25-06 Reminigton info please

That's a beauty!

Thanks man!

I literally pieced this gun together from the action up. Bought the action and recoil lug from a local guy who had it still new and laying around, then bought the stock from a semi-local store that still had it sitting there from last year. Bought the barrel from another member on here. The DNZ scope mount came on my .338 WM when I bought it (same guy I bought this action from), and decided to reuse it. My new bottom metal and BDL assembly and action screws just came in Monday from Brownells. And the old Nitrex TR-One 3-10x50 I've had since about 2008-2009. For a $300 scope, that thing is CLEAR!

No worries man! It is great to see wood stocks on the long rifles still. I know they aren't perfect, but man, it looks great! Good work putting it all together. Can't wait to hear ow it shoots..

Yeah, it was hard patience saving up to put it together...

Knowing my smith, and the guns he's built me in the past...It should be a 1-hole rifle.

This is the rifle I have been talking about doing the switch-barrel setup on and swapping from .25-06 AI to .280 AI. to my .22 wildcat based on the '06 case...Which should be REALLY nasty. I bet you might even want one for coyotes and stuff up your way. Right now still a design, but once I get it proprietized through Dave Kiff and get my reamers and dies made, I will make a new thread about it.

That is a nice looking rifle, Hey guess what? My dies arrived today.
I have federal Large magnum match primers, norma brass, Adi Ar 2209 powder and 90gr blitzking, 90gr gameking, 100gr prohunters and 117gr prohunters to try out. A projectile between 100gr and 117gr may be the ticket. But I have the others to play with anyway.

This is the rifle I have been talking about doing the switch-barrel setup on and swapping from .25-06 AI to .280 AI. to my .22 wildcat based on the '06 case...Which should be REALLY nasty. I bet you might even want one for coyotes and stuff up your way. Right now still a design, but once I get it proprietized through Dave Kiff and get my reamers and dies made, I will make a new thread about it.

Well, I sure would be interested in seeing what kind of velocities that .22 wildcat produces, but not sure I want to pay the price per shot in barrel life :) what powder were you thinking?

Already have two 22 cals and I think my coyote rifle of choice will be the 6-284. Good luck with the switch barrel. I was gonna do one a couple years ago but my smith was adamantly against it.

Well, I sure would be interested in seeing what kind of velocities that .22 wildcat produces, but not sure I want to pay the price per shot in barrel life :) what powder were you thinking?

Already have two 22 cals and I think my coyote rifle of choice will be the 6-284. Good luck with the switch barrel. I was gonna do one a couple years ago but my smith was adamantly against it.
That's strange that your smith would be against it...As long as you torque everything to proper spec everytime, and your proofing marks line-up, I wouldn't see where you could go wrong.

Powder wise, was thinking 7828 SSC, being that it's based on the '06 case. Either that or Varget, maybe Reloder 19.

What do you think?

Yes, barrel life will most likely suffer tremendously. But it oughtta be fun while it lasts! :D

That's strange that your smith would be against it...As long as you torque everything to proper spec everytime, and your proofing marks line-up, I wouldn't see where you could go wrong.

Powder wise, was thinking 7828 SSC, being that it's based on the '06 case. Either that or Varget, maybe Reloder 19.

What do you think?

Yes, barrel life will most likely suffer tremendously. But it oughtta be fun while it lasts! :D

That smith is an old school kinda guy and I guess he just did not trust his clients to get it right when screwing the barrels on. But yeah, if you index the barrel and action, it should work OK.

I think Varget and 19 would be wayyyyyy too fast. 7828 will probably also be too fast. A 22-06 will be about the same overbore factor as the 7 RUM, so whatever works in a 7 RUM should be a contender for a 22-06. RL33, RL50, H870, N170, etc.

Yeah, it should be fun while it lasts, as long as you don't mind paying about $1 per trigger pull just for the barrel :)

Yeah, it's not a .22-06, but it's alot more tweaked than that. It'll be hotter than a .22-06, by a noticeable bit. I designed it around the .224 Berger 90gr VLD for coyotes.

So, Reloder 22, H1000, 25, 33, 50....All those oughtta be good enough to get me started then, right?

I got plenty of 22 and H1000.

Well....I got an old 20" .22-250 heavy barrel that the throat was trashed in, but the rifling looks decent enough to get started, that I'll ream the chamber out, and use for fire-forming.

Then once I get my capacities figured out, and my cases formed, buy a nice Shilen pre-fit short-chamber and let my smith finish it out. Problem is, I'll need a Sendero contour, but it will have to be 26" long, and a 1:7 twist.....That's gonna be hard to find.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.