257 WM info please

remingtonman_25_06

A friend of mine just got a Weatherby Vangaurd in .257 WM. It only has a 24" tube, I tried talking him into a 25-06, or getting a real weatherby w/ a 26". Anyways, I will be loading for the rifle. This will be my first Weatherby to work with. He wants to shoot 115g ctbtips. What are some powders some of you use in your rifles giving accuracy and velocity. The books dont seem to use slower burning powders, and they seem to be very conservative with there velocitys.

When I had my mark V I used imr 4350. I shot a hot load if you went with the reloading books, I used the 100 nosler bt I can not remember velocities with the load got .5 in groups or better at 100 yards. A friend of mine has a vanguard in 257 and it did not like the 4350 his liked aa3100. used win LRM primers I will see if I have any data around.

The 257 is a pretty good round and is foten looked down upon because of the free bore issue but they can be loaded to shoot realy well.
I have a friend that shoots a 25-300 Win mag and he found
R-22 to be a realy good powder for speed and accuracy , but he did say that he liked the idea of the new 7828 ssc powder .

I would opt to shoot the 110 Accu-Bond bullet over the 115 CT.

At least he'll have a good action to build on later if he wants to rechamber , the Howa's and Vanguards are realy under rated , their realy strong and can be made to shoot with any other factory action if worked right.

I have had two 257's, a friend has two, another friend and his brother has one each. All rifles have almost the same accuracy load: 72-73.5g of R#22, 215 primer, 100g Ballistic tip. Don't worry, the deer will not run a step when shot! If you want to try R#22 with the 115g Ballistic tip, 69g was the load in several of these rifles.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.