25-06 Bullet Recommendation

I have used Sierra 117 GK for several years in my 26-06. It has taken goats out to 700 yards, muleys out to 400+ yards, and elk out to 350 yards. I will say I personally would not push it over 400 yards on elk.

Another one here for the 115 grn Berger. I started reloading for these before I had a chronograph (2009 time frame) and I settled on a load that shot the best groups. I've shot Blacktail, mulies and a metric butt load of white tails with this bullet from ranges of 12 yds to 326 yds. Never had one fail.

Of note once I finally got a chrono I found out I was pushing these bullets at a measly 2980fps. They still hit like a hammer though!

I have used nearly every brand of bullet in the 25-06.
Barnes grouped the worst.
Outstanding performance has been attained with the 110gr Accubond and 115gr Partition.
Either will drop larger game than you think with no trouble, even elk size deer.
Another goodie for exceptional penetration is the 120gr Partition.
120gr Speer Hot Cor is also good.
I have used 115gr Berger, but the supply here dried up almost 2 years ago, they work very well at ranges around 600mtrs.

Cheers.

I just picked up a Tikka 25-06 for my wife to shoot out west (Wyoming) this year, and I'm looking for people's experience/recommendation with bullets for this round. She drew an antelope and muley tag, both bucks this year. I would say the max she will be shooting is to 400 yards, but realistically under 300. I do reload and my initial thoughts are to start with the 110 gr accubond, however I am open to other suggestions. I've searched online but not a whole lot of discussion on modern bullets for this ol round. The only one else who reloaded for the 25-06 in my family was my grandfather and he used 120 gr core loks. What do you think, is the accubond the right place to start?

I have a sendero sfII that loves the 115gr bergers on top of a heavy load of 4831sc. The 110 eldx looks like it could be awesome as well.

I have been loading Hornady 110 ELD-X bullets over around 58gr of AR2225 (Retumbo) in my Tikka Super Varmint 25-06, not shot at game yet so not sure of the down range performance. Accuracy needs a little tinkering still at this point although velocities are okay at around 3170fps.

I have been running a 25/06 since 1967 here in Tasmania(Australia). My main quarry has been Fallow deer & I have used 100 Hornady S.P.s with great success for quite a few years. I then went to Nosler 115 Ballistic Tips with equal success. Also 110 Accubonds.
I cannot recall exactly how many deer I have taken with my various 25/06 rifles but if you pushed me to choose just 1 bullet, it would have to be the 115 Ballistic Tip at a little over 3100fps closely followed by the 110 Accubond. Really splitting hairs.
Either bullet will do the job.
Good luck.

I just picked up a Tikka 25-06 for my wife to shoot out west (Wyoming) this year, and I'm looking for people's experience/recommendation with bullets for this round. She drew an antelope and muley tag, both bucks this year. I would say the max she will be shooting is to 400 yards, but realistically under 300. I do reload and my initial thoughts are to start with the 110 gr accubond, however I am open to other suggestions. I've searched online but not a whole lot of discussion on modern bullets for this ol round. The only one else who reloaded for the 25-06 in my family was my grandfather and he used 120 gr core loks. What do you think, is the accubond the right place to start?
110 gr accubond with retumbo works real nice in my 25-06! Nice muley in Colorado last year 175 yds never took a step very clean kill!!!

I use the 115 GR Berger in my Browning X bolt over H1000. I hope to finally get to try the bullet out on a whitetail doe here in North Dakota this year. I've killed several mule deer with various bullets and the 25-06 in my teenage years. It's an excellent choice for the game you're after. I really haven't heard a bad suggestion from anyone yet. If you like the Accubond then roll with it. I'm sure it will do just fine. Or you can always go with one of the other excellent suggestions you were given here.

I think would do well to use a 100 gr. bullet. Wore out 2 25-06 barrels with H4831 and 100 gr. bullets. Mostly Sierra boattails which shot the best in my guns. One with a 26" barrrel ran just over 3400 FPS on an Ohler chrono. Killed 52 deer, 27 antelope, and more coyotes, and other varmints than I can remember with that load. I do not believe that you need Nosler Partitions and heavier bullets for deer and antelope. With proper shot placement any good 100 grainer will work well. Develop one good load and stick with it. Good luck on your hunting.

Another for 115 BT or Berger. I killed just about everything NM has to offer with 115 BT in my 25-06

Retumbo as mentioned above can be a very good powder for the 25-06. I took an antelope at 375 yards with Retumbo and 110 Accubond. Was a very accurate combo in my rifle.
Also like RL22 and 117 Gamekings. Old school stuff, but lots of folks shoot the 117 Gamekings in 25-06 with good results. Sierra has accuracy loads for the 25-06 with RL22 and Gamekings that will shoot in about anything and can be very accurate too.

My buddy and I over the past 30 years of which most of it we did crop damage control have killed a couple train car loads of whitetail deer with the 25-06 and one bullet that stands out is the old Sierra 117 gr. Either the BT Game King or the flat base Pro Hunter which I prefer. One of these go to loads will usually shoot better than you can hold. 49 grs IMR or AA 4350 or 52 grs H4831 or the SC version. Both loads will run around 3000 fps depending on the barrel. This is one GREAT killing bullet in a GREAT drop them in their tracks caliber rifle. Sight the rifle in 3" high at 100 yards and hold center of shoulder out to 350 yards and 99% of the time, bang flop.
Copy that..the Sierra 117 game king and pro hunter, accubond 110, are my tested/proven bullets for my Cooper 25-06. Perfect for antelope and mule deer in Wyoming/Montana where you often have 200-400 yd shots and 10-20mph winds. I step up the cartridge choice for bigger/tougher animals like elk although I know some guys would debate that. I like more thump on elk. The 4831 sc and IMR 4350 powders all do well in my rifle with above mentioned bullets. Longest shot on antelope was 360 yds with sitting position bipod and Sierra pro hunter. Bang flop, two steps. 310yds longest on mule deer in 22 mph quartering wind. 110 accubond recovered under skin on opposite shoulder 70% weight. Mule deer took two steps and dropped to knees. Caution on 117 Sierra boat tail at short range. Snuck up on antelope buck to 25 yards and shot thru shoulders and antelope walked in circles for 30 seconds with giant holes in him . Bullet blew up on entrance and exit. Golf ball holes in animal... probably wud happen to most high velocity bullets at 20 yards but don't know that for fact. Only time I snuck that close to speed goats ..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.