260 Rem vs 6.5 Creedmr. What's the real Difference??

muleythumper

So, I keep reading bits and pieces on the 6.5 Crdmr. What is the real difference ......advantage/disadvantage of this round, compared to the 260 Rem.

I am considering the Savage LRH in 260, but just found out that this rifle is also offered in the 6.5 Crdmr. I can only assume they are chambering in both of these 6.5mm rounds for a reason, I just don't know what that reason is.

Any ideas out there?

Unless it changes , the creedmoor is single source brass and less case capacity. The 260rem. is a much better supported round with much better brass available. Imho the creedmoor is a fad that will fade away. Only thing it has going for it in performance terms I can see is a little longer neck.

Everyone has their own ideas/threshold for the perfect balance of velocity, energy, recoil, accuracy...

Lapua Brass is a distinct advantage with the 260 relative to the Creedmore, though not insurmountable.

For better or worse, there are many great 6.5 cartridges to choose from.

-- richard

I've looked at both and there is not much different ballistically. I chose the creedmoor and I'm glad I did---it is one of the most accurate cartridges that I have.
I don't think it's a fad but if it is, oh well, I'll just let it do the talking.

Randy

So, I keep reading bits and pieces on the 6.5 Crdmr. What is the real difference ......advantage/disadvantage of this round, compared to the 260 Rem.

I am considering the Savage LRH in 260, but just found out that this rifle is also offered in the 6.5 Crdmr. I can only assume they are chambering in both of these 6.5mm rounds for a reason, I just don't know what that reason is.

Any ideas out there?
There is no advantage in going with the Creedmore vs .260 Rem and many advantages to the .260 over the Creedmore.

The biggest is that 20 years from now the .260 will still be around as a factory rifle and ammo and the Creedmore will just be another wildcat that never really took off.

The higher case volume and availability of Lapua made .260 brass made it for me a no brainer.

I see more guns cataloged for 6.5 creedmoor than 260 remington, 6.5 is faster with the 120 Hornady superformace, super accurate and true short action caliber. I love mine, Just ordered an HS precision in it and another cooper.:D

The Hornady loads for the 6.5 creedmoore especially the 140 a-max load is very accurate and reasonably priced. This make that round very appealing to non-hand loaders. I doubt the CM will ever vanish, Hornady is selling tons of ammo by the case to guys who shoot alot of tactical type comps. And we all know that type of shooter shoots enough ammo in one year to feed about 75 of your average deer hunters rifles.

The other advantage is the loaded oal can be slightly shorter than the 260 rem with long vld bullets, thus it fits in some short action magazine systems better.

I have two 6.5 Creedmoors. One in a Tubb 2000 by McMillian and the second a Cooper Excaliber. This is one of the most accurate calibers that I have owned.

The 6.5 Creedmoor was developed by Hornady with Dennis DeMille's input to be a, first and foremost, a match cartridge. Unlike so many new cartridges that we are offered that are designed as hunting rifle cartridges, that do not have true ballistics laboratory development programs. The 260 is nothing more than stuffing a .264 in a 308 case because it should be a good idea, and may have a market segment. There are some good articles out there defining the design criteria for the Creedmoor.

Creedmoor factory match ammo is very high quality and priced very competitively. With the performance levels out of this efficient case, the benefits as a hunting rifle cartridge are realized. I see this 260 vs Creedmoor story playing out kind of like the 6PPC vs the 6BR. The BR has come into it's own and does things better than the PPC over a broader range of application. I thinks that the Creedmoor will come into its' own.

Any ideas out there?
i have the LRH in 6.5 creddmoor and love it.

the biggest advantage is being able to seat the heaver bullets longer.

the biggest disadvantage is the lack of companies makeing rounds and cases.

but i have seen anouther company making loaded rouns now for the creedmoor.

6.5mm Creedmoor click here

coppercreekammo they have about 9 loads so far as i know go them from the 6.5 creedmoor forum. they have a lot of useful load info and build and tuneing info all for the creedmoor lightbulb

i also read some where that lapua is going to make a run of creedmoor cases to see how well they sell.

man i hope thats true, we need more options for this great round.

. The 260 is nothing more than stuffing a .264 in a 308 case
Which was an excellent idea. Just like stuffing a .284 in a 308 case for the 7-08
the 260 and creedmore are both excellent rounds. Just because you like the creedmore doesnt mean the 260 is nothing more than just a turd
I agree though, once you own and really like something its easy to become a little biased...for instance me and the 270wsm

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.