Recommended bullet for 25-06 & 7mm Rem Mag??

longrange.270

Which bullets would you recommend for a 25-06 & 7mm Rem Mag. Both guns are going to be used for hunting deer 300 yards or less. I'm going to be loading for a guy on both of these calibers and he wanted something that didn't tear too much meat up. Any ideas would be great. Thanks Jake

In my 7mm mag I am using two bullets, 160 Accubond for less than 350 yds and 162 A-max at 350 yds + (both bullets at 3070 fps)
I have only shot one deer under 300yds, a red spiker at 96 yds. The deer was facing straight away from me, the bullet travelled the length of the deer, but did not exit.
I would recommend the 140 or 160 accubond, depending on animal size. I am not sure if other bullets would give less meat wastage.
I am a firm believer that you can't eat it if it isn't dead. I always shoot to put the animal down as fast as possible and then worry about meat recovery later.

Hope this helps,

Stu.

For the 7mm, as others have suggested, the 160 gr. Accubond is hard to beat. I have shot 5 Elk, and a few deer with that bullet and have really liked the performance.

For the 7mm Mag, just about any bulllet will do from the 120 Ballistic tip or the 120 Barnes Tiped triple Shock.. or any of the 140's, what ever you gun shoots best. The 7 mag is not very meat frendly at all, most deer I've killed with it have been bloodshot from mid neck to the hind quarters on the entrance side, and that shot thru the ribs, heaven forbid you hit a shoulder.
The 25-06 inside 100yards you need a very well constructed bullet, forget the plaun old soft points and Ballistic tips, there like little granades, stick with the 100gr Nosler Patition or the Barnes Triple Shock (tipped ones) and you just might want to look at the "New" Barnes 80gr Tipped Triple shock. from 100 yards plus most of the bullets made for whitetails work pretty good. I've killed maybe a dozen deer with the 7 mm Mag with 140 Ballistic Tips, no real complaints except for the amount of Bloodshot meat. I've kill upwards of 2 dozen with the 25-06, most with the 100gr Partition and inside 100 yards :D
It is a deer killin machine. All and all for a whitetail round you can't beat the 25-06 very little meat damage and more times that not you get a DRT responce out of them.. :cool:

LR270,
I have alot of experience with both cartidges and both are deer killing machines. With the .25-06, I've used the 100/115gn Ballistic Tip, the 117gn Sierra SBT and the 100gn TSX. Of these, the 100gn TSX was the most impressive. DRT, no matter the range. I had great accuracy with the 115gn Berger VLD and good accuracy with the 110 AB, but never got around to smaking a deer with'em.
The 7Mag I've used alot. I've shot tons of bullets, through several 7Mag rifles, and always settled on the 150gn Nosler Ballistic Tip for everything. I reloaded this bullet for years with 67gns of RL22 and the CCI BR2. Now I'm shooting 63.5gn of IMR4350 and the 9.5M primer. DRT, no matter the range! JohnnyK.

7mm mag bullet for deer, 154 gr Hornady Interlock, best I found but I just don't like the 7 mag for deer, too much gun with too heavy bullet construction for me. I have killed well over 150 deer with a 25-06 and I have found nothing better than a Sierra 117 gr. bullet. It will blow the front shoulders off a deer but it kills them DRT 99% of the time at any range you can connect on a deer. It is accurate also and don't cost an arm and a leg like some bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.