25-06 Reminigton info please

Yeah, it's not a .22-06, but it's alot more tweaked than that. It'll be hotter than a .22-06, by a noticeable bit. I designed it around the .224 Berger 90gr VLD for coyotes.

So, Reloder 22, H1000, 25, 33, 50....All those oughtta be good enough to get me started then, right?

I got plenty of 22 and H1000.

Well....I got an old 20" .22-250 heavy barrel that the throat was trashed in, but the rifling looks decent enough to get started, that I'll ream the chamber out, and use for fire-forming.

Then once I get my capacities figured out, and my cases formed, buy a nice Shilen pre-fit short-chamber and let my smith finish it out. Problem is, I'll need a Sendero contour, but it will have to be 26" long, and a 1:7 twist.....That's gonna be hard to find.

I think 22, 25, and H1000 are going to be on the fast side. If you want to try them, start with the 25. If it's too fast, you know the others will be too fast as well. I would go with H870 or RL33 to start. You should have a good idea of other powders performance based on one of those.

O, I have been reading this thread from the start and have a question or three.
I am not wanting to steal this thread but I have to ask, what is wrong with my standard 700 with a 24 in barrel, I can not get anywhere close to the vel. shooting 100 gr bullets that most are posting with heavier bullets.
I have tried H4350, R17 (it just did not like that load at all), R22, IMR4350. My best groups come from IMR4831 and R19 with IMR turning in 3200 FPS and R19 turning in 3275.
All powder listed could and are pushed to max book loads.
I am new to a 25-06 but dang I feel like Ned and the first reader compaired to what y'all are getting.

Thanks
John

3,275 is stout....My .257 Wby Mag loads are only at 3,300-3,400 and that's just barely flaring out the primers enough to notice. Much higher could be bad.

Some of the velocities we were discussing were for the .25-06 Ackley Improved where guys were getting 3,400+ fps MV.

You could always ream your chamber out to an A.I. Chamber to gain some extra velocity on your next set of reloads.

3,275 is stout....My .257 Wby Mag loads are only at 3,300-3,400 and that's just barely flaring out the primers enough to notice. Much higher could be bad.

Some of the velocities we were discussing were for the .25-06 Ackley Improved where guys were getting 3,400+ fps MV.

You could always ream your chamber out to an A.I. Chamber to gain some extra velocity on your next set of reloads.

'Runner...My darned 222 finally got her today....geeze! I'll fire a few rounds out of it and then will have to sit down and reload the 222 AND the 25-06AI

O, I have been reading this thread from the start and have a question or three.
I am not wanting to steal this thread but I have to ask, what is wrong with my standard 700 with a 24 in barrel, I can not get anywhere close to the vel. shooting 100 gr bullets that most are posting with heavier bullets.
I have tried H4350, R17 (it just did not like that load at all), R22, IMR4350. My best groups come from IMR4831 and R19 with IMR turning in 3200 FPS and R19 turning in 3275.
All powder listed could and are pushed to max book loads.
I am new to a 25-06 but dang I feel like Ned and the first reader compaired to what y'all are getting.

Thanks
John

RL17 is going to be your best bet for higher velocities. If your rifle doesn't like it you just have to go with what works best. Most sporter factory rifles will be more finicky about accurate loads. My velocities and accuracy were out of a 26" Sendero and it shot almost anything well. Some a little better than others.

RL17 got me 3400 with 115 CT's. The next fastest powder was Retumbo with 3200 fps and that was close to 100% capacity so it might be too slow for bullets less than 110 gr. Other powders are about 100 fps less than Retumbo, give or take.

Your velocites are well below what's published in Nosler's online data. Not sure why that is? Maybe the chrono?

25-06 Remington

Clay target guy: A true 3200ish fps with 100s is standard top velocity with the standard 25-06 from a 24" tube. Some rifles have fast barrels and some have slow barrels. Same load will produce greatly different velocities. You also have to take into account that posters are using different chronographs set up differently and with different conditions.
If you are getting the accuracy you want and 3200 fps then go out and kill stuff. They won't know the difference in a couple hundred fps. :D

'Runner...My darned 222 finally got her today....geeze! I'll fire a few rounds out of it and then will have to sit down and reload the 222 AND the 25-06AI

I'm still waiting to get those .25-06 AI dies and brass when you get tired of fire-forming. :D still got the money put back just waitin on you...

I am getting .44 groups with IMR 4831 and .55 with R19. I have not played with bullet seating depths yet but hope to in the next week or so.
I have always said, I would rather hit slow than miss fast, so the speed is not bad but not in the same ball park as other.
I know about fast and slow barrels but my experience has been 100 FPS or less, but that is why I am here, to learn.

Thanks for the responses to my question, and once again I did not intend to steal the original posters thread.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.