Reloading- Cheap resizing dies vs expense- What's the difference?

hankle

I have always used RCBS standard dies or Lee. I have a RCBS precision mic for all my calibers, buy lapua brass (when possible), double measure powder, sort bullets by weight, but I cheap out on the dies...

I have really good success with a semi custom rifle in 223 that I reload for. I'm all over 1/4 moa at 200yds with that combo.

Granted, I don't reload large volumes and I don't compete.

Am I missing out?
HW

Obviously if you are at 1/4 MOA, your not missing out on anything. I've tried the top shelf competition bushing dies on a recent cartridge, they work well. Not sure it was worth the $300 I paid for the set and bushings. Oh well, I do like the more expensive seater dies (Redding and Forester) and the body dies.

I can't tell you the difference between them, but you can tell the difference just in the feel when you're resizing the brass, will it ever matter to you I doubt it for what you're doing. I bought some high end when dies were hard to get and that's the only reason I know and unfortunately it didn't make be a better shot.

Obviously if you are at 1/4 MOA, your not missing out on anything. I've tried the top shelf competition bushing dies on a recent cartridge, they work well. Not sure it was worth the $300 I paid for the set and bushings. Oh well, I do like the more expensive seater dies (Redding and Forester) and the body dies.
I can definitely see a benefit to the higher end seating dies. I spend a lot of time being anal with my cheap ones.

I too would like to know how higher end dies improve results potentially. I am a fairly novice reloader. I use Lee collet dies to load 168 VLDs in fire formed brass for my 7mm-08. It's a sub 1/2 moa gun with them seated long in single shot mode. Not sure if there's more out there to be gained but I never had luck getting magazine length 154gr SSTs to group better than about 1 moa using the same process.

This reloading thing is addicting. Most people I know started with Lee, RCBS and Hornady and gradually upgraded to higher end dies as they started into long range shooting and the custom rifle rabbit hole. There is a never ending list of things you don't necessarily need but want to try. That's a big part of the fun for me.

In theory you're eliminating variables. I've got from Lee to Redding Competition and have had excellent results with both.

I believe that in competitive shooting every variable you can eliminate takes you down to the loose screw behind the trigger.

Recent Posts