25-06 with 75 Vmax.

firstcoueswas80

i have loaded up a few loads with this load and was wondering what everyone else has had for over all lenght. i didnt realize how short these bullets were until i loaded them! they seem to be in there pretty well and am just curious of your over all lenght thanks!

i believe, off the top of my head i had them loaded to 3.115... with there extremly low BC, i am really thinking about changing over to the 85 ballistic tips, depending on how they shoot

See, that's the problem, in my gun and most others I hear about, that 75 VMax is accurate as hell in a 25'06. I get 4,000fps and have had a few quarter inch, five shot groups. It's suitable out to about 400 before it starts dropping a lot. I wish they made a 90/100 grain in 25 caliber, but they don't, so I wind up using the 100 grain Ballistic Tip. It's good, but not as accurate, in my gun. Just easier to hit with, at longer ranges.

I load my 75g V-Max at 3.125 to shoot from my Sigarms quarter-bore. I agree with LB, though. They are 1/2 minute accurate out to about 400 and then........

out to 400 will fit the bill for me. i will be mostly shooting prarie dogs and coyotes with this gun. if i go for anything bigger, i will load up some accubonds. but i still i am seriously thining the 85 ballistic sounds nicer

LB,
For long range, wouldn't the 115 berger vld be the way to go? 0.522 BC; you'd still be super sonic all the way out to about 1500 yards.

from the sounds of it, hes only wanting to shoot out to 400 yards. the 75g and 85g will shoot flatter out to that distance, but thats it. after that, the heavier bullets with higher bcs will shoot flatter, even if they dont, who cares if you have clicks. Dont know if he does or not, but. the 85g btip is a great bullet, loaded to 3600-3700fps, its dynamite on anythign it hits. accuracy is great out of my rifles, will shoot the required 1/2moa to 500 yards or so. give the 75's a try, when you hit stuff with them bullets, you'll likely love the outcome. if your not satisfied, go to the 85g btip. if your still not satisfied with the explosiveness, then you need a faster caliber. just my opinion.

I guess you've got a point. It all depends on what you want the bullet to do. If I was to have a 25-06, which I'm planing on getting one, and I would want to have one load from rats to deer at long ranges, then I would go for the 115 Verger VLD; if I had the time to work up different loads and get the benefits of the explosive ones then I see what you're saying. As you get older, some of us anyways, kind of settle down a bit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I completely agree with you. I tested almost every bullet, at least every weight you can out of my 2 25-06s over the 5 years I've had this caliber. I have come to find that the best is the 115g btip. Still gives some pop on varmints. Works on coyotes, works on deer. From short to long range, with great accuracy. Not as good as the VLD for range, but for a hunting bullet, you cant beat it. Unless you get the 125g ULD wildcats. Which I tried them to. Great bullets as well out of the 25-06.

remingtonman_25_06,
In your opinion, which one would be your preffered 25-06 factory rifle? I'm sure your have stated that already some place. I thank you in advanced for your answer.

The ol would depend on the throat in your gun and the magazine length . my own 25-06 is a Ruger km77varmit,it has a short throat( wonder of wonders). I load 75gr VMax touching the lands.Big charge of H414 fed215 match Crono's at 3900 and .5" group @100. It got me in the 500yd club with a shot at663yds an about 20moa elivation on scope.For the longer shots I use 115gr Berger VLD's.These are loaded with VHIT N165 to 3300fps and good to get me in the 1K club for a 1203yd shot last summer.
Old Bear

Eaglet

I've got to play with 3 25-06's. 2 were/are the same rifle. They were Ruger Stainless/synthetics. Nothing more then trigger jobs. One was mine, one is my dads. I shot my barrel out years ago. My rifle was quite a bit more accurate then my dads. I had several loads with different bullets from 75, 85, 100, 115g bullets that would shoot .5" at 100 yards, and usually 4-5 inches at 500 yards. My new 25-06 is a winchester sporter. It has given me my smallest 100 yard group to date at .043" for 3 shots. With 117g sbt bullet. It is also a very accurate 25-06. I have not tested as many weights and bullets with this rifle, but I have shot it enough to know its a litle more accurate then my ruger was. My dads ruger is about a .75" rifle with most plastic tip bullets. There is nothing wrong with my Winchester, but I"m sure a remington sendero in a 25-06 are shooters, as anythign in a Remington is. I cant tell you which rifle is the most accurate in a 25-06, other then most 25-06's are pretty inherently accurate. THey are not fussy to load for. Pretty good coyote/deer round in my opinion.

Ruger VT 25/06

G'day

Though it has been a while since the last reply to this thread I though I'd include the following load which returns groups of less than 1 inch at 200m in my Ruger VT, beyond that I haven't tried;

75g V-Max
62gr AR2213SC
Federal Match primers
Win Cases

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.