35 Whelen bullet Recommendations for elk

CWM-RHG

Previously Chuck Moles
Going to build a 35 Whelen for a short range 200yd elk thumper. looking to use 200-225 gr. Looking at the 225 Accubond or the Barnes 225 Triple Shock X. Have read a few posts that say that the Accubond is the least accurate. Anyone have any experience or input on this cartridge? Looking into the Barnes 200 gr TTSX boat tail too.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Classic warhorse cartridge put into THUMPER mode with a 250 grain Nosler Partition for the chip shot at 200 yards. Do your job with bullet placement and harvest a big one!

I used both the original Barnes 250X and 200X from a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved. You can get pretty much the same ( or so close) velocity with these newer powders in a standard Whelen. Anyhow, I got the same results with the 200x as I did for the 250x! I worked up a load with the newer 200TTSX but never killed game with it. I would start "right there" if I were you! I used 58gr of H322, you probably couldn't go that high, but its a good powder. BTW, I took a Black Wildebeast with that 200X at a lasered 347yds with a hold on top edge of his back. I was zeroed +2 at 100. I shot a zebra at 250yds with it too, base of the neck. Never recovered a bullet.

Have not used a 35 Whelen as much as a 358 winchester--but always found a 225 grain Speer, 250 grain hornady interlock round nose.. to be very deadly...this also worked will in a 350 mag...

That 250 grain Nosler Partition sounds like a winner to me. If you plan to use it inside 200 yards as a hunting rifle it doesn't need to be a sub moa rifle. I know we all hunt those one hole groups, but in your situation it doesn't need to be that way. I would be more interested in sub 2 moa accuracy and top shelf penetration and bullet performance than I would in a one hole tack driver and possibly having my bullet not thump like I wanted it to.

The 250 core-loct or partition have worked well for me in the past. Going down that road now the 223 Sledge hammer would be up top of the list.

Not to many bad choices for what your considering.

Any of the the two you mentioned will work. Accuracy will not be an issue at those ranges. Your hunting and if its shoots 1 minute thats great for short range thats great.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.