6X284 (Load for 87 and 75 grn V-MAX)

Wildcat,
Don't necessarily think you need to change your barrel if the 87 V Max doesn't work . Have a look at the 90 gn Berger boat tail , 88gn low drag etc. BC of the 90gn is slightly better than the V Max .
I have found that my rifle likes the 80gn Berger best even though the barrel is 9 twist . The Bergers are quite soft in the jacket and seem to expand well at .243 Ackley velocities .
This is starting to sound like an ad for Berger I know . Was hoping for big things from the V Maxes myself but just didn't work for me .

CriagB, let me know how the 75grn's work for you. I will try the 75grn V-max bullets after I test the 87grn V-max.

Wildcat

I am not trying to take this thread in another direction- But I shoot the 75 grain Vmax out of my 6BR and I get the same, if not slightly better accuracy than I do with the Bergers. I tried the 68, 70, and 85 grain bergers. I have not killed a yote with this bullet yet, bet the mornings are getting frosty here in Alberta and I will get serious about it in a few more weeks. BTW Wildcat, sounds like a great rig you have got there.

Bushchook, don't underestimate the V-Max. My experience with these bullet were nothing short of outstanding. I used the 87 grain on my 6MM Remington and the 40 grain for my 222 Remington Magnum 40X rifle. Here's some sample. I doubt if Berger can do better... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

IMGP0505.jpg

IMGP0506.jpg

Thanks Longdraw, for the compliment about the rig. I saw her today, she is pretty much completed and looks great. I will try to post pics as soon as she is done.

Wildcat

Desert Fox, your exactly right about the V-max bullets. I think many underestimate the accuracy of V-Max bullets. By the way, awesome groups and great shooting. I have had excellent results with the V-MAX aswell. I shoot the 40grn V-max out of my 220 Swift, and I shoot in the 1's and 2's all day long. The expansion of these bullets is incredible and they blow the H*LL out of varmints. No other bullet, in my opinion, comes close to their explosive power. I am really looking forward to seeing how the 87grn V-max will shoot. Like I said, I am wanting to get close to 3800fps with the 87grn V-Max, however, it will probably be more like 3700 to 3750fps. I can't wait to see what the 87grn V-max, traveling at 3750fps, will do to a varmint. I will also test the 75grn V-Max, I think I will be able to push the 75grn V-Max at around 4000fps or a little faster. I have heard that shooters are getting excellent results, at long range , with this bullet too. I will let you know as soon as I begain doing load testing. I just finished cleaning flash holes, uniforming primer pockets, necking the cases down from 6.5 to 6mm, trimming, neck turning, ect about two hundred pieces of Lupa brass. I can't wait to shoot this baby!!

Desert Fox, what is the length and twist of your barrel?

Wildcat

Wildcat, I'm pushing the 87 grain V-Max at around 3300 fps on a 28 inch 10 twist Shilen match grade barrel. The load consist of 43.5 grain of IMR 4350, Federal 210 Match primer on a Remington Brass. I believed it is still 2 grain below max. I could easily get 3450 if I needed to but I found a perfect balance between accuracy and velocity at 3300. I've lost track of how many ground squirrels, jacks and crows bit the dust courtesy of the 87. The longest shot was on a crow at 698 yards. Even at that distance I'm stil amazed at the explosiveness of the V-Max even on such small target as crow. The V-Max had reduced the crow into a meriad of floating feathers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Ive shot two coyotes with the 87gr V-max out of my 6x284. One at 341 yards Useing a medium load of H4831. Only doing 3400 at muzzel. Still yote looked like he was hit by lightning. Bulet hit him in chest as he was faceing me. No exit he just drop in tracks. 2nd coyote shot brodside at shoulder bone.90 yds Faster load. Bullet blew up on shoulder made a big splatter wound and the shank of bullet exited. Once again dog droped in its tracks with a bunch of blood splatter all over its body, it was still bleeding after it was dead.Entance was much bigger than exit.

Thanks for the info and stories. I am looking forward to shooting squirrels and coyotes with this awesome bullet. It's going to be fun.

Wildcat

Iron Worker, sounds like you have seen first hand the destructivness of the V-Max.

Wildcat

Wildcat
My 6-284 just does not seem to like IMR or H4350 with the 75Vmax. The groups seem to hang in the .5 to .7 range. I loaded some of the 75's and worked my way up to 55 gr of RE19. I'm loading with about .0015 jam. The group shrunk to just under .3. I think I am still about 1 grain under max. Also think I am still about 1/2 grain under max with the 87 Vmax and RE22(54.2). That load is still shooting in the two's for me and is loaded right at the lands. I need to get my hands on a chrono to see where I am though. I saw your other post, sounds like your gun is shooting good.

Craig, I was really excited about the performance with H4350 and the 87grn V-Max. It's fun when it only takes a couple of test loads to get your dedicated load. This was the fastest I've ever had a load work. It usually takes a couple of times at the range before I decide on a load.

Wildcat

Hey another nuclear load is 59grs of Re#19 with a Sierra Blitz 70gr. Out of my 26" its produceing 3,900FPS.Bullet isn't touching the lands(Every Rifle is different) if it was the bullet would fall out of the case.Fed Primer Norma new Brass. However shot a couple of squirrels up close and all it did was blow them in half.I didn't see any "red mist fly" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifThis saddened me. But hey we all need to forget the pass and move on,can't let things like that get us down.

Iron Worker, if you want RED MIST, go with V-Max bullets, Nosler Ballistic Tips are good too!! V-Max's really send them flying and in many different parts. Fun stuff!!

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.