25-06 and 75 grain V-MAX

lee31

Wondering if anyone has shot any coyotes or crows with this combo. I loaded up some today. My load I came up with was 52 grains of RL-15 and a Fed 210 primer seated .020 off the lands.
My results were 3750fps and es of 9 fps and a 3 shot group of .242 . I think I have found myself the ultimate O to 5-600 yard varmint round. Can't wait to shoot a coyote with this setup.

Attachments

• IMG_20141227_115825_992.jpg
    IMG_20141227_115825_992.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_20141227_121203_625.jpg
    IMG_20141227_121203_625.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 389
When I was forming brass for my .25-06 AI, I was loading up Nosler 85 BT's seated to the lands (to properly form the brass), and a reduced load of around 45gr of RL-19. They were shooting bughole groups like that, too. I couldn't help but laugh, because at that point, I knew that rifle was destined to be a shooter. :D

Now my load for it is the Berger 115 VLD's, and it's stacking those, too.

Sorry to report that I haven't had a chance to use them on any game yet. After deer season when its still cold I'll be doing some coyote hunting with it. So I should be able to find out sooner or later.

Wondering if anyone has shot any coyotes or crows with this combo. I loaded up some today. My load I came up with was 52 grains of RL-15 and a Fed 210 primer seated .020 off the lands.
My results were 3750fps and es of 9 fps and a 3 shot group of .242 . I think I have found myself the ultimate O to 5-600 yard varmint round. Can't wait to shoot a coyote with this setup.

Never tried the 75 v=max but that is just about the same as I was getting with the serria 75hp. and 4831 good coyote load

Can you SPLAT! I bet that V-Max will start coming apart on the hair before it hits the hide. I have never shot a yote but 87 Sierras running around 3400 fps are WICKED on ground hogs. Red mist and scattered pieces.
I shot a fox a few years ago at 111 yards with the Sierra 117 Pro Hunter and it really messed him up. I had shot one deer earlier and since I could kill more than one deer a day I was still in the stand weighting on another deer. I looked down the logging road I was hunting on toward the deer I had shot earlier and this fox was standing up on my deer getting ready to chow down. Picked him right off my deer.

I doubt it will even have time to come apart from a few hairs to impacting the animal. That would be like a millasecond . I'll let you know when I shoot a coyote .

I have shot a lot of .257" 75 gr Vmax at 3600 fps at targets. I can get 5 shots in less than a half inch at 100y.

I have killed thousands of rodents with a 223 35 gr Vmax at 3600 fps. It makes a lot of pink mist.

85 gr Nosler B.T. Is my varmint load. Use H4831 SC. Shoots really good and has a pretty good explosive effect. The 75 gr V -Max shot really good but never shot anything with it. It was going to be the B.T. or the V-Max . Had more B.T.s than V MAX so BT won. Seems to be a very accurate bullet in a lot of 25/06

The 75gr. v-max out of the 25-06 is the most explosive combo I have seen. If you edge a coyote you will have a gigantic hole to sew up. Definitely will put them down right now.

A buddy of mine tried the V-Max at right around 4k, was super explosive. He claimed so explosive it didn't get deep enough on the first few coyotes he shot with it and didn't kill immediately, he switched up to a little heavier constructed bullet to get into the goods.

I tried the 75 gr Sierra for 2 seasons hunting groundhogs in OH. It was very accurate as you can tell from others who have shot it.

There was one shortcoming that made me go back to the 87 gr bullet. The 75 gr just ran out of steam at around 300 yards. I had times where the bullet went through the animal and times where it just exploded. Performance on game was erratic.

After those 2 seasons I went back to the 87 gr bullet which I feel is the best bullet for killing varmints.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.