1944 M1 GARAND REFURBISH

org57

I have a Springfield Arms, M1 GARAND, barrel is dated 5-44, and other markings show same dated period. I have found out by the serial number that this M1 was used during the Korean conflict. I took the rifle to JAMES RIVER ARMORY (this armory does the restoration for the civilian marksmanship program. They advised me that the barrel was worn out and needed replacing. They advised me that they would completely go through the rifle, replace the worn out, unsafe parts, parkerise the gun back to original specifications, to include the proper markings on the stock. I advised that I wanted all replaced original parts. Should I continue with the refurbish this piece of history? Illness does not allow me to hunt any more, but I would not want to leave someone or even sell the rifle to anyone when it is not safe. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC02247.JPG
    DSC02247.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 506
  • DSC02248.JPG
    DSC02248.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC02249.JPG
    DSC02249.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 460
  • DSC02250.JPG
    DSC02250.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 421
  • DSC02252.JPG
    DSC02252.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 394
  • DSC02253.JPG
    DSC02253.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 390
  • DSC02254.JPG
    DSC02254.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 403
Depends on your intended purpose

If its resale value to collectors, then more often than not its advisable NOT to refurbish or replace anything-- keeping it all original usually retains the highest resale value to "true" collectors.

If it is to make sure it's safe to fire, then just replace safety items

If it's to restore, then yes- restore to original condition knowing that this may reduce the collector value to "true" collectors

THANKS FOR THE REPLY.I am a disabled vet of 21 years (ARMY), and this rifle means everything to me. I am keeping all the original parts that MUST be replaced to make it safe as I will probably leave to me grandson when I depart this life. He does not perceive the true history of this gun but I want it to be safe. I believe the barrel is the only unsafe item to be replaced. Thanks again and MAY GOD BLESS ALL OUR TROOPS AND EMBRACE ALL OUR FALLEN HERO'S.

I would leave it all original (including barrel) and educate your beneficiary to the history and particulars of the firearm. The history of the Korean War, is interesting (to me any way) and plays an integral part to our current global stance and political atmosphere. In my opinion, these weapons have transcended their original purpose. They now tell a story that reminds us of what and whom came before us. Sure they can go bang, but they're so much more than a firearm at this point. You can buy your Grandson a much better "modern" firearm for the money, for the cost of refurbishment and he'd still have this heirloom to remember you by, after the above mentioned history lessons.

There only "original" .30 Cal. M1s are in museums. The rest are "mix-masters" , having been rebuilt numerous times. Something has been changed,,,,, the clip latch, the operating rod, the gas cylinder. JAMES RIVER ARMORY would have informed you if this rifle is a 'collector', or not. They do this work exclusively. And, there's a difference between a worn out piece and a 'collector'. The true "collector" is in "as issued" condition, not one with numerous worn out parts. I see numerous Colt revolvers come through my shop every year that are worn out beyond repair, yet their owners' still seem to think they are worth a million bucks!

You are also correct, when I took the rifle to James River Armory, he told me the rifle with the serial number on it which was a low number was from the Korea conflict era. He advised that the stock had been changed due to it being mahogoney not birch. He also advised that even thought the barrel serial number (5-44) meant it could have been used near the end of WWII but could not be certified and that it was most likely used in Korea. I advised him to check it out and advise. He told me that the rifle was worth about $1100 in current condition and if refurbished to original condition with a Criterion barrel that it would be worth $1500 with all parts parkerized and in new condition. Please excuse my spelling.

The first thing that caught my eye was the length of the bayonet. The length of the bayonet fits the date on the rifle. Later about the Korean War they came up with a shorter bayonet. About 6 inch blade. The story we was told in basic training by a Army Sgt. in 1962 was the long ones went through small soldiers and was hard to remove, In hand to hand battle situations.
The rifle sling may be out of date, My dad was in WW II (1944-45) He talked about the sling being leather, And taught me how you had to wrap your arm in the sling. They were later WEB (cloth) With the loop that opened so it could go on and pull tight on your upper arm then wrap around your fore arm. I carried a M-1 in basic training (1962) with a Web sling and short bayonet.
Great you gave this old War Horse a good home.
My every day work belt has a ARMY leather sling double claw hook with shouldered rivets buckle that dates back to WWII.

You are also correct, when I took the rifle to James River Armory, he told me the rifle with the serial number on it which was a low number was from the Korea conflict era. He advised that the stock had been changed due to it being mahogoney not birch. He also advised that even thought the barrel serial number (5-44) meant it could have been used near the end of WWII but could not be certified and that it was most likely used in Korea. I advised him to check it out and advise. He told me that the rifle was worth about $1100 in current condition and if refurbished to original condition with a Criterion barrel that it would be worth $1500 with all parts parkerized and in new condition. Please excuse my spelling.
That is about the going rate for M1s, currently...

I would not touch a thing as it looks great and is original only once. It is true that almost all WWII rifles probably went thru re-armoring at least once or twice, but that is still original in my view. I have a CMP 1942 Garand that was re-armored for the Korean War with a new Ogden Armory stock and re-barreled in 1952. I bought it in memory of my dad that served in both WWII and Korea and I would never touch it. Even with a worn barrel it shoots great by the way!

You also mention that your rifle is unsafe. A worn barrel may or may not shoot well, but it is safe to shoot unless something else is wrong. These guns were so over built that I doubt your rifle is unsafe. All CMP rifles are safe to shoot if that's where you got it. Any competent gunsmith can check the gun out and tell you whether it is unsafe to shoot for a modest fee. In any case, you can attach a note to the display on the back that you don't know whether the rifle is safe to shoot and leave it to your heirs to sort it out.

Most of the M1s are mix masters, as they have gone through several armory rebuilds. If your rifle has not gone through one, and is all original, meaning it has all the parts it came with originally, it is worth a lot, and leave it alone, even with a worn out barrel. These rifles would go to the armories, where they were torn apart. Triggers went in one box, barrels and receivers went to a barrel, bolts another, op rods another. They would.inspect everything and replace worn parts and put them back together. You might get a Springfield receiver with an International Harvester trigger group and an H&R op rod with a Winchester bolt.

B
I bought my M1 from CMP-South completely refurbished for $1035 shipped. $1100 worn out, $1500 refurbished seems way high. Call CMP in Anniston, AL or Port Huron, OH for knowledgeable input on values and advise on refurbishing. They know the story.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.