25-06 V-Max seating depth

wallypedal

WW and Hornady data show this bullet seated deep with a COL of only 3.10. Does moving the bullet out towards the lands effect pressure? Do the reduction in 'freebore' and the increase in capacity offset each other pressure-wise? It appears there is a fair amount of movement toward the lands possible. Top of my pressure eval set was WW brass, 75 gr Hornady v-max, 55.5 gr 760, Federal match primer, seated to 3.10 like the book says.
Tom

tom,i shoot these vmax bullets in my 25-06 also.i use imr 4064 in winchester cases.i seat my bullets out as far as i can.i only shoot these as singles,none in magazine.the bullet is only held by about 1/16" in the neck.but shoots very well.kinda makes a mess when these bullets touch woodchucks.check to see how far you can seat your bullets out.they are short,your rifle may have a deeper throat than mine.only one way to find out.check it.jason

Okay, Jason. I'm gonna experiment with it soon. When you move them out do you have to use less/more powder to get the same sort of velocity? How many grains of 4064 are you using? My rifle is an Encore, so no worries on length until loaded to the lands. I keep thinking I ought to be able to really squeeze some velocity while keeping accuracy too with that 28" barrel

I have loaded my 75g vmax to 3.2" in rugers and winchesters with no problems. 3.10" is a bit on the short side to me...You can go longer if you wish, just make sure your not to far in the lands.

Touching the lands with this bullet works best for me in my KM77 Ruger, single loaded.Powder of choice is H414 and FedGM215 primer.3900fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.