullet just behind the shoulder will have a bull down in no time (none of mine have gone more than 100 yds). If you want something that will stay together a little better try Barnes TSX 150 gr. I shot a bull last year and managed to recover one of the bullets and was pleased to see that it performed eactly as advertised... expanded to twice the original diameter, approx 100% weight retention. I guess that my choices for bullets on elk with the 270 would be Hornady Interbonds, Barnes TSX, Nosler Accubond, TBBC or something to that effect, and not neccesarily in that order.

This year was my first year with my 300 RUM and I was very pleased with its performance as well with a 230 yd bang flop with a 210 gr Berger.

Whichever he is most comfortable with 270 or 300 RUM either will work well. Hope this helps

Tex 3030

The 270 will be fine with 140 or 150gr bullets at those distances. The elk may run
a little ways but if the terrain is not to bad a well placed shot will do the job.

I like a larger calibre for elk but if he's use to the 270 then that's what he should use.

Good luck
J E CUSTOM

The locals where I hunted this year use 270s or at most a 7mm. They have no problem putting elk down though they were increased with the long range performance of my 300WM.

Within 300 yds, a 270 is fine.

Loaded with a good 140 or 150 grain bullet the 270 will take Elk for sure and for certain

I know of many people who have shot elk with a 270 a few that come to mind used barnes triple x. I myself reloaded for my niece who was 16 and drew a once in a lifetime elk tag in ND her first try I have been trying for 15+years but back to the subject. 100gr barnes triple x in a 2506 did the job well for her with a one shot kill at 250yds.

Brent

I have two loads I use in the 270 Win. I like a 22 inch barreled rifle for dark timber elk hunting.

My open country load is a Sierra 130gr SPBT @ 2940 to 3000 fps depending on which rifle I have in my hands. It is my deer load.

My dark timber Elk load is a Nosler 160gr Partition Semi-Spitzer @ 2700 fps. The 160 gr load will break shoulders and is a very efficient load with minimal meat damage.

I think I would develope a 150gr reload if I only had "one" rifle in my vault.

Never used my 270 on elk but have on nilgai antelope. If you are using factory rounds, use federal high energy 140 tbbc or partition loading. If handloading, 130 barnes ttsx at 3100+ fps will do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.