25-06 elk bullet recommendations please

Ok I gotta ask...why is everyone referring me to the 115 gr partition instead of the 120 gr partition? Is there something I'm missing? Wouldn't the 120 penetrate deeper and possibly carry more stopping power for bigger game?

I suposed you could use the 120 grain partions but I prefer the higher BC of the 115 ballistic tips
According to my software with the 120 gr partions you will be around 2300 fps at 400 yards
and with the 115 BT you will be Around 2350 at 500 yards
This is assume a muzzle velocity of 3100 which is fast
My daughters gun only gets 2900 fps.
Every gun is going to be different
you need to pick one or two and give them a try with a few different powders
We have had very good luck with the nosler accubonds and the BTs so we stick with them
I have no experiance on how the partions work on game
retiredpo

I suposed you could use the 120 grain partions but I prefer the higher BC of the 115 ballistic tips
According to my software with the 120 gr partions you will be around 2300 fps at 400 yards
and with the 115 BT you will be Around 2350 at 500 yards
This is assume a muzzle velocity of 3100 which is fast
My daughters gun only gets 2900 fps.
Every gun is going to be different
you need to pick one or two and give them a try with a few different powders
We have had very good luck with the nosler accubonds and the BTs so we stick with them
I have no experiance on how the partions work on game
retiredpo

Have you used the 115 BT on Elk? I like that bullet for Deer, but figured it a little soft for Elk.

The 120NP is a great bullet & accurate in my Sendero

Nope
But deer and bear with no problem
I have no experience with partions
And a good load with the 115 BT's and lots of confidance on where the bullet would hit at the yardage you list at that range a head shot is way do able , I would take a high shoulder shot but I know the gun could make the head shot. We shoot rock chucks out to 800 with it
Shot placement is a big factor and being able to confidently put the bullet there is too
Pick on or two and give them a whirl see what you gun like
The accubond would be a great choice I tried it first but the 115 bts shot way better out of this gun that and the higher bc was a easy choice which bullet to use
Retiredcpo

Barnes bullets hands down. I dropped an elk in its tracks with my 25-06 at 408 yards using the barnes tsx bullet. The ttsx bullet is a great bullet also with a higher bc for shooting at longer ranges.

as a guy who has shot close to 100 animals with a 25-06 including elk I can tell you with confidence the heavies partition your rifle will stabilize is probably your best choice. I shot one last year with a 100 ttsx and i couldnt hardly kill her. if my little tikka would shoot the 115 ttsx that would be another great choice. just remember with elk you want penetration which means you need great weight retention and as much weight as possible to start with.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.