25-06 elk bullets

trapfool

Hi
I don't know if this has been asked before, so here goes.
I need a bullet recommendation for elk in a 25-06. As my Dad is planning to come to Colorado to elk hunt with me. I plan on letting him use my 280 AI. That leaves the 25-06 for me.
Mostly I shoot the 100 and 117 pro hunter or game king out of it now.
Both shoot under 1/2 moa
Will the 117sierra ph do the job as long as I keep it to say 300 yds or less and put it in the boiler room. Or should I look for a tougher bullet. Acubonds, tsx,gmx or whatever.
Thanks in advance
Dave

I have used the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter for years on deer and it is the best deer killing bullet I have ever used. It may be just a might soft for elk. I helped do control hunting on a big farm for 15 years where my buddy and I took 100 deer a year and we shot them with many different calibers and bullets. We used a lot of different bullets in out 25-06s. It was before they came out with all these new bonded and mono bullets. The toughest bullets we used were the Nosler partition 115 and 120 gr and the 120 Speer Grand Slam. My buddy used the 120 Grand Slam when he was taken on a deer hunt by his boss as a Christmas gift to a trophy ranch where the deer were really big and the ranch suggested to being at least a 7mm mag. He killed two HUGE body HEAVY rack bucks and dropped each in their tracks with complete through and through both shoulder shots at an average of 250 yards. Load was 52 grs H4831 with the 120 GS in a Rem case and CCIBR2 primer.
I shot some NC deer with 120 GS with 49 grs IMR 4350, Rem case CCI 250 primer which did 2950 fps from my 26" barrel. I deliberately waited and shot a few deer that were facing me in the chest to see how the penetration was. The only bullet I recovered was one that came from a buck that was only 40 yards away. I found the bullet laying in the right ball joint that it had shattered. It was a text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. From my experience if I was to ever use my 25-06 for elk, which I would feel perfectly OK with using it, I would use these 120 Speer Grand Slams because I still have some on the shelf. I would just stay away from an entrance into a shoulder but would be OK with an angle out a shoulder. The GS were really too tough for my liking for the between 100 and 200 LB deer in NC.

I've never killed an elk, but wouldn't even think of doing it with a .25-06 from everyone I've ever talked to that has...

If I had to pick a bullet for it out of the current market selection, I would go with the Berger 115 VLD or Nosler 110 Accubond.

Good luck on your endeavor, and keep us updated on your hunt.

With a fast small lightweight bullet, I'd atleast consider shooting them right behind the shoulder for a double-lung shot... You might have to track him 1/2 a mile, but atleast you'll know he'll be down.

My choice would be an upgrade to 30 caliber. If that is not an option, Nosler Partition would be the bullet of choice for me.

Thanks Everyone,
I will look into these bullets as I have plenty of time before season.
I am going to use the 25-06 as I cant justify buying another rifle right now.
This hunt is more for my Dad as he is 72 years young and has decided he wants to shoot an elk gun).
So if I don't get a gimme shot with the 25, I will let it go.:cool:
Wouldn't be the first big game tag I have had to eat. Pass the onions and salt and pepper please:rolleyes:
Thanks again
Dave

Will the 117sierra ph do the job as long as I keep it to say 300 yds or less and put it in the boiler room. Or should I look for a tougher bullet. Acubonds, tsx,gmx or whatever.
Thanks in advance
Dave

I have no experience with that bullet but my guess is it will work fine. If it shoots well out of your rifle, my choice would be a 120 gr Nosler Partition. I would be totally comfortable hunting Elk with a 25-06.

I agree that a 25-06 is not the ideal cartridge to be shooting elk with. Though i have no doubt that you will be able to kill an elk with it. I would recommend using a 110 grain accubond that bullet would do just fine. If you want a little more penetration I would use a Barnes 100grn tsx bullet. The nosler partition would also be a good one. These Bullets will kill any elk at 300 yards as long as you put them right in the boiler room.

Put a decent bullet behind the shoulder that will reach the far side and open and you'll kill elk just fine!!! Bullet proof elk do not exist despite what the internet says!

I've killed a few elk with a 250-3000 or 243's and they expired just fine, the last one we killed with the 250 was with a 120gr Hornady and it was utter carnage for a few feet before it tipped over dead!!

Last edited:
I'd look into swift's 120 a-frames. They are what I will be loading for my girlfriends 25-06 for moose up here in SW Alaska.

Reuben

Nosler partition, Nosler E-tip, Swift A-frame Hornady GMX, or Barnes Triple Shock should do the job. Any of these bullets should break bone and still penetrate the chest if a shot goes off a little.

yup put any cup and core bullet in the boileroom of an elk using a 25-06 and your going to be eating back straps tommarow.
Put a decent bullet behind the shoulder that will reach the far side and open and you'll kill elk just fine!!! Bullet proof elk do not exist despite what the internet says!

I've killed a few elk with a 250-3000 or 243's and they expired just fine, the last one we killed with the 250 was with a 120gr Hornady and it was utter carnage for a few feet before it tipped over dead!!

I've never shot an elk, but they are animals with lungs and a heart. In my 26" 25-06 I have used Gamekings, core-lokt's, Partitions, Hotcores, Nosler Ballistic tips, SST's, and Bergers.

From my experience on whitetail, I would use partitions or a monometal bullet. Bergers, and 100 grain gamekings have failed to penetrate all the way on multiple deer. 117 grain gamekings and SST's act very similarly giving good expansion and pentration. I have never recovered a core-lokt, partition, or hotcore but the deer always died.

Elk are a lot wider than white tail in their chest area, and their bone is a lot heavier. Chose your shot like a bow hunter does and I would have no problem shooting an elk with my 25-06.

The 25-06 isnt ideal but if you must I recommend the heaviest bullet you can that will retain the most weight possible. if your gun will shoot them the 115tsx would be your best bet. mine wont stabilize them and so I shoot the 100ttsx...not a good elk bullet. You need the weight. 110 accubond or partition maybe if you cant shoot the 115 tsx

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.