.260 rem vs. 6.5 creedmor vs. 6.5-284 norma

95huskers

Can someone discuss the ballistic differences between these three cartridges for me? I'm having a hard time finding any charts to compare the three. Focus mainly on 140 or 130gr VLD bullets. Looking at a custom build in one of these three cals and can't decide what to go with. Thanks.

Last edited:
95, I can give you the case capacities of these three,plus the 6.5 x 47 measured in grains of water with the cases filled to the base of the neck.

6.5x284 = 62 grs. water. ----------- 140s @ 3000 to 3100 fps

260 Rem. = 50 grs water ----------- 140s @ 2850 to 2900 fps

6.5 Creedmore = 47 grs water ---- 140s @ 2825 to 2875 fps

6.5 X 47 Lapua = 44 grs water ---- 140s @ around 2800+ fps

The capacity and feet per second are variable depending on bbl length, how each are throated, ( to fit in mag. box or loaded long for a single shot) and how hot they are loaded. So these FPSs are just ballpark numbers. The 130s give you another 100 fps or so.

The Creedmore brass is of questionable quality while the other three are available from Lapua or can be made from Lapua brass. ( 260 rem.) This ( Lapua brass ) is always a good thing !!

The 284 is best with a long action and the 260 is best with a long throat and extended mag box to get the most out of them. ------- RHB

I would go with the 260 rem. Best ballance of barrel life and velocity. Lapua makes brass for it now too. It's a good choice if you roll your own. If you are looking for good factory match ammo the Creedmoor is a good choice (although there is a lot of good stuff for the 260 also like Cor Bon etc.)

If you don't mind smoking a barrel or two the 6.5x284 is awesome. Great consistent brass super easy to tune a load for.

decisions decisions

I would go with the 260 rem. Best ballance of barrel life and velocity. Lapua makes brass for it now too. It's a good choice if you roll your own. If you are looking for good factory match ammo the Creedmoor is a good choice (although there is a lot of good stuff for the 260 also like Cor Bon etc.)

If you don't mind smoking a barrel or two the 6.5x284 is awesome. Great consistent brass super easy to tune a load for.

decisions decisions

I agree with you completely but some people on some BB's get all up in arms when you attempt to explain WHY a 6.5 x 284 ( or even just a plain 284) is a throat eater.

Out of the selection I went with a custom barreled .260...and so far ( very limited usage) I love it. If the right load in a 260...( or for that matter a Creedmore or even the 6X47) cant get "it" done..then it cant be done.

I agree with you completely but some people on some BB's get all up in arms when you attempt to explain WHY a 6.5 x 284 ( or even just a plain 284) is a throat eater.

Out of the selection I went with a custom barreled .260...and so far ( very limited usage) I love it. If the right load in a 260...( or for that matter a Creedmore or even the 6X47) cant get "it" done..then it cant be done.
Whatever you do don't shoot it. Save yourself!

The damned thing is insanely addictive.

I guess I'll have to put some pictures of my new AR 260 up and maybe a target.

Had to remount the scope yesterday and actually put a paper target up to sight it back in instead just shooting trusty rocks in the pasture as usual.

Didn't have much time, so I just set it at 250yds and started shooting.

After a 20rnd magazine.... . well it looked so good I burned three more magazines on rocks out to 800yds, and then made a real mess out of a starving, flea bitten, mangy young coyote at a little over 400yds on the run on my way home.

I don't quite have it all together like I want it yet, but **** is it a fun rifle to shoot!

8 twist 24" is loving 120's, 123's, and 130's.. .gun)

I have been using a couple of 6.5-284's for my LR hunting with great success. Just ordered a 260 that I want to use for target and competiition, as well as hunting. I have a lot of H4831 sc on hand. How is this powder for 140 VLD's in the 260? What can I expect in accuracy and velocity with this powder. The info I have looked suggests compressed loads. I will be shooting a 26" barrel.
Thanks.

I have been using a couple of 6.5-284's for my LR hunting with great success. Just ordered a 260 that I want to use for target and competiition, as well as hunting. I have a lot of H4831 sc on hand. How is this powder for 140 VLD's in the 260? What can I expect in accuracy and velocity with this powder. The info I have looked suggests compressed loads. I will be shooting a 26" barrel.
Thanks.

Here is a 139 Scenar load with 47 of H4831SC

5 shots... incredible accuracy ! getting 2888 FPS here at 4550 ASL

2.810 COAL, 26" barrel on a Surgeon 260 Rem.

260_with_47_4831sc1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.

H4831 can produce good accuracy, but it lacks in velocity. H4350 is the go-to powder for the 260. It easily produces 3000fps.

Whatever you do don't shoot it. Save yourself!

The damned thing is insanely addictive......

LOL...Nawwww. I have to get it out and get it sighted in very very good. Ive got a new 6-18 Zeiss with the Varmint reticle to get adjusted.

THEN its my custom made 243 HB with a Zeiss to get sighted in....THEN..
1 22-250 walking rifle with a Bruz bbl and a Stiller action.

They all piled up on me at once. And then with bad weather at times...and "honey do's" in good weather periods....I havent had a chance to pop primers for WAAAYYYYY too long. But my day's a comin!!

H4831 can produce good accuracy, but it lacks in velocity. H4350 is the go-to powder for the 260. It easily produces 3000fps.

That is great velocity out of a 260 with 140gr bullets. My max in my 6.5-284's is 3050. I'm running 2965 with my most accurate load out of my Cooper with a 26" barrel, 2945 out of my Savage LRH with a 24" barrel. What is your load and barrel to get that velocity?

That is great velocity out of a 260 with 140gr bullets. My max in my 6.5-284's is 3050. I'm running 2965 with my most accurate load out of my Cooper with a 26" barrel, 2945 out of my Savage LRH with a 24" barrel. What is your load and barrel to get that velocity?
Grizzly is claiming 3,000 FPS with their 130gr Scirocco load in .260; Federal claims 3,000fps with their 120gr Fusion in .260.

I've shot the latter and I can buy it but I have yet to verify it as I don't have a Chrony.

Looking for load data I can't find loads that say they can replicate them though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts