6X284 (Load for 87 and 75 grn V-MAX)

wildcat

Hey guys, I am currently prepping cases for my 6x284, and I am looking for load info using the 87grn and 75grn V-MAX. My barrel is 30" and 1-12 twist. I am wanting to get about 3700 to 3800fps with the 87grn V-MAX, and 3800 to 3900 with the 75grn V-MAX. I have the following powders in my possession;
H4350
H4831 Short Cut
IMR4831
H414
H380
VHIT N165

I would like to use one of the powders mentioned, so any load data you have regarding the formentioned powders and 87 and 75 grn V-MAX would be great. However, any load data would be great too!!!

Wildcat

There has got to be someone out there that uses this type of bullet. I am hoping for some good advice.

Wildcat

I'm sorry that no one has responded to your needed info. If you are totally stumped, I would suggest that you compare the case capacity of the 6/284 to the 244 AI. Loading data is available for the 244 AI.

I have 244 AI cases and can give you the capacity in grains of water to the case mouth.

Go to the Go Go Varmint Board and pose the same question, you will get lots of help, www.varminthunters.com

I think that you have a world class cartridge, and you are going to make a lot of memories with it!

All I can do is quote the Hodgdon #26 manual

bullet powder min. max
75 gr H4831 52.0 55.0
H380 42.0 46.0

85 gr. H4831 49.0 53.0

This is the data listed for powders you requested, shoot me an email and I can scan and send you all the data.
You may also find something on reloadersnest.com, lots of data there.
JS

Thanks guys, I've got some good data, I just wanted to hear what you guys might have. Thanks!!

Wildcat

I did not reply because my barrel isn't that long! I have a 6/284 25" with 12" twist. I mostly shoot 58gr VMax for varmints and 85 gr SGK for deer size game. I tried H380, H4350 and H414, could not get the accuracy and velocities I wanted. With the 58 gr VMax I load 48.5 of IMR4320 (3950 fps). And with the 85 gr I shoot 43.8 of H4895 (3550 fps). 70 gr Nosler BT shoot good at 3700 fps and will probably go with that when I run out of the 58 grainers.

shooting these light weight bullets I found that H414 was the best powder up to 90 gr. bullet weight.
UB

UncleB, I have a bunch H414, so I will try some during my next load testing. I am going to try H4831SC and H4350. I am going try 53grns of H4350, I should get close to 3800fps with this combo, with good accuracy, I hope! If I can get good accuracy with that speed, using the 87grn V-MAX, this should be a very good long range combination with explosive power on varmints.

The above mentioned load, 53grns H4350, was on relaodersnest.com indicating 3650fps with 87grn V-MAX, using a 26", 1-10 twist barrel. I am thinking I should get close to 3800fps, because I will be using a 30", 1-12 twist barrel. Those two factors should get me the extra 150fps of velocity. The 87grn V-MAX has a BC of .400, this is pretty impresive for a poly tipped bullet. I've read some stories about how accurate, how good it bucks the wind, and explosive this bullet is at long ranges. I will be using this rifle for varmint hunting at ranges up to 1000 yards.

I want to use the 87grn V-Max, because I will be shooting coyotes at very long ranges, and I want them to drop quickly. I love the VLD bullets, I know they buck the wind better, but they don't kill as well as the poly tipped bullets. I've had experience with this, I shot a coyote, at a little over 700 yards with my 6.5x284, using a 139grn Lupa scenar at a velocity of 2900fps. I hit the yote, but it did not drop quickly. The yote ran off, of course not very far, but it was able to run off after I nailed him good. When I found the yote, the bullet basically went right through him. I know this is pretty common with these types of bullets, so that's why I want to concentrate on shooting the 87grn V-Max. I know when I hit a yote, with an 87grn V-Max traveling at 3800fps, it's going to drop him quickly, let alone turn his insides into mush. I will let you guys know how this combo works, I should be receiving my 6x284 by Saturday, so I should be able to test her next Sunday. For those who are interested, here are the specs for my 6x284;

1. Caliber-6x284 with 272 Tight Neck
2. Action-Nesika Model K, 1.450 Dia, w/tactical bolt knob
3. Barrel-Krieger 30", 1-12, 1.250 tapered to 1.00
4. Stock-McMillan A-5, Thumbwhell CP, 3 Way Spacer Sys.
5. Jewel 2oz trigger
6. Vias Muzzle brake
7. Davidson base w/20 MOA
8. Kelby 30mm rings
9. Nightforce 12x42x56mm NXS with Double Dot Ret.
10. Rifle weight is around 15 pounds

I will try to post pics as soon as I get her. If you guys have more load data for the 87 and 75grn V-Max, please keep it coming. Thanks!

Wildcat

wildcat ,
You obviously want to push the edge of the envelope with this rifle as we've heard lots about the velocity that you expect to be able to attain . 3800 FPS may be achievable though I suspect very hot with the 87gn V Max . Have you considered the strong possibility that your most accurate loads may be at 100 - 200 fps below maximum ? You got to hit 'em before you can kill 'em . A projectile that whistles past a dog's ear at 3800 FPS is seldom as effective as one between the eyes at 3600 . In other words , don't become too focussed on high velocity .
No arguement , the the V Max is a good killer but ... neither of the Hornadys shoot in the same league as Bergers for accuracy in my experience . If you want match grade accuracy then you need match grade projectiles and the V Max doesn't win too many matches . The Bergers also kill well BTW .
Be wary of what you read on the internet . Lots of people report great groups but how many quote the actual group size and can they repeat that performance at will ? One great 3 shot group doesn't make an accurate projectile (or rifle) . 1/2 to 3/4 MOA is great accuracy in the eyes of many but you are building a rifle that should easily be capable of half that . Why limit that accuracy potential with (relatively) cheap projectiles ?

Hey I'm the guy that posted that load in Reloaders nest. I pretty much shoot that load exclusivly. However lately I've shot the Sierra Blitz with 60grs of re#19. It was bad to the Bone. Oh my initials are LW so you don't think I'm BSing you. Any questions ask?

Wildcat, I have a tuned Savage single shot with a 27.5", 1-10 twist Pac-Nor barrel, SSS long range stock, SSS recoil lug, skim bedded. With the 87VMax, my most accurate load has been between 54 and 54.2gr of RE22. I have not chronographed this load, so I can not give you a velocity. What I can say is that it shoots around 1/4" three shot groups, and I have shot three groups less than .2 inch. I searched every site I could find for loads with the 87Vmax, and RE22 came up numerous times. I have tried H4350, but the accuracy was just not at the same level as RE22 in my gun. I am trying IMR4350 with the 75Vmax now, but I have not shot the loads for groups yet. With a 30" barrel, RE22 should give you pretty good speed. Hope this helps.

Yes, I am well aware that my groups will probably be tighter with lower velocities, I am just hoping I can achieve both. Sorry, if that upsets you!! I know that velocity doesn't equal accuracy, I would like to get 3800fps with 87grn V-Max, but I am thinking it will be more like 3700fps. By the way, I am not new to shooting. I've been doing it for years, and I know what I am doing. I know bullets such as the Sierra Match Kings, Hornady A-Max, and Berger VLD bullets have much better BC's and are used for match shooting, ect. However, with this particular rifle, I am concentarting on the light, poly tipped bullets. If they don't work for me, than I will buy another barrel, with different twist rate, and shoot the 105's & 107's. However, I have a feeling I am going to be pretty happy with this set up.

Wildcat

Wildcat, I'm with you. I can't think of any good reason to own a 6-284 other than speed. If I wanted pure accuracy I would have went with a 6BR. My problem is that the RE22 load shoots so good. I was hoping for around 3650fps, but since I don't have a chrono I'm not sure of velocity. You should get more velocity than I do based on barrel length. I'm still working on the 75Vmax and IMR4350, I'll post again if I get my hands on a chrono.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.